We're Moving!

Click for more info.

BHI Technician Grade Distance Learning Course - Info, Impressions, and Advice

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
sistem_32
MoT Member

BHI Technician Grade Distance Learning Course - Info, Impressions, and Advice

Post by sistem_32 »

Over the last six months I've been working on the British Horological Institute's Technician Grade Distance Learning Course (DLC). In this post I'll share my impressions of the course and some tips and information you might find useful if you're considering it for yourself, including a comprehensive breakdown of the required tools and materials and where to find them. Feel free to ask any questions.

Keep in mind that I'm only a hobbyist and that I took the course purely for fun.

As of the writing of this post all links are functional, but it's inevitable that over time some will break or become irrelevant.

The BHI

The British Horological Institute (BHI) was founded in 1858 with the goal of raising the standard of British horology, which at the time was losing ground to the expertise of the Swiss and Americans. The Institute has consistently offered classes in clockmaking and watchmaking since that time, as well as published its monthly Horological Journal, which is the oldest continuously published technical journal in the world.

In addition to the Technician Grade DLC the BHI also offers a Combined Intermediate and Final Grade, which is subdivided into Clock and Watch pathways. There isn't much information available about this course, but I gather that it's a bit advanced for the hobbyist.

Anyone can join the BHI as long as they pay their annual dues (₤120 for UK residents and ₤145 (~$200) for everyone else). You must be a member to buy a DLC. If you're not a member, you can send in the papers to join the BHI and to enroll in a DLC at the same time. You can find the relevant forms here and here. The Technician Grade DLC costs ₤599 (~$835) and the Combined Intermediate and Final Grade costs ₤449 (~$625).

Membership also grants you access to a complete archive of the Horological Journal and a members-only forum. The forum isn't very active (usually under ten posts per month with the number of replies varying) but you might find it useful.

Course Structure

The Technician Grade DLC is divided into twelve Lessons. Each Lesson averages about 80 pages and comprises four sections: Knowledge and Understanding, Workshop Skills, Clock Servicing Skills, and Watch Servicing Skills. These are followed by a practical exercise and a written exercise. The last three Lessons also include examination exercises. The first Lesson is available free here, although it doesn't include the Clock Servicing Skills or Watch Servicing Skills sections, as they're introduced in Lesson 4.

The content in the Knowledge and Understanding and Workshop Skills sections is fairly self-explanatory and varies from Lesson to Lesson. The Clock Servicing Skills section focuses on the service of basic mechanical clocks, including detailed discussions of count wheel strike, rack strike, and fusee mechanisms. The Watch Servicing Skills section first focuses on quartz watches and the numerous tests that can be performed to evaluate their condition, then switches to mechanical watches. If you're following along you'll be working on a pocket watch movement, which is much larger than a wristwatch movement and easier to work on for a first-timer.

In addition to the twelve Lessons the course also includes a detailed Introduction booklet, a pamphlet titled The Practical Lubrication of Watches and Clocks, an Examination Guide, and a Syllabus and specimen papers for the various qualifications offered by the BHI.

My Experience/Impressions

It took me a total of six months to finish the course (punctuated by numerous gaps and interruptions). That just about jibes with the BHI's estimation of 420 hours.

I found the course content to be wide-ranging and detailed. Although the authors present a solid theoretical foundation they largely write from a practical point of view, offering specific advice on points that might not even occur to the amateur. They also address the human side of the industry: how to handle customers, draft a quote, etc. The diction and composition are mostly good, despite the occasional proofreading error. I do recommend that you glance at the content of each Lesson before starting the course, as some discussions come well after you might first find them useful. For example, I recommend having a look at the sections on filing in Lesson 4 and on finishing in Lesson 12 before starting the first practical exercise.

While the authors clearly hold the student to high standards, at the same time they recognize that certain skills require time and experience to master. With that in mind, if you were to gain a proficiency in all the skills laid out in the course to the standard set by the authors you would be ready to sit the Ofqual accredited Level 3 exam at the BHI's headquarters, earning you a Diploma in Clock and Watch Servicing. From the BHI's website: "The Diploma in Clock and Watch Servicing provides you with evidence of employable knowledge and skills which can lead to employment as a technician capable of undertaking basic servicing of clocks and quartz watches." More information about the exams and qualifications offered by the BHI is available here.

Tools and Materials

Following is an alphabetical list of all the tools and materials that I found necessary to complete the course. I've provided links to the tools that I liked and advice where I would have found it useful. Keep in mind, however, that this list is based solely on my own preferences and circumstances and that yours most likely differ.

Metric tooling is practically impossible to come by in America, so I've converted to the closest imperial sizes.

You can buy almost all the tools you need for the Clock and Watch Servicing Skills sections as a kit here. The Unitas-ETA 6497-1 movement is comparable to the movement used in the course. Lubricants are available here and here and oilers (not included in the kit) are available here.

All metal stock required for the practical exercises is available as a kit here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arkansas stone

Bench vise

Calipers - I recommend a pair with metal jaws, as they can be used to easily scribe accurately spaced lines parallel to the edges of a workpiece.

Center punch

Cutting broaches - Technically you should use two different sizes, a Stubs 45 enlarged by a Stubs 40, but you could probably get away with just a Stubs 45.

Dividers - Not strictly necessary if you go for metal calipers.

Drill bits - You'll need a #49 bit for Lessons 4, 5, and 10; a #50 bit for Lesson 11; and a 3/64" bit for Lessons 8 and 10. You'll also need one or two spot drills.

Drill press - The table on this press is very small, which makes workholding a bit complicated. I recommend something like this vise.

Engineer's square

Face shield

Files - The course recommends two hand files, 6" cut 1 and 4" cut 4; two half-round files, same lengths and cuts; and one crossing, one barrette, and one square needle file, all 5-1/2" cut 4. For the purposes of the course I recommend ditching the half-round files, substituting a half-round needle file for the crossing needle file, and adding a slitting needle file. For the 6" files I recommend that you buy engineer's files, but you have the option to buy precision files instead. Note, however, that a second cut engineer's file is equivalent to a cut 1 precision file. The bigger files will need handles of the appropriate sizes, which you can find here and here. By the way, if you find all these terms a bit baffling, don't worry: they're all explained in the course.

Hacksaw

Hammers - The course recommends a nylon mallet, a ball pein hammer, a clockmaker's hammer, and a watchmaker's hammer. I found that the only two I needed to complete the course were the ball pein hammer and the clockmaker's hammer.

Lathe - The lathe is the biggest and most expensive piece of equipment necessary to the course. Lesson 6 is the first to make use of it, and in that Lesson you'll find comprehensive advice on how to make your choice. I chose the TAIG Micro-Lathe II, which I bought as a kit. My biggest complaints were its lack of graduations on the Z-axis handwheel and its unstable motor mounting. Also note that I couldn't immediately find a compatible T-rest, though you might have better luck (I did find a compound top slide, which does the job). The included HSS tooling didn't work for me—I recommend upgrading to brazed carbide tooling. I also recommend upgrading the 5/32" Allen key to a ball-end T-Handle key. If you have a bit more to spend, consider the Sherline 4000/4100-Series lathes.

Layout fluid

Micrometer - This particular one feels a bit flimsy, but it's good for the money.

Piercing saw - I recommend going for one with an adjustable throat so that you can reuse broken blades. On the subject of blades, since you'll at times be sawing through stock as thin as 1 mm, you'll want nothing coarser than a size 3/0.

Propane torch

Sandpaper - The course recommends 400, 600, and 1200 grit wet and dry paper. You might also want some 220 grit for getting out any deep scratches. While we're on the subject, it's important that your paper is kept as flat as possible to avoid rounding the sharp edges of your workpiece. Stick it to something hard and flat, like a piece of glass. You might be able to get double sided tape to work, but I recommend spray adhesive. It ensures uniform adhesion and keeps water from getting under the paper and making it bubble up. Finally, change your paper often. The time and frustration you'll save is worth much more than the paper you'll "waste."

Scriber

Taps/Dies - Make sure you buy sharp, high quality taps and dies. You'll need one each of size #2-64 (tap available here, die available here) for Lessons 11 and 12 and size #0-80 (tap available here, die available here) for Lessons 8, 9 and 12. You'll also need a tap wrench and die stock.

Toolmaker's clamps (2X) - Decent ones are surprisingly hard to find. I used these, and while they sort of worked I'd advise you to get better ones if you can find them.

1-2-3 blocks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In total I spent a little under $3000 on tools and materials, including a few basic necessities not listed above (workbench, Dustbuster, etc.). I already had most of the tools required for the Clock and Watch Servicing Skills sections; if you don't, factor in another $500 or so for those (less if you're comfortable working on used movements).