The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Re: The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Post by Animal Mother »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:58 am
Boourns wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:31 am If this is against the rules, disregard this post. But I think this contest is done in the spirit of fun and camaraderie, so here goes:

I have found a watch that I think would be a great entry and fits all the criteria except one: being 100% honest I would NEVER wear it. So if anyone participating hasn't found an entry yet, and has an open mind as to what they'd wear, PM me and I will send you an ebay link.
Could be a gift for someone?
So that would meet the requirements.
Yep, a gift. If they don't like it at least you tried. :lol:
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

watchpalooza wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:32 am
Sporkboy wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:07 am
watchpalooza wrote:
I believe AM’s intent was to limit the cost of the watch itself, not including shipping or taxes. Even in the price of the watch, the spirit of his post is more “keep it close” than “strictly limit”. Since I haven’t seen him jump in here, let’s go with:

- The amount spent excluding shipping or taxes should not exceed the challenge pricing by more than 1.00 $/£/€
- 1 entry submitted for voting per participant
- Entries may contain 1 or multiple watches, the total spent not to exceed the challenge pricing

For voting, AM was specific to limit to participants. I think we leave it to him to decide whether he wants to change this and have broader voting.

Hopefully that is acceptable, and of course all subject to our venerable OP’s agreement, as it is his challenge.
I think that this is agreeable enough and I am pretty sure AM will be OK as there seems to be a consensus on this matter. This place works mostly on collective agreements and less on draconian rulings. Of course, the OP gets to make the rules.

As for voting, we could have a ‘participants cup’ and a ‘people’s cup’. The upside to having an open voting option is that it might get more people interested in participating in future challenges.
Like the idea of having two cups...great idea.
I agree with all of the above! It's just a bit of fun after all.

Oh, and I've bids on a watch already. ;)
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Loving this challenge. I am now spending my time searching ebay for weird and cheap watches while in the office.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Seller accepted my offer, so assuming all it needs is a battery, I am set for this challenge.

(oooooooo a clue!)
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Seller just accepted my offer too! I'm under $29.00, so I'm gonna see if I can score another watch. I have another offer in.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

It is looking like finding a watch with a BIN and offering something a little lower is a viable option for this challenge. There are a lot of interesting watches out there. Narrowing it down and finding what you want is more of the challenge vs. waiting for something to pop up.

In getting something so early in this challenge, I feel that I may have missed a future opportunity to meet the challenge better, but the ebb and flow of item availability is a crapshoot. I guess that is where the fun is.

Someone once gave a colorful description of Craig’s list, but I will adapt it for eBay as it applies here as well.

eBay is a river of garbage in which the few things you are after float down. When you happen to see what you want come to the surface, you need to jump in and grab it.

It isn’t always pretty, but there are gems to be had for the patient and decisive amongst us. That is an odd combination of traits, but it seems to be useful in a lot of life.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Jody from Just One More Watch has even got in the fun!

Kidding, but he was part of a similar challenge.

Click Icon To Contact Me

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Just found out about this. Too late to do anything but I am having fun and getting excited just from reading what you guys are doing! Looking forward to seeing the entries (and I will do the silent judging my mind :))
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

pdsf wrote:Just found out about this. Too late to do anything but I am having fun and getting excited just from reading what you guys are doing! Looking forward to seeing the entries (and I will do the silent judging my mind :))
Since we are still getting the word out about challenges I vote to allow this one late entry so long as the entry is ordered by the end of the month. Thoughts?

I know we have rules and everything, but the main rule is to have fun right? Of course, if there are objections please throw them out here.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:59 am
pdsf wrote:Just found out about this. Too late to do anything but I am having fun and getting excited just from reading what you guys are doing! Looking forward to seeing the entries (and I will do the silent judging my mind :))
Since we are still getting the word out about challenges I vote to allow this one late entry so long as the entry is ordered by the end of the month. Thoughts?

I know we have rules and everything, but the main rule is to have fun right? Of course, if there are objections please throw them out here.
Haha It's okay. Once we bend (some)/the rules, things could get messy. I appreciate the kind gesture, but I am prefectly happy cheering you guys on from the sideline. :)

P.S. When I used to have lunch at work I always used a spork. :)
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Alright my entry has been purchased. $8.54 out the door.

Fortunately, I was able to find the same watch in better condition for about the same price. [mention]TheJohnP[/mention]'s gonna love it!
I wish that watch were 38mm?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I'm all for including [mention]pdsf[/mention] so we have an even dozen participants.

But again, defer to [mention]Animal Mother[/mention] for final call on if first week of Feb entry is in spirit with the challenge.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Please note that we will start posting entries here on the first of watch. In keeping with the spirit of the challenge, I think we should refrain from revealing watches as they arrive in other threads. This allows challenge entrants to continue their hunting without the influence of the choices of others.

Of course, seeing the challenger choices ahead of time could provide inspiration for those that are stuck.

I have no patience and wanted to know what one particular user chose, so I swapped seller pics with him after we both made our choices. For some reason, I felt that was OK, but let me know if that is outside the spirit of the challenge.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:24 pm Please note that we will start posting entries here on the first of watch. In keeping with the spirit of the challenge, I think we should refrain from revealing watches as they arrive in other threads. This allows challenge entrants to continue their hunting without the influence of the choices of others.

Of course, seeing the challenger choices ahead of time could provide inspiration for those that are stuck.

I have no patience and wanted to know what one particular user chose, so I swapped seller pics with him after we both made our choices. For some reason, I felt that was OK, but let me know if that is outside the spirit of the challenge.

WHAT KIND OF "SURVIVOR" ALLIANCE B*S* IS THIS?!?!?

Kidding.
I've never seen the show...hahaha
:P

#TrashTalk
Click Icon To Contact Me

Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

All entries are now closed.

The list of competitiors is:
1. Animal Mother
2. ManOnTime
3. watchpalooza
4. Sporkboy
5. TheJohnP
6. Wolfsatz
7. Split Time
8. Rabirnie
9. Boourns
10. Stretch44
11. Spirit of the Watch
12. pdsf

All entries to be posted on this thread. You can start posting your entries from the 1st March.
The entry must include a photo that you have taken of the watch in your possession.
Voting will begin when all entries are in. However, please endeavour to post your watch in the first 2 weeks of March.