We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Dial cleaning tips?

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
Sussa
MoT Member

Dial cleaning tips?

Post by Sussa »

I've decided to revisit this Timex Viscount that's been on my workbench for 4 years. I think I've found a decent donor movement and hands. While I'm waiting for that, I'd like to clean the dial. Any tips for removing the patina between 8 and 12? I can't tell if it's oxidation, dirt, or...? Thanks!
PXL_20201001_205153100.jpg
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Dial cleaning tips?

Post by watchpalooza »

The one tip I can offer is that most unprofessional attempts to restore dials result in less than astonishing results. Except for dusting off with a soft damp makeup brush or lightly touching with rodeco, I would advise to leave it alone.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sussa
MoT Member

Re: Dial cleaning tips?

Post by Sussa »

I tried vinegar diluted in distilled water on the dial of the movement donor watch to see if it would strip the paint. It didn't, and it slightly cleaned the donor, but it didn't clean the dial in the pic above. Unfortunately the new movement didn't fit, so it's back to the bench.