We're Moving!

Click for more info.

$35 Mechanical Field Watch Challenge

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Guyinwatch
MoT Member

Re: $35 Mechanical Field Watch Challenge

Post by Guyinwatch »

I'm hoping to get lucky searching "watch needs battery" on ebay! 🤙
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

peskydonut wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:06 am Don't know if these would qualify (worth checking with @Sporkboy), but Russians are always a good source for cheap mechanicals.

EDIT: Just saw the rule for "no rotating bezel", that might disqualify most if not all Komandirskies.
The Komandirskie came to my mind right away... maybe with no bezel? lol.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

cortman wrote:
peskydonut wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:06 am Don't know if these would qualify (worth checking with @Sporkboy), but Russians are always a good source for cheap mechanicals.

EDIT: Just saw the rule for "no rotating bezel", that might disqualify most if not all Komandirskies.
If you pop off the bezel then the watch would not have a bezel. If you glue the bezel down then it wouldn’t have a rotating bezel.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

$35 Mechanical Field Watch Challenge

Post by Sporkboy »

Sporkboy wrote:
cortman wrote:

If you pop off the bezel then the watch would not have a bezel. If you glue the bezel down then it wouldn’t have a rotating bezel.
If Marlon Brando can remove the bezel from a Rolex GMT Master and have it pass for a field watch in Apacolypse Now, I figure it is OK to remove bezels from Vostoks to do the same.
Guyinwatch
MoT Member

Post by Guyinwatch »

Sporkboy wrote: If Marlon Brando can remove the bezel from a Rolex GMT Master and have it pass for a field watch in Apacolypse Now, I figure it is OK to remove bezels from Vostoks to do the same.
The horror
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Maybe there are some frankens from India that will fit the bill. Lots of Russian watches are out there that would work, many being sold as having been serviced. That isn’t a bad way to go if you find something that catches your eye.

I have seen some new watches that would work, but I would rather trust a used vintage movement of decent quality over a new piece of lower quality. Servicing is the big issue with these watches.

If you are handy with watches, you could theoretically find a decent lot and hope to get one working movement and enough compatible parts to build something.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Guyinwatch wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:33 am
Sporkboy wrote: If Marlon Brando can remove the bezel from a Rolex GMT Master and have it pass for a field watch in Apacolypse Now, I figure it is OK to remove bezels from Vostoks to do the same.
The horror
36A4DDA6-D15C-4C97-9700-1B67ACF3C139.jpeg
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I am working on an image to use on Instagram to promote the challenge. Awaiting approval to use an image for this purpose.

If anyone wants to share the challenge, you can Use: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1738

I tried using a URL shortener, but I couldn’t get that to work.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

cortman wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:55 am Anyone have any tips for finding such a watch? Being mechanical seems to cut down on availability a lot...
Not to give any pro tips away, but I think the first choice to make is whether you want to go for something “new” or something vintage. If new, then you are seeking an off-brand Chinese watch from Alibaba, ebay or amazon, or an atlas, timex or casio with the right style. There are countless "fashion" field watches which look the part, but would never be relied upon for actual field use.

If vintage, then its mostly about sniping auctions for either old trench watches between WWI and WWII, or watches from the 40’s or 50’s. You can also find options from the 60’s to 80’s, though there will be fewer options in the price range. There are specific brands to look for, but I’ll leave that to you to figure out. You will have to decide whether you want to buy something that functions vs “cobbling together” as Sporkboy has allowed in this contest. Personally I do not want to own too many Frankenwatches, so for me this choice is clear (one exception being an official “MoT” watch, of course). Hopefully that helps.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

[mention]Sporkboy[/mention], one question re the rules:

Is the contest limited to wristwatches, or are pocket watches also an option?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Guyinwatch
MoT Member

Post by Guyinwatch »

watchpalooza wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:49 pm Some background:

https://watchranker.com/field-watch/

From the article you linked
A watch was an invaluable tool to ensure military precision, but in the midst of battle, reaching into your pocket to check the time was impractical and potentially deadly. Wristwatches solved this problem.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Guyinwatch wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:49 am
watchpalooza wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:49 pm Some background:

https://watchranker.com/field-watch/

From the article you linked
A watch was an invaluable tool to ensure military precision, but in the midst of battle, reaching into your pocket to check the time was impractical and potentially deadly. Wristwatches solved this problem.
Right...so there were both pocket and wrist field watches, and one came to be preferred over the other.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Guyinwatch
MoT Member

Post by Guyinwatch »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:57 amRight...so there were both pocket and wrist field watches, and one came to be preferred over the other.
No. That is like saying the horseless carriage is a mid-size sedan. But i dig your style, and have said all along i am looking forward to the arguments as much as the watches. This is educational for me. And my opinion doesn't actually matter.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Guyinwatch wrote:
watchpalooza wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:57 amRight...so there were both pocket and wrist field watches, and one came to be preferred over the other.
No. That is like saying the horseless carriage is a mid-size sedan. But i dig your style, and have said all along i am looking forward to the arguments as much as the watches. This is educational for me. And my opinion doesn't actually matter.
It is natural that there is overlap in dial styles and features between pocket watches and field watches. I should make it clear that a field watch is wrist mounted.

If you want to mount a pocket watch to your wrist, then by definition it is a wristwatch.

Pocket watches are only allowed if mounted to the wrist.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:33 am
Guyinwatch wrote:
It is natural that there is overlap in dial styles and features between pocket watches and field watches. I should make it clear that a field watch is wrist mounted.

If you want to mount a pocket watch to your wrist, then by definition it is a wristwatch.

Pocket watches are only allowed if mounted to the wrist.
Fair enough.
Click Icon To Contact Me