We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Did I Break My Eco Drive?

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
squincher
MoT Member

Did I Break My Eco Drive?

Post by squincher »

One of my eco drives ran down to the two second tick. Without thinking about which watch I was dealing with, I took out the "battery" to see what size I needed for replacement. When I realized what was going on I replaced the capacitor but the watch wouldn't run. I put a flashlight on it and it started again and ran for several hours. I put in a window sill and left it over two sunny days. I was running when I put it in, but was stopped when I took it out. It starts right up when placed under a lamp. I can't believe it didn't charge enough to stay running, but I would think it wouldn't run at all if it was broken.

Any suggestions or insight are appreciated.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Did I Break My Eco Drive?

Post by MoT »

squincher wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:02 pm One of my eco drives ran down to the two second tick. Without thinking about which watch I was dealing with, I took out the "battery" to see what size I needed for replacement. When I realized what was going on I replaced the capacitor but the watch wouldn't run. I put a flashlight on it and it started again and ran for several hours. I put in a window sill and left it over two sunny days. I was running when I put it in, but was stopped when I took it out. It starts right up when placed under a lamp. I can't believe it didn't charge enough to stay running, but I would think it wouldn't run at all if it was broken.

Any suggestions or insight are appreciated.
I wouldn't think just removing and reinstalling the capacitor would have done something to it if it wasn't starting to fail anyway.

My suggestion would be to buy a new capacitor (they are relatively inexpensive) and see if the problem remains.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

I figured that would be my best bet. I have another eco drive sitting right next to this one in my glass topped box and it is doing fine, so I kind of doubt it just ran down.
squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

Despite the best efforts of the USPS, the new capacitor arrived and everything seems to be working. Glad it doesn't have to go back as this has quickly become one of my favorites.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

squincher wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:29 am Despite the best efforts of the USPS, the new capacitor arrived and everything seems to be working. Glad it doesn't have to go back as this has quickly become one of my favorites.
Good news!
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody