We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Re: The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Post by PetWatch »

Boourns wrote:Behold my participation-trophy-earning entry:

From the renown brand Oulm, this quartz watch features not a measly 1 or 2 dials, but 4 rad dials to fulfill your steampunk dreams. Two are dedicated to time, so be sure to set one for your home time zone and the other for wherever one of your undoubtedly many, many girlfriends live. The third dial is a functioning thermometer, in Celsius, the coolest scale. And the fourth is a compass that definitely spins, but must be EXACTLY level to be accurate. But who needs an accurate compass? Because when you wear this watch, every direction is North by Kickass.

This wrist beast measures a manly 55mm across and 58 lug-to-lug. That's right, the guy who thinks every watch should be 38 mm bought one that is a whole ladies' watch bigger than that. Thickness wise, this thing is actually not bad at 11 mm including caseback and crystal. And if you think lightness = quality, this is the watch for you, as it weighs about half of what you think it should before you pick it up.

Here it is next to my Alpinist for a comparison:

This particular watch has seen better days, as the second time zone (plastic) crystal is cracked, and there is some pitting on the surely quality case:

Unlike most of you, I did nothing to restore, clean, or improve the watch in any way. Fortunately, it came with functioning batteries for both watch dials, which can replaced by popping off each caseback. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of the movements. But I am confident they are of the highest quality.

Because of the condition, I got a pretty good discount, though it still set me back some serious coin, which is expected with a watch of superior quality. Including tax I paid 789 pennies. To get a new one you have to shell out more than 1300.

Since it's futile to try to describe a watch this awesome in mere words, I will wrap up. I will say that this was really fun, but next time I have a lot more work to do. Good luck to all!
In need of evaluation guidance, should I evaluate the time gauge, aka watch, or the whole instrument panel? [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

PetWatch wrote:
Boourns wrote:Behold my participation-trophy-earning entry:

From the renown brand Oulm, this quartz watch features not a measly 1 or 2 dials, but 4 rad dials to fulfill your steampunk dreams. Two are dedicated to time, so be sure to set one for your home time zone and the other for wherever one of your undoubtedly many, many girlfriends live. The third dial is a functioning thermometer, in Celsius, the coolest scale. And the fourth is a compass that definitely spins, but must be EXACTLY level to be accurate. But who needs an accurate compass? Because when you wear this watch, every direction is North by Kickass.

This wrist beast measures a manly 55mm across and 58 lug-to-lug. That's right, the guy who thinks every watch should be 38 mm bought one that is a whole ladies' watch bigger than that. Thickness wise, this thing is actually not bad at 11 mm including caseback and crystal. And if you think lightness = quality, this is the watch for you, as it weighs about half of what you think it should before you pick it up.

This particular watch has seen better days, as the second time zone (plastic) crystal is cracked, and there is some pitting on the surely quality case:

Unlike most of you, I did nothing to restore, clean, or improve the watch in any way. Fortunately, it came with functioning batteries for both watch dials, which can replaced by popping off each caseback. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of the movements. But I am confident they are of the highest quality.

Because of the condition, I got a pretty good discount, though it still set me back some serious coin, which is expected with a watch of superior quality. Including tax I paid 789 pennies. To get a new one you have to shell out more than 1300.

Since it's futile to try to describe a watch this awesome in mere words, I will wrap up. I will say that this was really fun, but next time I have a lot more work to do. Good luck to all!
In need of evaluation guidance, should I evaluate the time gauge, aka watch, or the whole instrument panel? [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I am approaching this as I would approach a piece of abstract art. I read the little panel off to the side (text of post), and let my eyes and mind wander and explore the images to see where it takes me. That sounds odd, but that is what I am doing for all the entries to evaluate them. It is completely subjective. After the eye/mind wandering is done, I think about the entry and then about the theme and how the two relate to each other. The emotions and ideas that are evoked are a big part of my evaluation as well.

It isn’t just the watch, but also the story behind it from design, engineering and production through to the consumer and ultimately to this thread. Intended use, inspiration, backstory and history are all part of it and it isn’t just which watch I like best. At least that is how I am doing it.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Wolfsatz wrote: ImageReef Gesr by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
This one I have seen from time to time and have wondered about. Can you tell me about the tide bezel? Do you just figure out when high tide is based on the newspaper report (or website/app) and turn the bezel accordingly? I can’t quite tell if it rotates or not.

It looks like the watch was well used, and I am glad that you have a very different digital in your collection. There is definitely a place for retro digitals of this era, I am guessing late 90’s early 00’s?
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Wolfsatz wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:51 pm Hey guys... I could not find the thread over the weekend and then got caught up doing something else....

So .. first... after loosing some good prospects and then finding better ones but over budget.... My entry for this contest is something that has a very nice Retro Look.... a little bit over a month ago... I wanted to get a nice decent square digital casio type after finding the T80 sold out at timex ... and kept searching for something nice .... the ones I wanted usually went over 3 digits... So cut to the chase..

I present you... Timex Reef Gear.. with the old school green ditital phase... and the temp gauge still works solidly. It has a nice dome crystal which is very well protected by the bezel. Love the retro looks and have already worn it many times. I was surprised about the temp gauge actually working very well.

ImageReef Gesr by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageReef Gear by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageReef Gear by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
The combo of blue and green is very nice. I love that it has a temp gauge and that it works well!!! I have always liked to have compass and temp gauge functions in a watch but they do not go well aesthetically with the type of watches I usually like to wear.
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:51 am
Wolfsatz wrote: ImageReef Gesr by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
This one I have seen from time to time and have wondered about. Can you tell me about the tide bezel? Do you just figure out when high tide is based on the newspaper report (or website/app) and turn the bezel accordingly? I can’t quite tell if it rotates or not.

It looks like the watch was well used, and I am glad that you have a very different digital in your collection. There is definitely a place for retro digitals of this era, I am guessing late 90’s early 00’s?
Case back code is L3... so that puts it at March 2003
:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen:
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

watchpalooza wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:27 am For this leap year challenge, I went with a theme of finding watches that are “Innovations in time”. Since leap year is an every 4-year event, I set out to find 4 watches. And I wanted only watches that were manufactured in a leap year. I chose the period 1996-2000. Working with a budget of $29, I found 4 unique “funky” watches that represent innovations in either timekeeping technology, fashion, or both. Here they are:

1996: Casio releases its first radio-controlled watch

The first Casio watch with radio-controlled timekeeping was 1995’s FKT-100 model. Watches using this technology receive signals from towers that transmit time-calibration radio signals calculated by atomic clocks. There are six of these towers worldwide: two in Europe (Mainflingen, Germany and An- thorn, England); three in Asia (Shangqiu, China; Fukushima, Japan; and Kyushu, Japan) and one in the United States (Fort Collins, Colorado). These account for the number “6” in “Multiband 6,” the term Casio uses for the technology that enables watches equipped with it to receive signals from all six stations using tiny, highly sensitive antennas built into the movement. The result is a watch that always shows the precise time, whether its display is analog, digital, or a combination, and never needs manual resetting, even if you’re changing time zones: the push of a button will indicate the new zone and move the hands automatically.

A standard quartz watch can lose several seconds every month; but a radio-controlled watch might lose one second in 100,000 years. Casio is the market leader in radio-controlled watches, with 3 million units sold this year. The FKT-100 was their first radio-controlled model, released in 1996. I paid $2.49 for this one.

28465D45-E806-4D4A-9A4D-9562BDBBFCE7.JPEGE6094412-A61D-4341-B853-4672656F26B0.JPEG2EACA850-1DEA-461A-807D-5A2DE5CBB399.JPEGIMG_3783.JPG

https://world.casio.com/media/company/f ... -24_en.pdf

1996 - Sinobi Vortex produced by Guangdong Yonghong Watch & Clock Co Ltd.

This watch was produced in 1996 in the Guangdong Yonghong Watch & Clock Co’s first year of production. The following year saw a crash in Chinese watch production (30-40% drop, depending on area), yet this company survived through innovative designs and differentiating on quality. The company stood out among Chinese producers by innovating early-on to produce modern designs, use imported Japanese movements, and focus on differentiating on quality (e.g., 3ATM water resistance, IP plating). Today it is a leading Chinese watch producer and the chair of the watchmaking association in the Guangdong Province.

This watch is “handless”, relying on two rotating disks with colored rings to display the time. The outer ring indicates hour, and the inner one displays minutes. The case is blasted aluminum alloy, an it come on a stainless steel milanese bracelet with safety clasp. The design is slick and modern, marking a rise in fashion-conscious watch design... and it represents several strides in innovation for Chinese watchmaking during this period. I paid $10.99 for this watch.

DC14E617-D4E6-4178-9D3B-A83508598041.JPEG
EB7A129A-8E38-46F5-8E72-326BFFA99BAF.JPEG
22860993-72B4-4E9F-927B-1EBE8AEC86FB.JPEG
439239FF-9DF4-40A4-AAD0-E1AA158E9B47.JPEG
F5CD2C77-46B9-41ED-8EFE-8ED6A2121DDF.JPEG

1998 - Swatch Invents “Internet Time”

On October 23, 1998, Swatch announced a new way of telling time called “Internet Time” that they had co-developed with a researcher at MIT. The idea was to modernize timekeeping from localization to a universal time in support of increasingly real-time interaction over the internet. Instead of hours and minutes, the mean solar day is divided into 1000 parts called ".beats". Each .beat is equal to one decimal minute in the French Revolutionary decimal time system and lasts 1 minute and 26.4 seconds (86.4 seconds) in standard time. Times are notated as a 3-digit number out of 1000 after midnight. So, for example @248 would indicate a time 248 .beats after midnight representing 248/1000 of a day, just over 5 hours and 57 minutes.

In 1999, Swatch began producing series of “Beat” watches which told Internet Time as well as standard time. The new standard was adopted by CNN.com, ICQ Messenger and the role-playing game Phantasy Star Online to facilitate cross-continent gameplay. It was also included as an option on Ericsson mobile phones, and adopted by a scattering of other websites and services. Several app developers began adding Internet Time to their apps and tools. The new watches were an absolute sensation and repeatedly sold out. The revolution, it appeared, had begun.

By 2004 the ferver had died down and it was clear that the world was not ready for this change. “Beat Time” as they called it, was confusing to a lot of people. Even Swatch itself released a commercial poking fun at the situation. Swatch ceased production of the Beat lines of watches, but to this day still displays the current Beat Time on their website banner.

Even though the watches are becoming rare, the concept lives on. There are still many apps which translate to Internet Time for iphone, android, PC and Mac desktops. Discussions of daylight savings and challenges with cross-continent scheduling result in periodic callbacks to the bold marketing move by Swatch, some with serious attempts to develop the concept further and truly challenge accepted timekeeping. Someday, who knows...

Without further ado, I give you...the Swatch Beat Aluminum from year 2000. The body and band are 100% aluminum, the band crafted in Italy. This one came with the original box and manual. I paid $9.50 for this watch.

5792872C-6256-4C1B-80E3-1CCBEF2FE9E2.JPEG
C3FBD7A7-721F-491D-96B6-435ED976397C.JPEG

Here showing "internet time" or "beat time" as it was called:
90A82443-CEDE-487E-8FA7-491D8575E6E4.JPEG

A910FB06-0D5A-493E-A310-86542E94A6B0.JPEG
06881732-1E71-49CE-AEFB-57F47755FD24.JPEG0.

2000 - Giuliano Hard Tech De Longe

Not much information available about this one, except that it was part of a range of unusual “Hard Tech De Longe” watches released by Giulano in the late 90’s as part of the Y2K-fueled ”technology in fashion” craze.

The build quality on these models is very good, and the dials, bracelets and cases are custom formed. This watch has a recessed dial with a display for the coil, a custom forged case and two decorative springs framing the dial. The crown is also somewhat unique, and the case is grooved all the way around. The stainless steel bracelet is equally unique, with two plates engraved with a circuit board motif and a two-position locking clasp. Inside is an early 1 jewel “Miyota Co” movement.

I paid $6 for this watch

73B5CEA8-5ED5-4F4A-B0A3-AF49228C6406.JPEG
IMG_0639 2.JPG
IMG_6095 2.JPG
AFC2CE6F-CD4F-4E71-AAD6-34D85800CC50.jpeg
A0802B7C-7AA7-4471-A262-9C50BC5DDF3F.JPEG
Amazing post and entry! All of these are great, but I am particularly blown away by the Casio for $2.49.
$2.49 :o
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Boourns wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:06 pm Behold my participation-trophy-earning entry:

I never thought I would see this watch again. A few years ago I purchased a suit or dress pants from a department store and the guy at the register was wearing this watch. Within the last year we were back in the store and I talked to the guy and mentioned that he had helped me years ago. My wife asked how I remembered that, and of course the answer was that I didn't remember him so much as the watch.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Split-Time wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:12 pm I never thought I would see this watch again. A few years ago I purchased a suit or dress pants from a department store and the guy at the register was wearing this watch. Within the last year we were back in the store and I talked to the guy and mentioned that he had helped me years ago. My wife asked how I remembered that, and of course the answer was that I didn't remember him so much as the watch.
So what you're saying is you once bought a suit from the coolest mf'er on the planet.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Boourns wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:56 pm
Split-Time wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:12 pm I never thought I would see this watch again. A few years ago I purchased a suit or dress pants from a department store and the guy at the register was wearing this watch. Within the last year we were back in the store and I talked to the guy and mentioned that he had helped me years ago. My wife asked how I remembered that, and of course the answer was that I didn't remember him so much as the watch.
So what you're saying is you once bought a suit from the coolest mf'er on the planet.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Boourns wrote:
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji41]

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, we are 9 days into this challenge and are 9 entries in. That leaves 4 by my count left to go.

At this point we have, and let me know if I am mistaken here:
Sporkboy- Raketa Watch for the Blind
AnimalMother- Queen Elizabeth II Waving Watch
pdsf- SnakeHead LED Digital
Stretch44- S’Square Turntable Watch
Split-Time- Far Out West Square Turntable Watch
Watchpalooza- Casio’s First Radio Controlled Funk**on Ana-digi
-Sinobi Swirl
-Swatch .Beat Aluminum
-Giuliano Hard Tech
ManOnTime-Timex Q Jump Minute
Boournes- Oulm 4 Dial Steampunk Masterpiece
Wolfsatz- Timex Reef Gear Tide/Temp

That leaves:
The JohnP- ???
Rabirnie- ???
Spirit of the Watch- ???
Shorefire77- ???

I have my favorites, but with 4 contenders left anything could happen. Animal Mother requested that we get entries in by mid-March, so if that is possible please post. If life is getting in the way, let us know. We are all friends here, we know that stuff happens.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:21 am OK, we are 9 days into this challenge and are 9 entries in. That leaves 4 by my count left to go.

At this point we have, and let me know if I am mistaken here:
Sporkboy- Raketa Watch for the Blind
AnimalMother- Queen Elizabeth II Waving Watch
pdsf- SnakeHead LED Digital
Stretch44- S’Square Turntable Watch
Split-Time- Far Out West Square Turntable Watch
Watchpalooza- Casio’s First Radio Controlled Funk**on Ana-digi
-Sinobi Swirl
-Swatch .Beat Aluminum
-Giuliano Hard Tech
ManOnTime-Timex Q Jump Minute
Boournes- Oulm 4 Dial Steampunk Masterpiece
Wolfsatz- Timex Reef Gear Tide/Temp

That leaves:
The JohnP- ???
Rabirnie- ???
Spirit of the Watch- ???
Shorefire77- ???

I have my favorites, but with 4 contenders left anything could happen. Animal Mother requested that we get entries in by mid-March, so if that is possible please post. If life is getting in the way, let us know. We are all friends here, we know that stuff happens.

Hoping to have my post up in the next few days.
Just need to get on that.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Finally ready to share my entry!
However, I still need to take a pic of the movement. So note that I'll be updating this post.

Webster's Dictionary defines "quirky" as...
Just kidding, I'm not going there.

But I spent a good bit of time contemplating what would make a watch "special, weird, quirky or interesting."
I decided that looks, being subjective, was not where I wanted to focus my search. Rather what it does and how it does it would be where I felt there to be room to play.

After a good bit of time spent on Amazon, Etsy, AliExpress, and of course Ebay, I found what I was looking for...
The On-Time Talking Atomic Watch.

Watch Make/Model//Reference: On-Time Talking Atomic Watch
Cost: $23.79 + $3.99 shipping
Purchase Listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/On-Time-Men-At ... 3482916511

What makes this watch special or unique:
- The Talking Atomic watch, well talks.
- It speaks both the time (hour & minute) and date (month, date, and year).
- You can also set a daily alarm or have it chime on the hour.
- Being Atomic, the watch receives radio signals from NIST in Ft. Collins, CO, so that will mean this could very well be my most accurate watch.
- There is no crown. All functions are accessed and set by four pushers at the 2, 4, 8, and 10 position. So there's also that unique aspect.

Specifications:
- The watch is an average 40mm in diameter.
- But is a bit of a chonk at 17mm thick.
- Lug width is 20mm and comes on a metal expansion bracelet.
- Lug to lug is 46mm

Movement:
The movement is listed as RATK2035-M1, with a symbol for B.A.T.

Only information I was able to uncover was from this Hungarian site - Makszy's View on Horology:
Main listing - http://www.mechanikus.hu/w_LATW.htm
Caliber page - http://www.mechanikus.hu/c_RATK2035M1.htm

All in all:

Much like the watch that [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] found, this is mostly geared to those who are visually impaired.
Although if you do have a visual impairment, this will be a difficult watch to set yourself if you can't receive the radio signal from the atomic clock.
And honestly, I have yet to get it to receive one since it arrived. Finally got it to receive a signal last night!

This is also not a watch to discreetly check time during a work meeting as it is fairly loud, even on a wrist.
However, if you find you need to keep your eyes affixed to something, say driving, and need to know the time, this will fit the bill.

It does look like a regular, cheap quartz watch. And that's kind of the point.
Looked for watch that wouldn't necessarily stand out if wearing it, but would provide the unusual when necessary.

And without further ado, here's the On-Time Atomic Watch in action:

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Hey, [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] that is indeed an interesting watch! Glad to hear it sync'ed!!!! Did you put it on a window sill?

10 down, 3 more to go!!!!!
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 pm After a good bit of time spent on Amazon, Etsy, AliExpress, and of course Ebay, I found what I was looking for...
The On-Time Talking Atomic Watch.

Great choice. I nearly pulled the trigger on one of these too.