We're Moving!

Click for more info.

$35 Mechanical Field Watch Challenge

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: $35 Mechanical Field Watch Challenge

Post by Sporkboy »

[mention]Guyinwatch[/mention] no worries. It is a good looking field watch and there was nothing in the rules precluding homages or forgeries or anything like that.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, we’ve got some great entries so far and just a few more days to go for entries into the second watch hunting challenge.

Below are the participants I haven’t heard from yet.

Watchpalooza
BostonCharlie
Halaku
Tin-pusher
Rabirnie

Stretch44 had something pop in his entries movement, so he may be dropping out.

Cortman has dropped out due to a miscalculation of his parts costs that put him over budget.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

[mention]Guyinwatch[/mention]

Love it. It's quirky. Gratuitous use of banana is a bit bold in order to gain an unfair advantage! :lol:
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:00 pm OK, we’ve got some great entries so far and just a few more days to go for entries into the second watch hunting challenge.

Watchpalooza
BostonCharlie
Halaku
Tin-pusher
Rabirnie

Cortman has dropped out due to a miscalculation of his parts costs that put him over budget.
Yeah, unfortunately mine is a no go. Popped it open and it doesn't appear to be a simple fix. I was winding it up and something popped. There's no longer tension and winding doesn't catch anything. It's a Zim that I picked up for $25. Bummer, but oh well. I guess I could always use my Leonidas...

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Stretch44 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:06 pm
Sporkboy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:00 pm OK, we’ve got some great entries so far and just a few more days to go for entries into the second watch hunting challenge.

Watchpalooza
BostonCharlie
Halaku
Tin-pusher
Rabirnie

Yeah, unfortunately mine is a no go. Popped it open and it doesn't appear to be a simple fix. I was winding it up and something popped. There's no longer tension and winding doesn't catch anything. It's a Zim that I picked up for $25. Bummer, but oh well. I guess I could always use my Leonidas...
You may have already tried, but If not here are two things I would suggest:

1) pull crown all the way put to setting position, push and hold in the crown release and rotate the crown gently to see if it slides in a bit more before catching, then pushing it all the way in and let go the crown release

2) See if this little bugger needs tightening
3F20CF3A-947F-48C9-A581-FBBA7AE4AA52.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:47 am
Stretch44 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:06 pm

Watchpalooza
BostonCharlie
Halaku
Tin-pusher
Rabirnie

You may have already tried, but If not here are two things I would suggest:

1) pull crown all the way put to setting position, push and hold in the crown release and rotate the crown gently to see if it slides in a bit more before catching, then pushing it all the way in and let go the crown release

2) See if this little bugger needs tightening

3F20CF3A-947F-48C9-A581-FBBA7AE4AA52.jpeg
Thanks for the tips. Tried both and neither worked. I'll have to tear it down to see what happened.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I will try to get my entry posted tomorrow.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

First off, a big Thank You to Sporkboy for managing this challenge -- it's been great fun. So cool to see what everybody has found!

01_cover.jpg
Watch Make/Model//Reference: Milos

Why You Picked it For This Challenge: Seller's description: "The watch is in perfect working order." I liked reading that. I liked its numerals, its detailed dial and its red seconds hand. I liked its sculpted lugs. Based on the listing, I thought the dial was two-toned. Actually the dial curves downward from the tracks, which complements the domed surface of the crystal.

Cost: I am currently in the doghouse for buying "too many" watches, so price was a big factor. Somehow I got this for $13.30 + tax, which included free shipping. It was such a good deal that I feel a little guilty about it. The balance of my budget went to buying a new strap: $21.95. Total (before tax): $35.25. I had to get tricky to fit this strap into the budget, as you can see in my screenshot below.

Purchase Listing:
milos_listing.jpg
milos_fluco_strap_order.png
Maintenance/Repairs Done (if any): Replaced the strap. The crystal is in beautiful condition. Its timekeeping is better than my Seiko's (TODO: add timekeeping details). Knock on wood -- I feel pretty lucky with my pick.

Watch Details (dimensions, movement, features, etc.): 17 jewel "Incabloc" Swiss made mechanical, 32mm x 10.5mm (incl. crystal), 16mm lug width, base metal case, stainless steel back.

Additional Pictures Go Here: Based on the listing photos I thought it had a flat, tan dial. Turns out to have a champagne-colored dial with a light, horizontal brush that catches the light in fun ways that's difficult to capture in photos.

02_detail.jpg
03_detail.jpg
04_detail.jpg
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Nice score [mention]BostonCharlie[/mention]!
Competition is getting fierce.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

That is a really cool watch [mention]BostonCharlie[/mention]!
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

TheJohnP wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:44 pm Nice score @BostonCharlie!
Competition is getting fierce.
Split-Time wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:54 pm That is a really cool watch @BostonCharlie!
Thanks, guys! It doesn't have the cachet of the more vintage pieces posted so far, but I feel pretty lucky I found it.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

[mention]BostonCharlie[/mention] Great watch. Applied indices is a cracking touch and a rare find.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Animal Mother wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 am @BostonCharlie Great watch. Applied indices is a cracking touch and a rare find.
Are they applied or is the dial pressed metal? Very cool to see this kind of thing in this challenge.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Sporkboy wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:32 am
Animal Mother wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 am @BostonCharlie Great watch. Applied indices is a cracking touch and a rare find.
Are they applied or is the dial pressed metal? Very cool to see this kind of thing in this challenge.
I believe the relief effect on the numerals is created by the lume that's been applied to the (otherwise flat) dial. In my oblique shots its thickness might be exaggerated by the crystal distorting the light. So, not as fancy as it appears at first glance.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Wow, the watches entered thus far are fantastic examples of classic field watches. Some of the prices paid are remarkable for the quality and amount of vintage watch obtained. I am humbled to participate alongside each of the other participants.

Here is my entry, a military-styled Junghans from April 1970:
——————————————————
Overall Picture of Watch

I love the unique case shape and high readability. The slight offset of the arabic indices from the hashmark track is a nice touch, and the hands are the correct length. The case finishing is top notch, with nicely bezeled edges highly polished to contrast with the sunburst brushing on top.

About Junghans

Junghans Uhren GmbH is an established and well-known German brand. Based in Schramberg, Junghans was founded by two brothers in April 1861 and has grown to become the largest watch and mechanism factory in Germany. In the 1950’s the company became famous for its collaboration with designer Max Bill to produce Bauhaus style watches. The company has innovated both in design and engineering over the years, preferring to take chances and challenge traditional thinking over simply making money. Many Junghans creations have won design awards or become museum pieces. In 1980 Junghans introduced the world’s first radio-controlled clock, followed by the first RC watch the “Mega !”. In 1995 they pioneered development of a solar-powered clock. They are an extraordinary watch company and are highly regarded.

Why I Picked it For This Challenge

This was a difficult challenge for me, because I already own 6-8 vintage field watches from the 40’s which are small (by today’s standards), have nearly identical cases, and have the railroad minutes track, syringe hands, etc. The same is true for WWI trench / field watches. I did not want to add more of the same to my collection as I have these well-covered. So for my entry I looked to post-WWII Vietnam era, when even field watches were updated with some late 60’s / early 70’s design elements. I own an Oris field watch from the same period that I absolutely love, and thought I would try to add another unique watch to my collection.

It is a larger size (36mm x 34mm, but only 9mm thick), which means I will wear it more than its smaller kin. I really like the television case, which marks it as from the period. The dial is well-executed for high readability. The lume still looks really good for its age, though it does not last too long.

The movement (Junghans 620.00) is a 17 jewel workhorse that was fully developed in-house by German engineers and only produced for 5 years from 1967 to 72. It has a “Star Shock” shock protection mechanism running at 18,000 A/h and has a 47h reserve. The innovative Germans even included a screw on the balance **** to permit fine adjustment. Another peculiarity is that the barrel is mounted with two rubies. The stamp “D70” under the balance indicates production in April 1970. This one after adjustment is keeping +/- 12s per day.

Cost & Purchase Listing

€23,16 for the watch + €6,90 shipping on ebay.de here. Had the band, spring bars and a replacement seal.

Maintenance and Repairs Done

This is what the lugs looked like when I received the watch:

Needless to say the crystal and case needed a lot of cleaning, and I replaced the spring pins with an extra set I had lying around. All told, here are the things I did to get to current condition:
  • Replaced spring bars
  • Strap change
  • Case and stem cleaned ultrasonically
  • Dial brushed
  • Crystal cleaned and polished
  • Case seal replaced
  • Movement oiled and adjusted to +/- 12s/day

Watch Details (dimensions, movement, features, etc.)
  • Manual wind in-house Junghans 620.00, 17J, 18000 A/h, 47h reserve
  • Domed Acrylic crystal
  • Concealed lugs (20mm)
  • Television case with beveled polished edges
  • Dimensions: 36mm x 34mm, but only 9mm thick
  • High readability dial with full set lumed arabic numerals
  • Lumed hands

Additional Pictures

Well, that is my entry. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. A big thank you to [mention]Animal Mother[/mention] for coming up with the idea for this challenge, and [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] for organizing it. This one was, for me...a lot of fun!
Click Icon To Contact Me