We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Post by Sporkboy »

pdsf wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:20 am
TheJohnP wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:14 am That is an impressive entry. Not just the watch itself, but what you put together.

This first salvo really laid down the gauntlet!
Well done, @Sporkboy!
I know!

One thing lacking was a mic drop at the end!! :P
Thanks guys. It was fun to put together. I did consider a mic drop, but figured that would be obnoxious.

Are the pictures displaying correctly oriented for you guys? They are rotated oddly for me.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Sporkboy wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:45 am
TheJohnP wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:14 am That is an impressive entry. Not just the watch itself, but what you put together.

Well done, @Sporkboy!
I know!

Thanks guys. It was fun to put together. I did consider a mic drop, but figured that would be obnoxious.

Are the pictures displaying correctly oriented for you guys? They are rotated oddly for me.
Some of the pics are not oriented in the usual fashion but I actually did not think they were presented oddly. Perhaps fitting for an "odd" watch? ;) The watch is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Re Lume, some (or a lot of?) blind folks still have some vision so I am wondering if having Seiko-level lume would help. :) On a related note - I used to swim with a lady with severe visual impairment (I can't remember if she described herself as blind). She could not walk without someone guiding her but she could lap swim with us in the lane because she could just about see the black line. It was amazing to witness. I digress...
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

pdsf wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:52 am
Sporkboy wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:45 am

I know!

Some of the pics are not oriented in the usual fashion but I actually did not think they were presented oddly. Perhaps fitting for an "odd" watch? ;) The watch is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Re Lume, some (or a lot of?) blind folks still have some vision so I am wondering if having Seiko-level lume would help. :) On a related note - I used to swim with a lady with severe visual impairment (I can't remember if she described herself as blind). She could not walk without someone guiding her but she could lap swim with us in the lane because she could just about see the black line. It was amazing to witness. I digress...
I will admit to not knowing any blind or partially sighted people, so I can’t comment on the lume. It would have been out of character with the style. Soviet era lume wouldn’t have been great anyway.

There are some other, more modern options including digital talking watches and a quartz version of this watch. Unfortunately, quartz pinions are weak in comparison so the hands move when you touch them.

For a partially sighted person I might pick a digital with a big display and hydromod it. There are some Casio and Timex options that might work well. I would lean towards the Casios as the battery life is a claimed 10 years. I still haven’t done that mod yet.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Well done, @Sporkboy!
I know!

No Doubt! "[mention]Sporkboy[/mention] OUT!" Really well done, Sir!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Split-Time wrote:

Well done, @Sporkboy!
I know!

No Doubt! "[mention]Sporkboy[/mention] OUT!" Really well done, Sir!
Thank you. When it comes to strange, quirky and unique, I have a professional reputation to defend. My semi-official title is the Director of the Office of Creative Solutions, so I take this stuff seriously.

There was one picture that I wanted to create showing the school, medical, diver and blind watches all together. Maybe I can add that later...
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Great first entry, [mention]Sporkboy[/mention]. Gonna be hard to top, I'm an amateur playing with professionals...
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

That's going to be hard to beat. I think [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] really nailed the spirit of the challenge. Compared to his, mine is less quirky and more monstrosity.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Boourns wrote:That's going to be hard to beat. I think [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] really nailed the spirit of the challenge. Compared to his, mine is less quirky and more monstrosity.
Thanks. My alternate was all monstrosity. I still need to clean the strap on that one. Luckily this one came through. When it comes to quirky watches, you can’t go too wrong with one from the USSR.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Judging criteria? Should it be what we consider to be the most weird, quirky or interesting or the one we like best with some of those qualities?

Have you guys decided on how to cast votes?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

[mention]Animal Mother[/mention] and I are thinking this could work:

Cast your vote via PMs to both he and I so we can make sure we get the votes right. How does that sound to people?

In terms of criteria, I leave it up to you guys. :)
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

pdsf wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:00 pm @Animal Mother and I are thinking this could work:

Cast your vote via PMs to both he and I so we can make sure we get the votes right. How does that sound to people?

In terms of criteria, I leave it up to you guys. :)
Sounds good to me.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

Will you all please be upstanding and pay homage to...

... Queen Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of this Realm and of Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

She has just popped by the manontime site to give you all a little wave and say hello!

This is how she arrived, with a slinky little leather piece.

But now has a more regal (and downright ugly) metal plated bracelet.

This little lady was right on the maximum budget, but works fine, with a sweeping action (terrible movement though). This watch is a variant of the waving Chairman Mao watch.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Hello all,

Here is my entry.  It does not have a brand or model name. but it has been named Olaf by a friend of mine (he has named all my watches...and my car...)
Olaf 1st.JPG
I wasn't really quite sure what to look for when I first started my search, so I thought I'd just see what's out there.  In the end, it came down to two choices.  Coincidentally, they were both digital watches, even though I included mechanical and quartz watches in my search.  After a few days of deliberation, my interest for this one grew, while the other one just seemed more and more like a big piece of plastic toy.  I wasn't sure if it was "special, weird, quirky or interesting" enough.  I had not seen it before, but that doesn't usually mean much as I have limited exposure to many things.  In the end, it felt right to me, and a decision was made. 

Price: US$26
Shipping: US$3.99
Total: US$29.99
Olaf receipt edited.JPG
The listing had "Batman" in the title. There is nothing on the watch itself that suggests a formal association with the comics or movies, but I can certainly see why it was called that.  I sincerely hope I didn't miss a range of Batman merchandise looking like this...

Upon unboxing, I thought the condition was better than expected.  There is a minor scratch on the top plastic piece but the rest of the case and bracelet are in very good condition.  I was pleasantly surprised that it did not look too big.  It sits rather well on my wrist.

It did not come with any instructions.  The lights are not always on.  To see the time, press the button on the right once, and to see the date, press the button twice.  
Olaf right.JPG
Figuring out how to read the time took a few moments but it was not difficult. Examples:

1:02 (in this case, pm):
Olaf 0102.JPG
1:03:
Olaf 0103.JPG
and this was 12:54:
Olaf 1254.JPG
You can't see all the lights that were on in the pic and here is what happened: all the lights in the top row going from 1-12 were on, and in the bottom row, lights 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 were on, as well as lights 1, 2, 3, 4.

March 1st:
Olaf March 1st.jpg
Setting it was easy...just poke this:
Olaf left.jpg
It says "stainless steel" on the underside of the clasp. The whole thing is very light, which probably speaks to its quality haha.

It has no information on country of origin or water resistance level. A search on the internet showed a previous listing of the model on an Indian e-commerce site, with only a stock pic and basic information.  I could not find any real-life pictures.  
Olaf lights not on.JPG
I did not do any modification to it except having 6 links taken out.  
Olaf clasp.JPG
Thanks again for allowing me to participate in the competition despite a late sign-up.  I have had fun doing this and I look forward to seeing the other entries!! 
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Animal Mother wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:12 pm ...
She has just popped by the manontime site to give you all a little wave and say hello!

This almost made me spill my coffee!! Hahaha, well done, AM. Love it. Thanks for giving birth to this challenge!!
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

The choices so far are very impressive.
I will get back to town sometime on Tuesday.
So expect I should be able to share my submission by end of this coming week
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find