The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:12 pm
ManOnTime wrote:
I'd be ok with this. :D
We would have to make some rules though, such as:
-Each entry must be worn for one contiguous day during for normal waking hours. Pics or it didn’t happen!
-Minimum diameter of 47mm?
-Must be something the purchaser would never want to wear for a reason other than size.

I have a feeling this one would likely be more punishment than reward for you. It also seems like a frivolous watch purchase aside from the extreme fun to be had. Not sure if anyone would be up for this, but I’ll add it to the ideas list.

Maybe not.

Recreation of the Zlatoust 192-CHS.

60mm wide, over 25mm thick (if I recall correctly) and weighs 6/10 of a pound. It was what I assume wearing a wind-up travel alarm clock would be like.
I wasn’t quite thinking of that, but it would fit with the challenge. As this challenge is entering a new phase, it is time to think about the next one, maybe we will need to vote on it. Can’t promise that people won’t vote for this idea though. Just think of the Invictas.

On a related note. I have a backup entry incoming.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Sporkboy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:36 am
ManOnTime wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:12 pm
We would have to make some rules though, such as:
-Each entry must be worn for one contiguous day during for normal waking hours. Pics or it didn’t happen!
-Minimum diameter of 47mm?
-Must be something the purchaser would never want to wear for a reason other than size.

I have a feeling this one would likely be more punishment than reward for you. It also seems like a frivolous watch purchase aside from the extreme fun to be had. Not sure if anyone would be up for this, but I’ll add it to the ideas list.

Maybe not.

Recreation of the Zlatoust 192-CHS.

60mm wide, over 25mm thick (if I recall correctly) and weighs 6/10 of a pound. It was what I assume wearing a wind-up travel alarm clock would be like.
I wasn’t quite thinking of that, but it would fit with the challenge. As this challenge is entering a new phase, it is time to think about the next one, maybe we will need to vote on it. Can’t promise that people won’t vote for this idea though. Just think of the Invictas.

On a related note. I have a backup entry incoming.
My local Costco has the most atrociously huge gold bling diver I've ever seen. Even the presentation box it hideous. It would be perfect!
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:53 pm Just checked status on my order. Due to arrive on March 9th, so I may be one of the stragglers in posting my find.
Straggler? I haven't even started yet :? . I'm not kidding when I say that the little bit of time that I spend online is spent here. Where has the weekend gone :roll: .
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Split-Time wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:53 pm Just checked status on my order. Due to arrive on March 9th, so I may be one of the stragglers in posting my find.
Straggler? I haven't even started yet :? . I'm not kidding when I say that the little bit of time that I spend online is spent here. Where has the weekend gone :roll: .
Well, I went with something from one of those countries that seems to take 4-8 weeks to get anything from. I knew this going into the challenge, so I made my purchase in the first couple days of the challenge. I will be cutting it close as it is, but if it comes in, I think it will be a decent entry.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Sporkboy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:16 pm
Split-Time wrote:
Well, I went with something from one of those countries that seems to take 4-8 weeks to get anything from. I knew this going into the challenge, so I made my purchase in the first couple days of the challenge. I will be cutting it close as it is, but if it comes in, I think it will be a decent entry.

I almost went that route myself before I recalled the watch was supposed to also be used/preowned.

Not questioning your purchase, simply reminding just in case.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

TheJohnP wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:16 pm
Split-Time wrote:

I almost went that route myself before I recalled the watch was supposed to also be used/preowned.

Not questioning your purchase, simply reminding just in case.
Oh, it is definitely used. It wasn’t from China (where the new cheap stuff comes from), but Uzbekistan. I know that is probably not the safest move from a challenge perspective as there is risk of the each not showing up on time. There wasn’t a way to get the watch in the condition I was looking for through a closer source at the time of purchase.

Anyway, you can’t win a challenge unless you take a risk and reach for something that others may dismiss. We will see what happens.

Unrelated- if anyone has any more challenge ideas, please add them to the challenge idea thread. I was thinking that we should probably do a poll to select the next challenge as many of us are now waiting for packages to arrive or patiently crafting their posts, taking pictures and waiting for the first to come around again.
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

So I purchased something on eBay yesterday that I'm thinking will be my entry, but I also have a few other watches saved/following that I may try to snipe and possibly use instead. This eBay hunting has been a combination of entertainment, suspense, frustration, and at times monotonous going through all of these listings and sellers. However, I did get to use Gixen and I am a fan. Pretty cool setup and makes your life so much easier.

Also, having read [mention]watchpalooza[/mention] thread on how to find deals on eBay was a huge help and continued resource for future hunts. I'm hooked!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Rabirnie wrote:So I purchased something on eBay yesterday that I'm thinking will be my entry, but I also have a few other watches saved/following that I may try to snipe and possibly use instead. This eBay hunting has been a combination of entertainment, suspense, frustration, and at times monotonous going through all of these listings and sellers. However, I did get to use Gixen and I am a fan. Pretty cool setup and makes your life so much easier.

Also, having read [mention]watchpalooza[/mention] thread on how to find deals on eBay was a huge help and continued resource for future hunts. I'm hooked!
Welcome to yet another dangerous aspect of the hobby. I look forward to seeing what you find.

On the plus side of things the tracking on my watch from Uzbekistan finally registered...the day they tried to deliver it. I will try to pick that up tomorrow and hope for the best.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

My entry has arrived and it is keeping good time and there were no bees at all in the package.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Mine has arrived as well. But now I am wondering if it's special, weird, quirky or interesting enough. :D
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

pdsf wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:12 pm Mine has arrived as well. But now I am wondering if it's special, weird, quirky or interesting enough. :D
I'm sure we all are! :lol:
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Animal Mother wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:25 pm
pdsf wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:12 pm Mine has arrived as well. But now I am wondering if it's special, weird, quirky or interesting enough. :D
I'm sure we all are! :lol:
Yes! :lol: See what you did! :x :P

Mine does fit me, which is a nice surprise.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I'm doing the same!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I think with the nearly limitless variations of watches that have been made, a bit of doubt is justified here. If it was easy, then it wouldn’t be called a challenge.

Regardless of who finds the most quirky or unique watch under $29, I think we will all be winners as we will be exposed to watches we may have never seen before and that might not be regular WIS quarry.

I would be shocked if anybody on this forum owned the watch I selected, but we shall see.

Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

I’m with all of you. I was desperately underwhelmed by what showed up in the mail. May have to get back on the bay for some more options...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk