The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Post by Sporkboy »

TheJohnP wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:24 pm Please note that we will start posting entries here on the first of watch. In keeping with the spirit of the challenge, I think we should refrain from revealing watches as they arrive in other threads. This allows challenge entrants to continue their hunting without the influence of the choices of others.

Of course, seeing the challenger choices ahead of time could provide inspiration for those that are stuck.

I have no patience and wanted to know what one particular user chose, so I swapped seller pics with him after we both made our choices. For some reason, I felt that was OK, but let me know if that is outside the spirit of the challenge.

WHAT KIND OF "SURVIVOR" ALLIANCE B*S* IS THIS?!?!?

Kidding.
I've never seen the show...hahaha
:P

#TrashTalk
Well, you dominated the Watch Deals Race, so we can’t very well let you walk away with this challenge as well now can we? [emoji6]

No alliances, just burning curiosity to see how someone else interpreted the challenge. Very different than my own, so I am guessing that there will be good variety in the entries.

I am excited to see the mix of mechanical/quartz/digital in the mix at this price point. I have a feeling that it will be an educational experience for everyone involved.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

Aaaand it's bought! Just wait for it to arrive now. :D
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Now the long wait until March 1st.

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
ShoreFire77
MoT Member

Post by ShoreFire77 »

ShoreFire77 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am I'm up for this. Hopefully the distraction of looking for a quirky £22 watch will stop me looking at watches I really shouldn't be buying!

Animal Mother wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:26 pm All entries are now closed.

The list of competitiors is:
1. Animal Mother
2. ManOnTime
3. watchpalooza
4. Sporkboy
5. TheJohnP
6. Wolfsatz
7. Split Time
8. Rabirnie
9. Boourns
10. Stretch44
11. Spirit of the Watch
12. pdsf

All entries to be posted on this thread. You can start posting your entries from the 1st March.
The entry must include a photo that you have taken of the watch in your possession.
Voting will begin when all entries are in. However, please endeavour to post your watch in the first 2 weeks of March.
Yikes, think I got missed off the list. Mind if we round it out to a baker's dozen? I got over excited and already have something in the post!
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

ShoreFire77 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:58 pm
ShoreFire77 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am I'm up for this. Hopefully the distraction of looking for a quirky £22 watch will stop me looking at watches I really shouldn't be buying!

1. Animal Mother
2. ManOnTime
3. watchpalooza
4. Sporkboy
5. TheJohnP
6. Wolfsatz
7. Split Time
8. Rabirnie
9. Boourns
10. Stretch44
11. Spirit of the Watch
12. pdsf

All entries to be posted on this thread. You can start posting your entries from the 1st March.
The entry must include a photo that you have taken of the watch in your possession.
Voting will begin when all entries are in. However, please endeavour to post your watch in the first 2 weeks of March.
Yikes, think I got missed off the list. Mind if we round it out to a baker's dozen? I got over excited and already have something in the post!
oh no! I'd be happy to give you my spot as I was the odd one out/rule breaker after all!
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

ShoreFire77 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:58 pm

1. Animal Mother
2. ManOnTime
3. watchpalooza
4. Sporkboy
5. TheJohnP
6. Wolfsatz
7. Split Time
8. Rabirnie
9. Boourns
10. Stretch44
11. Spirit of the Watch
12. pdsf

Should be no issue....just a clerical error here. That would make the list:

1. Animal Mother
2. ManOnTime
3. watchpalooza
4. Sporkboy
5. TheJohnP
6. Wolfsatz
7. Split Time
8. Rabirnie
9. Boourns
10. Stretch44
11. Spirit of the Watch
12. pdsf
13. Shorefire77
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

It's here! And it's great. I just hope nobody has bought the same, and that it's weird enough. :lol:
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Mine is on the way. I actually didn't buy the quirkiest one because it's huge! I guess it could have been a gift for someone with very big wrists... :)
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Just made my purchase and it's on its way. I bought something earlier in the week, but when it arrived it just didn't do it for me. Hopefully this is the one!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Just checked status on my order. Due to arrive on March 9th, so I may be one of the stragglers in posting my find.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

pdsf wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:40 am Mine is on the way. I actually didn't buy the quirkiest one because it's huge! I guess it could have been a gift for someone with very big wrists... :)
Our fearless leader [mention]ManOnTime[/mention] can handle large watches.

Just sayin'

;)
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

TheJohnP wrote:
pdsf wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:40 am Mine is on the way. I actually didn't buy the quirkiest one because it's huge! I guess it could have been a gift for someone with very big wrists... :)
Our fearless leader [mention]ManOnTime[/mention] can handle large watches.

Just sayin'

;)
That is a really good point. Should a future challenge be ‘Larger than Life’ in which we all send ginormous watches to Matt and have him pick the winner?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:15 pm
TheJohnP wrote:
Our fearless leader @ManOnTime can handle large watches.

Just sayin'

;)
That is a really good point. Should a future challenge be ‘Larger than Life’ in which we all send ginormous watches to Matt and have him pick the winner?
I'd be ok with this. :D
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:
TheJohnP wrote:
Our fearless leader @ManOnTime can handle large watches.

Just sayin'

;)
We would have to make some rules though, such as:
-Each entry must be worn for one contiguous day during for normal waking hours. Pics or it didn’t happen!
-Minimum diameter of 47mm?
-Must be something the purchaser would never want to wear for a reason other than size.

I have a feeling this one would likely be more punishment than reward for you. It also seems like a frivolous watch purchase aside from the extreme fun to be had. Not sure if anyone would be up for this, but I’ll add it to the ideas list.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:12 pm
ManOnTime wrote:
We would have to make some rules though, such as:
-Each entry must be worn for one contiguous day during for normal waking hours. Pics or it didn’t happen!
-Minimum diameter of 47mm?
-Must be something the purchaser would never want to wear for a reason other than size.

I have a feeling this one would likely be more punishment than reward for you. It also seems like a frivolous watch purchase aside from the extreme fun to be had. Not sure if anyone would be up for this, but I’ll add it to the ideas list.

Maybe not.

Recreation of the Zlatoust 192-CHS.

60mm wide, over 25mm thick (if I recall correctly) and weighs 6/10 of a pound. It was what I assume wearing a wind-up travel alarm clock would be like.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody