We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Free watch to whomever can get this open

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Re: Free watch to whomever can get this open

Post by PetWatch »

watchpalooza wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:24 am No joy with WD40 or light oil soaks. Tried also a wrench to hold the case while opening...broke the case opener.
What exactly broke?
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:41 am OK, that is getting serious. My ideas are starting to sound less crazy. I had edited my post above with an idea involving freezing the watch overnight, take a look at that. I know it is on the crazy side, but you broke a case opener.

Just to check, this is a screw back case right? Could it be a keyed snap back case?

I know that is crazy talk, but this is an extreme situation.

Edit: what watch is this anyway? It looks like it could be a skin diver, but can we get a picture of the front?
E6FE5D28-DD7C-4AB0-966D-C1383B360F76.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:41 am OK, that is getting serious. My ideas are starting to sound less crazy. I had edited my post above with an idea involving freezing the watch overnight, take a look at that. I know it is on the crazy side, but you broke a case opener.

Just to check, this is a screw back case right? Could it be a keyed snap back case?

Edit: what watch is this anyway? It looks like it could be a skin diver, but can we get a picture of the front?
Oh man, and it cleaned up so nicely. That is a bummer that is doesn’t want to open since that dial is... well you know what it is.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:07 pm
watchpalooza wrote:

Oh man, and it cleaned up so nicely. That is a bummer that is doesn’t want to open since that dial is... well you know what it is.
It runs fast, even after demagnetization...have to open it. Considering pulling the crystal and going in from the front.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

PetWatch wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:55 am
watchpalooza wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:24 am No joy with WD40 or light oil soaks. Tried also a wrench to hold the case while opening...broke the case opener.
What exactly broke?
Post first, replaced it...then handle. Not good.
Click Icon To Contact Me

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

watchpalooza wrote:
PetWatch wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:55 am
What exactly broke?
Post first, replaced it...then handle. Not good.
Wow. Another option is to use a penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench, it's better than WD40 for this purpose.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:07 pm
watchpalooza wrote:
It runs fast, even after demagnetization...have to open it. Considering pulling the crystal and going in from the front.
I was thinking of going through the front, but would you be able to get the dial off even with the crystal removed?
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

I recall running into a watch which only gave access from the front. Old Benrus, maybe Korean War vintage.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I'm intrigued, can't find any reference to that brand. Any chance it unscrews clockwise?

Right about now I would be pulling out some Knipex pliers to settle this matter once and for all. DON'T

tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

PetWatch wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:25 pm I'm intrigued, can't find any reference to that brand. Any chance it unscrews clockwise?

Right about now I would be pulling out some Knipex pliers to settle this matter once and for all. DON'T

Oooh, CW! Rightey-loosey!

Who knows, but I like this thinking!
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

The case is base-metal so heat expansion doesn't work very well. You probably have a better chance applying extreme cold (liquid nitrogen or something comparable) to the steel caseback to contract the size instead.

One of the pig peeves about vintage dive watches is that the case material was truly not suitable for diving, ironically enough.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Update: STILL not open. The caseback says it is stainless steel (while the case itself is clearly not) and the back is

1) Tried the opposite direction in case it would be reverse-threaded....no dice
2) Tried using a plumbing wrench to hold the case while using a case tool....nope
3) Heat did nothing except make me worry about damage

Will try a penetrating liquid as suggested by [mention]PetWatch[/mention]. Also have this tool on order...will give it a try:

May need to find a die like this to complement:
F0212948-C8F4-488D-9E66-3CB9831A7ED3.jpeg

....or maybe I’ll just try this one. She looks like she could do it:

Click Icon To Contact Me

DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

Wait, have you tried using the tri-prong caseback remover without the attachment tips? So that the circular base fits into the grooves?
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Nsjong wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:42 am Wait, have you tried using the tri-prong caseback remover without the attachment tips? So that the circular base fits into the grooves?
No, but will give it a try.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:Update: STILL not open. The caseback says it is stainless steel (while the case itself is clearly not) and the back is

1) Tried the opposite direction in case it would be reverse-threaded....no dice
2) Tried using a plumbing wrench to hold the case while using a case tool....nope
3) Heat did nothing except make me worry about damage

Will try a penetrating liquid as suggested by [mention]PetWatch[/mention]. Also have this tool on order...will give it a try:

May need to find a die like this to complement:
F0212948-C8F4-488D-9E66-3CB9831A7ED3.jpeg

....or maybe I’ll just try this one. She looks like she could do it:

In looking at the caseback, the die idea did come to mind. Not sure that it will be easy to find the die in the size you need. 3D printing a die might be possible, but not cheap to make it in a material that would be tough enough to work.

Another option might be to make a negative mold of the back, cast a positive and then cast a die in some sort of durable and ridged material.

Alternately, you could heat up a chunk of poly melt/friendly plastic, lump it on top all around and build a die that way. The problem is that polymelt isn’t all that durable. With the amount of surface area that you have, it might be OK.