We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Challenge Rejects

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Challenge Rejects

Post by watchpalooza »

What to do with all those watches you picked up to enter in a challenge, but for whatever reason do not make the cut? Show them off here! Perhaps tell a bit about them and why you opted not to enter them.

Here are two I bought and decided not to enter in the $35 Field Watch Challenge.

Got this one for €33.68. It’s a newer Meister Anker, running an automatic Miyota 8215 with exhibition back, limited edition, screw-down crown, 5 bar water resistance. Was advertised as titanium case, but it may be bead-blasted steel. Date wheel needs alignment, but otherwise in great shape. Figuring most would opt for older beat-up watches, it was to be a “modern” entry and also larger than most. Unfortunately, I fell in love with a vintage one instead and it will be my entry.
BEACF1C5-1441-444B-A26B-923E7B471430.jpeg
CA05AD91-450F-468F-9937-421AF00D3B6B.jpeg

And this one is an Anker 100 that cost me €22. LOVE this watch! But while it serve well as a field watch, it is actually a diver without a bezel...did not quite feel right about that....and did not want to risk debate or disqualification.
82BB615B-C10D-4960-BAF3-5308A625B4FD.jpeg
AA86D48D-8010-41F1-BE2E-150CF84C1D66.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Challenge Rejects

Post by MoT »

I only have one reject, bought for $21.43 including shipping.

I teased this one on Discord before it came in. I said an oracle told me about it. I picked it mainly for the fancy lugs, the dial layout and the hand set. However, another I bought came in before this, and I bonded with it instantly. Too bad too, as this one is pretty nice.

No markings under the balance apart from the number 3. I think it is an AS of some order, but I'm not sure. Movement is clean, and it runs pretty well.

I think it may be a bit of a Frankenwatch. The dial says "Delphi", the inner case-back says "Homis" and the crown is a signed Benrus one. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

This was going to be my entry.
A Westclox La Salle watch.
It was about $23.

The reason it isn't my entry is because it wasn't in running condition. Though it was listed as such.
And since it's an old Westclox, I wasn't about to open it up with a chance to expose myself to any errant radium paint.
Thankfully the seller took the watch back as a return and offered me a full refund.

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, sharing the rejects is well and good, but I don’t want any potential entrants to be put off by the quality of some of these.

I believe that they are shared in the name of providing more ideas about what is out there as well as providing potential brands to look out for.

Voting is completely subjective, so anyone could win. Keep up the hunt and I am sure that you will find something special.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

This thread makes me feel less guilty (but no more confident) about my purchases so far. :lol:
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Everything shown thus far smokes my entry :lol: . Way to rub it in guys 8-) .
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Challenge Rejects

Post by Sporkboy »

Split-Time wrote:Everything shown thus far smokes my entry :lol: . Way to rub it in guys 8-) .
That was the one thing that I was afraid of with this kind of post. Especially with the open registration scheme. Maybe we will save the rejects until after the submissions are all in for the next challenge.

While there is a competitive aspect to these challenge, that should be secondary to going on a journey together to learn more about learning about watches and hunting down deals on eBay.

If you don’t find something that you don’t have a use for, don’t feel obligated to make a purchase just to participate. You can follow along with the entries as they come in and learn about them. This should be educational all around even if you don’t end up finding something to enter. Everyone is at a different place in their watch journey, so some challenges may be harder than others. It is my hope that challenges will be inclusive to enthusiasts at all levels.

If you have suggestions for future challenges, please let those be known. We’ll do a ‘lessons learned’ follow-up after the voting concludes.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:10 pm
Split-Time wrote:Everything shown thus far smokes my entry :lol: . Way to rub it in guys 8-) .
That was the one thing that I was afraid of with this kind of post. Especially with the open registration scheme. Maybe we will save the rejects until after the submissions are all in for the next challenge.

While there is a competitive aspect to these challenge, that should be secondary to going on a journey together to learn more about learning about watches and hunting down deals on eBay.

If you don’t find something that you don’t have a use for, don’t feel obligated to make a purchase just to participate. You can follow along with the entries as they come in and learn about them. This should be educational all around even if you don’t end up finding something to enter. Everyone is at a different place in their watch journey, so some challenges may be harder than others. It is my hope that challenges will be inclusive to enthusiasts at all levels.

If you have suggestions for future challenges, please let those be known. We’ll do a ‘lessons learned’ follow-up after the voting concludes.
Oh, I definitely feel like I am on a journey with everyone, and I enjoyed seeing what others culled because the challenge goes on for a while. My post was somewhat of an acknowledgement that I am a complete newb that this, and I'm OK with that.

I do hope that everyone feels welcome. We have a fantastic bunch, and our size right now lends itself to a feeling of community. Those things would be harder to accomplish if we had a lot more participants and much higher price point.

This challenge has already been worth more than $35 to me just from the conversation that my wife and I had about the sizes of watches growing over time. You all gave me some info on that topic over on the discord channel. She probably never thought about the subject until she held my entry in her hand and said, "so this really was a man's watch? Huh? I've never thought about that but now that you mention it when we watch old movies and shows the men's watches were very small."

Also, my last watch purchase prior to this was the speedmaster. My wife called me at work when the challenge watch arrived. She didn't know what is was until I said, "my watch is here!" I'm sure she was like :roll: and :oops: . Then I told her that it was $22 and she somewhat took an interest in it.

Everything is good ;)
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

This one didn’t make the cut, but I am really enjoying it....I am a sucker for red seconds hands. Had to remove some deep scratches from the glass, and some schmeg from inside. Otherwise, she seems to like her new home.
1177F79D-8591-4E00-BE33-DCDB05583B17.jpeg
95EFDF35-FD80-4727-964C-B4716FF528B3.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

This is one of the watches from my grandpa. I was thinking of using it for the challenge, but decided against. Stem was bent, but my jeweler fixed it for $20. Run surprisingly well. I know that Leonidas merged with Tag in the 60s, but I really don't know much more. Anyone have any knowledge? I'll pop it open and post a movement pic. I have yet to clean it, so it should look better after I do that.

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Stretch44 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:25 am This is one of the watches from my grandpa. I was thinking of using it for the challenge, but decided against. Stem was bent, but my jeweler fixed it for $20. Run surprisingly well. I know that Leonidas merged with Tag in the 60s, but I really don't know much more. Anyone have any knowledge? I'll pop it open and post a movement pic. I have yet to clean it, so it should look better after I do that.

That is a beauty. Leonidas are highly sought after. Here are some links with bits of history:

https://www.leonidaswatch.com/leonidas-past-and-present
https://thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/ ... s-watches/

Basically, high-end watches from the late 1800’s until they merged with Heuer in 1964. They made a lot pf military instruments as well as watches. I will see what I can find on the one you have. Are there any numbers on the caseback?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Thanks! Here's a pic of the caseback. Numbers are 278489.

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

My guess for age would be late 40’s, but I will try to get something from the serial. Movement pics will also help hone in on the date.

Edit: correction, I would say EARLY 40’s.
Click Icon To Contact Me

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

My guess is 1940 to 1944 with an FHF movement inside, perhaps the cal 186. Likely a 1018 stamped inside the case back. It looks to be a black-dialed watch in the style of the ATP. Some details from The book 'British Military Timepieces' by Konrad Knirim. The ATP’s (Army Trade Pattern) were issued to British military in WWII...yours may be an ATP or a civilian version (usually they are stamped ATP on the back).

60F92968-93C1-4273-924A-88AA4E6DE518.jpeg

Movement should look like this:
1E04B141-B84E-49B1-9AC6-8B30C64BCB8D.jpeg

And inside caseback:
255F3776-C747-4AC3-A138-8DED56B42F16.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

When I started researching I wondered if he wore this during the war. If it's early 40s then it's possible. I wish I could ask him. Here's a pic of the movement.