We're Moving!

Click for more info.

What can you tell from how a watch ticks?

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

What can you tell from how a watch ticks?

Post by watchpalooza »

Some of my mechanical watches tick with a slight metallic clang, others do not. Some tick loudly, some softly. What do differences in the ticking sounds of mechanical watches tell about what is going on inside? Some can identify issues with a car engine just by listening. Is the same true for watches? Can listening for particular characteristics of a watch’s ticking sounds identify issues or a need for servicing?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: What can you tell from how a watch ticks?

Post by Sporkboy »

Based on the experiences with Timex watch movements, you can tell something about the materials used based on the loudness of the ticking. Brass, plastic, stainless and aluminum will sound differently in loudness. This is inferred and extrapolated from what I have read and is not representative of independent research on my part.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

I will be interested to see were this conversation goes. My Timex Deep Space Snoopy ticks so loud that I can hear it across the room at night. The Timex Q is not nearly as loud. As for automatics, I have noticed that my new Glycine Airman No 1 is particularly loud and higher pitched (unscientifically) than any of my other autos (that I have noticed).
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

Majority is based on 2 things: case cavity and material.
If your automatic isn't particularly audible when it's left on a surface on a quiet night, more likely to have a plastic movement holder since it doesn't transduce the vibrations as easily... Or so I would think.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Interesting topic. I would love to be able to diagnose problems with this method, and I am sure it's possible to the trained ear.

As far as my experience goes, all I know is if you can really hear a rotor free spinning, its probably a miyota. And if you can hear a mechanical ticking from across the room, its probably a Raketa.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk