We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Leap Year Challenge- The Aftermath

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, the first big challenge is complete and it was a lot of fun and a great experience for all involved. A big thanks to Animal Mother for starting this and to everyone involved.

In order to make the next challenge even better, we should have a quick discussion about the good, the bad and the ugly.

What was done well?
What can be improved upon?
Were there missed opportunities?
How was the timing? (Pre challenge, challenge, submission and voting)
Should we do more?

I have my thoughts, but I wanted to get this out there tonight and won’t be able to type things up until the morning.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Re: Leap Year Challenge- The Aftermath

Post by PetWatch »

I think over all the rules were well stipulated, with the exception of a clearly delineated procedure and set time in which to determine the winner. Interestingly, I couldn't see the rules on Tapeatalk, which is what I usually use to view the forum. I am aware the Tapeatalk issue is my problem. Also, keep to clearly articulated rules, for example, all set rules reference “a watch”, not the option of multiple watches per entrant. Not to take anything away from the winner, who with all due respect to the other entrants and their worthy entries, I think Watchpalooza was mostly competing against himself.

Opening the vote to everyone would garner more interest. I voted, thought I voted, because as mentioned above couldn't see the rules and recall discussion about whether to allow none participants to vote, and as I recall this wasn't clearly resolved.

All in all it was a great challenge, a great idea to learn about some watches, I for one didn't know about.

Definitely do more.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Placeholder- come back soon
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

PetWatch wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:33 pm I think over all the rules were well stipulated, with the exception of a clearly delineated procedure and set time in which to determine the winner. Interestingly, I couldn't see the rules on Tapeatalk, which is what I usually use to view the forum. I am aware the Tapeatalk issue is my problem. Also, keep to clearly articulated rules, for example, all set rules reference “a watch”, not the option of multiple watches per entrant. Not to take anything away from the winner, who with all due respect to the other entrants and their worthy entries, I think Watchpalooza was mostly competing against himself.

Opening the vote to everyone would garner more interest. I voted, thought I voted, because as mentioned above couldn't see the rules and recall discussion about whether to allow none participants to vote, and as I recall this wasn't clearly resolved.

All in all it was a great challenge, a great idea to learn about some watches, I for one didn't know about.

Definitely do more.
One vs. Multiple Watches
The one watch vs. multiple was a bit confusing. It was changed to one entry regardless of the number of watches. This was buried in the epic thread that this challenge became. The original rules post could have been updated for clarity. For clarity and ease of judging, I think that the same number of watches should be required of all participants unless a given challenge states otherwise.

Tapatalk doesn't like lists. I don't know why. If you attempt to quote a post that has a list, you can see the text within the quote.

Voting
Noted on the voting. We had talked about a couple options for collecting the vote and how it would be done, but we faltered in the execution and communication at the end. There was just so much that was discussed and so much time had passed that the details were no longer fresh in our minds.

I think that for the future I would like to see a summary post of all the entries in a consolidated format. The entry title, entrant name, a single picture, a brief description and a link to the original post would do. These would be posted all in one go and would be a handy reference. It could also be built as we went along with one post per entry by the owner of the thread. It would be closed for comments. I think that this would help as a reminder and a source for those that hadn't been following along. It would also help promote outside voting and promote the challenges in general as it would be a separate 'highlight reel' post.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

All great points, thank you. I was just amazed that anyone took part in my hair-brained scheme!

I think it may have run sooner had there not been a global pandemic in the middle of it all! :lol:

Thanks for all of your support and help with the rules, thread, voting, etc. I had a cracking time with it. I'm really looking forward to the next challenge.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Animal Mother wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:43 pm All great points, thank you. I was just amazed that anyone took part in my hair-brained scheme!

I think it may have run sooner had there not been a global pandemic in the middle of it all! :lol:

Thanks for all of your support and help with the rules, thread, voting, etc. I had a cracking time with it. I'm really looking forward to the next challenge.
I, for one, and very thankful for your "hair-brained scheme." I knew that I wasn't going to be a contender but I learned a lot more about eBay and affordable watches. In fact, I'm bidding on one right now with some input from [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] 8-) . That wouldn't have happened a few months ago!
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Animal Mother wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:43 pm All great points, thank you. I was just amazed that anyone took part in my hair-brained scheme!

Dude, you are on a roll with your second suggestion also for a field watch. I hope that will be our next one. Thinking if you keep this up we may need to appoint you the moderator for the Challenges forum. :D
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:09 am

Dude, you are on a roll with your second suggestion also for a field watch. I hope that will be our next one. Thinking if you keep this up we may need to appoint you the moderator for the Challenges forum. :D
I will be looking forward to the discussion of what constitutes a field watch :D .
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Split-Time wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:40 am
watchpalooza wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:09 am

I will be looking forward to the discussion of what constitutes a field watch :D .
That's the beauty of the challenges...we don't have to agree, its up to each participant to provide their view of what constitutes a valid entry and we get then a variety of viewpoints, perhaps broadening our own perspective.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

One thing I would like to clear up is the purchasing of watch lots and how the cost of a watch is presented.

If a lot is purchased for $100 for one particular watch and the lot contains 10 watches, is the cost of the watch $10 or $100 and you got 9 free watches?

I would say that if the sole purpose of the purchase was a challenge that requires one watch then the cost of that watch would be $100.

If there is a second desirable watch in the lot then perhaps the lot cost could be decided by two. That is getting into the weeds though.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I don’t know much about hand wind field watches, so I would learn a lot. However, there are a bunch of suggestions in the idea thread and we should probably run a poll to at least narrow down the ideas.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

One final point, there was a limited registration period. It's preferable to have open registration so anyone late to discover the contest, or who has a change of mind, can remain eligible to submit an entry at anytime during the entry acceptance period. The unfolding contest itself generates excitement and will likely lead to more entries if it remains open to entry. Don't see the need for a pre entry registration with a closing date.

I would likely have occasionally searched for an entry watch and if found submitted to the contest had participants registration not closed. Some potential participants, like myself, will be unwilling to commit to a contest that is not of very high interest, among other reasons...
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

PetWatch wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:31 pm One final point, there was a limited registration period. It's preferable to have open registration so anyone late to discover the contest, or who has a change of mind, can remain eligible to submit an entry at anytime during the entry acceptance period. The unfolding contest itself generates excitement and will likely lead to more entries if it remains open to entry. Don't see the need for a pre entry registration with a closing date.

I would likely have occasionally searched for an entry watch and if found submitted to the contest had participants registration not closed. Some potential participants, like myself, will be unwilling to commit to a contest that is not of very high interest, among other reasons...
This is an interesting thought. My reservation with an open registration for the first challenge was someone seeing an interesting watch purchased, being inspired by it and buying something similar to it. Registration could be open during the shopping period and then close at the end of it. I'm OK with this if there are no objections.

In other news, proposed rules changes are going to be discussed on slack before posing them in another thread and ultimately including them in the 2nd challenge announcement.