We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Post by Boourns »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:25 am
Rabirnie wrote:
Split-Time wrote:Well, I received a package today but I’m sort of afraid, or should I say ashamed, to open it :roll: . This has been an experience, that for sure!
I know the feeling well! I didn’t even want to see what I ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The package I received was approximately the size of a brick, wrapped in brown paper, tied with a string and had a partially intact wax seal. Absolutely an experience for sure, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Mine arrived in a beat up padded envelope, folded in half and taped. But it cost less than $8, so after shipping cost, packing materials, and eBay fees, the seller might have pocketed $3. :lol:
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Boourns wrote:
Rabirnie wrote: I know the feeling well! I didn’t even want to see what I ordered.

The package I received was approximately the size of a brick, wrapped in brown paper, tied with a string and had a partially intact wax seal. Absolutely an experience for sure, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Mine arrived in a beat up padded envelope, folded in half and taped. But it cost less than $8, so after shipping cost, packing materials, and eBay fees, the seller might have pocketed $3. :lol:
OK, you may have me beat for best value as far as uniqueness to $ goes.

Have we figured out how we are voting? I think it was by poll and there was going to be a competitors only vote and an open vote.

My question is if there will be multiple categories or if it is just best overall matching the uniqueness criteria?

I am guessing the single category will be fine for this first challenge, but you never know.

I am also wondering if there will be any new participants for a future challenge, but we will see that spike once we start posting our entries. Anyway, it is a fun time all around...except for Watchpalooza. Actually, I am scared of his entry as he found something that I had no idea existed.

AM, this was an amazingly good challenge for an opener, and I hope that it gets a whole lot more fun in a couple of days.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:40 am
Boourns wrote:

Have we figured out how we are voting? I think it was by poll and there was going to be a competitors only vote and an open vote.

My question is if there will be multiple categories or if it is just best overall matching the uniqueness criteria?

I am guessing the single category will be fine for this first challenge, but you never know.

I am also wondering if there will be any new participants for a future challenge, but we will see that spike once we start posting our entries. Anyway, it is a fun time all around...except for Watchpalooza. Actually, I am scared of his entry as he found something that I had no idea existed.

AM, this was an amazingly good challenge for an opener, and I hope that it gets a whole lot more fun in a couple of days.
That may prove to be an issue. I don't think there is a way in the software to limit specific polls to specific users.

[mention]Animal Mother[/mention]'s best option for that scenario may be to create a poll with a third party poll/survey site and PM the link to participants.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Rabirnie wrote:
Split-Time wrote:Well, I received a package today but I’m sort of afraid, or should I say ashamed, to open it :roll: . This has been an experience, that for sure!
I know the feeling well! I didn’t even want to see what I ordered.

Hmm... I'm definitely intrigued to see what you scored. I do not think I will win, but my wife has already called dibs on my watch and is wearing it already.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:48 am
Boourns wrote:

That may prove to be an issue. I don't think there is a way in the software to limit specific polls to specific users.

@Animal Mother's best option for that scenario may be to create a poll with a third party poll/survey site and PM the link to participants.
Maybe we go without a poll and the contestants just post their pick within the thread and [mention]Animal Mother[/mention] counts them up? We could set a date and time window for polling. Not sure if everyone wants their vote anonymous though.

Another option would be to send [mention]Animal Mother[/mention] a PM with our vote?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

My entry is on this desk somewhere. I can hear it, I just can't see it! :lol: (That's what happens when I buy-in at the beginning of the contest.)
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Stretch44 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:51 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:48 am

@Animal Mother's best option for that scenario may be to create a poll with a third party poll/survey site and PM the link to participants.
Maybe we go without a poll and the contestants just post their pick within the thread and @Animal Mother counts them up? We could set a date and time window for polling. Not sure if everyone wants their vote anonymous though.

Another option would be to send @Animal Mother a PM with our vote?
PM'ing [mention]Animal Mother[/mention] might be an easier way for him to keep track. Plus it makes the votes anonymous. I am a participant but I'd be more than happy to help with the voting process - I am pretty sure I will not win with my questionable entry especially amongst you all MoT giants haha
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Stretch44 wrote:
Rabirnie wrote: I know the feeling well! I didn’t even want to see what I ordered.

Hmm... I'm definitely intrigued to see what you scored. I do not think I will win, but my wife has already called dibs on my watch and is wearing it already.
If your wife likes it enough to wear it then I think you are already a winner.

Inside the paper was a brick of sryrofoam. In the center was a small cutout, I removed that and there was my ~34mm watch. You can’t say my watch wasn’t well protected.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

Crazy packaging skills right there!

I'm cleaning my entry up tomorrow, re placement strap, photos, etc. Ready for March.

Regarding the voting, I'm happy for any help and/or ideas.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

My final watch arrived today. Well, not the final watch, but the last that I am going to admit to. This has been a lot of fun. I will post the final watch but it doesn't quite qualify for the challenge. I am very happy with it considering that I had to start this challenge by creating an eBay account. It makes the other junk I accumulated worthwhile.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Hello all, it's Feb 29th! :o I have just been looking at my entry. I initially thought it was kinda weird and unusual, but maybe that's just because my limited exposure in life made me think that way. :| I finally managed to set it and will get it sized today. The sun is out this weekend so I am hoping to take some decent pictures, following [mention]yinzburgher[/mention]'s tips. :lol:
Sporkboy
MoT Member

The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Post by Sporkboy »

Raketa Watch for the Blind
54D79EAA-BA5D-42D8-A030-A347BD16BF62.jpeg
Watch Make/Model//Reference: Raketa ref. 201248 AKA: Watch for the Blind.
Cost: $18 (+ $10 shipping from Uzbekistan)
Purchase Listing: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4001197146
What makes this watch special or unique:
Unless we tinker with modding and repair, the watch dial is locked away behind a protective layer of glass. So close, yet so far away. When we do touch a dial, we do so carefully with finger cots or gloves to avoid unsightly smudges, fingerprints and marks. We avoid touching installed hands for fear of bending them or nudging them out of time with one another. The dial and hands are delicate and must be protected. Across the world glass, acrylic and sapphire all send a clear message- Do Not Touch!

Nearly all analog watches are the same. And most of those would be of little use to someone who couldn’t see. In days past there were precious few complications that could help the blind know the time without help from someone else. The minute repeater comes to mind, those are well out reach of for most people (not to mention being well out of the range of this challenges budget).

Who could be so bold as to create a watch that could give the blind the freedom to independently know the time and do it in such a way that the average person could afford it? Soviet Russia of course.

In Soviet Russia all comrades could have a watch that was suited to that persons needs. If you were a deep sea diver, a nurse, a student or you were blind, it didn’t matter. Not only was there a watch for everyone, but the movements tended to be robust and easy to repair.

A hunter-style watch case allows the crystal holding bezel to flip open at a push of a button situated through the crown. The crown is of 3-piece design, which is pretty cool in its own right.

PICTURE- Crown sub assembly
9BE9CBC8-A110-47A1-B958-E3A3D4DAD8C3.jpeg
Opening the bezel reveals a dial that has raised bumps to indicate the hours with double bumps at the cardinal positions. Thick and solid hour and minute hands provide a robust surface for determining the time.
87B19E4F-973B-4DD2-8A73-A371B38B0E0D.jpeg
For fingers practiced in Braille reading, sorting out the time to the nearest minute or so would be a fairly easy task.

The Raketa Watch for the Blind sports a 2601-H movement, which appears to be a modified version of the 2609 series movement, which was used in a slew of watches including the famous Big Zero.
7AF6333A-126E-444E-B0A0-B2308DFCBD74.jpeg
The obvious modifications are the lack of a seconds hand (and pinion). This allows for a solid, and more robust, minutes hand pinion.

The spring action on the button and the bezel hinge achieved by a single piece of spring steel that wraps around the inside of the case.
E878E620-D57C-4167-A25B-CAFA0369C72B.jpeg
While the watch was designed with a blind person in mind, it does feature some delicate Arabic numerals. The smaller size and sylish case shape make it an appropriate candidate for a modern semi-dress watch and is a great functional conversation piece.
BCFF5F81-705A-4A99-97FF-5261CBA2B994.jpeg
It can be dressed down a bit with a more rugged canvas strap.
194356C3-D1E9-49E9-B470-6A38BC34E95E.jpeg
Additionally, it is a great example of adaptive design and Soviet engineering prowess.

This watch is not without its faults, which I am going to view as quirks.
- No lume. Oddly enough, there is no need for lume with watches for blind people.
- No water resistance. With no crystal beneath the hunter case, it can’t be sealed.
- Loud enough that if you were blind you could find it. It is brass Timex quartz loud. I haven’t measured it, but it might even be a little louder than the Scout I held it next to.

In the design of the watch, trade offs were made, but I really like this watch and will be hanging on to it as it is the most unique and interesting watch in my collection. While it doesn’t have the same mass appeal as the Big Zero, this one is not on the radar of most collectors so it is easily acquirable. The seller claims that it was recently serviced and I can find no evidence to the contrary as it is keeping good time and

If you are interested in learning this watch and its contemporaries , you can check out Braille Watches of the USSR (https://mroatman.wixsite.com/watches-of ... le-watches).

The reason that I was initially interested in this watch was that I wanted to be able to check the time in boring meetings without looking at my watch. Since the dial is so nice and I like it as is, I am reluctant to touch it and wear it down. The condition was better than expected, otherwise I would be training my fingertips on reading the minutes hand since I would probably know the hour already.

Watch Details:
Dimensions:
33.75mm wide (38 w/crown)
33.25mm tall
10.5mm thick
40.75 L2L

Materials:
Plated Brass
Domed Acrylic Crystal

Features:
Made in the 1970’s in Soviet Russia
Hunter-style push button crystal door
Raketa 2601 Movement
Rugged solid minutes pinion
Braille-like bumps on dial for indices (double bumps at cardinal 12, 3, 6 and 9)
No water resistance
No lume
So loud you can find it if you are blind

Maintenance/Repairs Done (if any):
-Movement removed from case and case cleaned.
-Stem/button mechanism cleaned and lubricated.
-Hinge lubricated.
-New strap.
-Light case polish
9D17E8FB-80E3-4D3B-A7AB-80E979F90C40.jpeg
B1E33EF6-C702-4C44-8F4A-C9FDEF188E32.jpeg
ED596918-5457-4799-BF35-676993F8EA8A.jpeg
Edit: 3/2/2020- Added reason for purchasing this watch.
Last edited by Sporkboy on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

That is an impressive entry. Not just the watch itself, but what you put together.

This first salvo really laid down the gauntlet!
Well done, [mention]Sporkboy[/mention]!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

After posting this, I am wondering what should be done for judging purposes. Maybe another thread that has the entrant name, a picture, short description and a link to the original posting within this thread for reference. That would allow us to be free here to comment and such as well as providing an easy reference for those voting. Thoughts?
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

TheJohnP wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:14 am That is an impressive entry. Not just the watch itself, but what you put together.

This first salvo really laid down the gauntlet!
Well done, @Sporkboy!
I know!

One thing lacking was a mic drop at the end!! :P