As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Post by watchpalooza »

Animal Mother wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:54 am 2020 is a Leap Year. Leap Years are quirky, weird and don't come around very often. In recognition of this I'd like to set a challenge.

During the month of February, those who join in with this challenge are to find and purchase a used watch, however, in recognition to the 29 days of February 2020 the watch must be special, weird, quirky or interesting. It's up to you to determine if you think it fits that category.

The rules:
  • The watch should cost no more than US$29, GBP£22, CAD$38, EUR€29, or equivalent (ok, a few extra cents/pence here and there is no issue).
    The watch should be for you, a friend or a loved one to actually own and use.
    The watch should be in a useable condition (it's ok if you need to stick a new strap on it or similar).
    The watch must be used.
    The watch must be purchased within the month of February.
    The watch must be presented to the forum on this page from the 1st March 2020, with the watch in use and the reason why it's special, weird, quirky or interesting.
    All competitors must be "signed up" by the 1st Feb.
    The other competitors collectively determine who "won" the challenge.
I hope that you'll join me in this bit of fun.

Please add your name to the list below:

1. Animal Mother
One question...is it purely one watch for <$29, or is it what I can buy for $29? For example if I can buy two or three interesting watches totaling $29, can they be entered together as a combined entry?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

watchpalooza wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:12 am One question...is it purely one watch for <$29, or is it what I can buy for $29? For example if I can buy two or three interesting watches totaling $29, can they be entered together as a combined entry?
Knock yourself out. If you spend less than the maximum amount, and can get multiple watches, why not? Good luck.
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

Animal Mother wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:37 pm 1. Animal Mother
2. ManOnTime
3. watchpalooza
4. Sporkboy
You guys need some real competition... add me in!
:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen:
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Wolfsatz wrote:
Animal Mother wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:37 pm 1. Animal Mother
2. ManOnTime
3. watchpalooza
4. Sporkboy
You guys need some real competition... add me in!
Are we starting with the shirt talk already? That is a list with some heavy hitters on it (and myself). Good to have you in the challenge and I look forward to see what you find.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

1. Animal Mother
2. ManOnTime
3. watchpalooza
4. Sporkboy
5. TheJohnP
6. Wolfsatz
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Let me peruse ebay a little before I commit.

The beauty in this challenge is that it has to be one you'd actually use. Not too hard to find something crazy ugly for $30. But balancing quirky and wearable is the real challenge.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Boourns wrote:Let me peruse ebay a little before I commit.

The beauty in this challenge is that it has to be one you'd actually use. Not too hard to find something crazy ugly for $30. But balancing quirky and wearable is the real challenge.
Don’t forget that the watch could be intended for someone else. If that someone else would wear a ladies watch, then that is a whole different field than at least I am not used to looking at. It could open a lot of interesting possibilities. If they are into being quirky, then it should be an easy sell.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

I'm in! No shirt talking from me. I have $29 burning a hole in my pocket and need to gain some ebay experience. The only two watches I have purchased there were a "buy it now" Tag Heuer and a Parnis.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

1. Animal Mother
2. ManOnTime
3. watchpalooza
4. Sporkboy
5. TheJohnP
6. Wolfsatz
7. Split Time
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Happy Leap Year extra day! At midnight I will pull the trigger on three highly unique watches totaling €28.50 as my entry to this challenge.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Count me in for this challenge too! For $29, this should be a fun hunt on eBay.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

watchpalooza wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:21 am Happy Leap Year extra day! At midnight I will pull the trigger on three highly unique watches totaling €28.50 as my entry to this challenge.
Check your calendar, you're a month early. :P :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

ManOnTime wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:08 pm
watchpalooza wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:21 am Happy Leap Year extra day! At midnight I will pull the trigger on three highly unique watches totaling €28.50 as my entry to this challenge.
Oh my god...it HAS been one of those weeks. Lol. I guess I will have to wait a few more days to close the deals so they are in Feb.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:Happy Leap Year extra day! At midnight I will pull the trigger on three highly unique watches totaling €28.50 as my entry to this challenge.
Damn dude, you are on top of it. I only have one watch for around $25 that is in my sights. You do know a lot about lesser known vintage watches though.

Last chance to sign up for the first ever watch hunting challenge (derby?). It will be fun.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:
ManOnTime wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:08 pm
Oh my god...it HAS been one of those weeks. Lol. I guess I will have to wait a few more days to close the deals so they are in Feb.
That’s what I get for not paying attention. Just put in an offer for a quirky watch. Hopefully I can retract the offer or it gets declined.