We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Mini Review: Eterna KonTiki Four-Hands Full Black / Bracelet, model # 1598.33.41.1722

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Mini Review: Eterna KonTiki Four-Hands Full Black / Bracelet, model # 1598.33.41.1722

Post by watchpalooza »

Copied from HUISABH thread:
danktrees wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:38 am
TimePeace wrote:
danktrees wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:58 pm I'm not super impressed by the watch now that I have it. The dial is nice but the rest of the watch feels cheap. The bracelet is not very good, picks up fingerprints super easily and something seems off with the weight. It's also fairly loose with a lot of play between each link. The clasp isn't very nice either so it makes the watch feel cheap. The way that the screws and pins are used to adjust the bracelet is stupid as well.

As for the case it's finished the same way as the bracelet so it picks up lots of fingerprints and smudges. I've had nicer PVD watches that I would rate higher. The finish is more of a grey colour, not even close to black. I wasn't expecting it to be vantablack or anything but this is a bit disappointing.

It's keeping very good time, within 2 second after a day so far which is definitely a plus. Winding the watch isn't super smooth, you can feel the gears turning while you wind it. This isn't a terrible issue but it's unimpressive. Combined with the rest of the watch it just doesn't say luxury to me. It's not great when I prefer the look of the computer rendered image on Ashford over the look of the actual watch in real life as it's usually the other way around.

This is not a watch I would consider buying at Ashford's regular discounted price of 1149 and certainly not anywhere near the full MSRP from an AD or something. The only saving grace is the dial (the look of which is subjective) and timekeeping, otherwise this watch not worth owning as there are better options available imo.
Sorry to hear that. Usually KonTikis get excellent reviews for quality. Perhaps switching out the bracelet for a nice strap would temper the disappointment.

Based on the remaining quality, was it still worth the $642 though?
This will be my last comment on this watch since this isn't the correct thread for it. Any other questions please pm me.

I suppose it's not terrible at this price but I was holding it to a higher standard since it's normally much higher priced even when it's discounted from a grey dealer. I was expecting this to be a good/great deal and it's basically just passable at best. The play in the bracelet makes it rattle when you're handling it which makes it feel and sound super cheap.

With this in mind I would say that there are better options so this watch probably isn't worth it even at this price. For example, I think cward, davosa, steinharts, Hamilton, squale (just to name a few) put out a better product at a better price.

I know we all kind of laugh at how cward always have sales that diminish the value of their watches but the watches themselves actually feel like quality and perform well.

The only reasons I can think of to own this watch are if you like the dial and have to have it or if you just want a kontiki of some sort. Otherwise this watch brings nothing impressive to the table.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Mini Review: Eterna KonTiki Four-Hands Full Black / Bracelet, model # 1598.33.41.1722

Post by TheJohnP »

Hopefully [mention]danktrees[/mention] will add some pictures
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
danktrees
MoT Member

Re: Mini Review: Eterna KonTiki Four-Hands Full Black / Bracelet, model # 1598.33.41.1722

Post by danktrees »

Here are some pics. Tapatalk uploaded them sideways for some reason and I can't fix it. In the second pic you can kinda see the gaps between the links that I previously mentioned. It makes the bracelet rattle a little bit which leaves a cheap impression.

The last pic is the colour of it against the sleeve of my black hoodie. Looking at the watch itself it might look black in colour but when it's next to something that's actually black you'll definitely notice that the watch is more like grey/dark grey so that's disappointing.

From my reply in the other thread:

I suppose it's not terrible at this price (650) but I was holding it to a higher standard since it's normally much higher priced even when it's discounted from a grey dealer. I was expecting this to be a good/great deal and it's basically just passable at best. The play in the bracelet makes it rattle when you're handling it which makes it feel and sound super cheap.

With this in mind I would say that there are better options so this watch probably isn't worth it even at this price. For example, I think cward, davosa, steinharts, Hamilton, squale (just to name a few) put out a better product at a better price.

I know we all kind of laugh at how cward always have sales that diminish the value of their watches but the watches themselves actually feel like quality and perform well.

The only reasons I can think of to own this watch are if you like the dial and have to have it or if you just want a kontiki of some sort. Otherwise this watch brings nothing impressive to the table.ImageImageImageImageImage
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

danktrees wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:37 pm Here are some pics. Tapatalk uploaded them sideways for some reason and I can't fix it. In the second pic you can kinda see the gaps between the links that I previously mentioned. It makes the bracelet rattle a little bit which leaves a cheap impression.

The last pic is the colour of it against the sleeve of my black hoodie. Looking at the watch itself it might look black in colour but when it's next to something that's actually black you'll definitely notice that the watch is more like grey/dark grey so that's disappointing.

From my reply in the other thread:

I suppose it's not terrible at this price (650) but I was holding it to a higher standard since it's normally much higher priced even when it's discounted from a grey dealer. I was expecting this to be a good/great deal and it's basically just passable at best. The play in the bracelet makes it rattle when you're handling it which makes it feel and sound super cheap.

The only reasons I can think of to own this watch are if you like the dial and have to have it or if you just want a kontiki of some sort. Otherwise this watch brings nothing impressive to the table.ImageImageImageImageImage
After seeing your real life pics, I kind of understand why you are disappointed. The dial looks not too bad, but looks a bit flat and it is not lively and stunning as the stock pics. It just doesn't shine as expected. However, it's still okay for the discounted price, IMHO.
danktrees
MoT Member

Post by danktrees »

i dont find myself wearing this watch much at all. if anyone is interested i'm willing to let it go at a loss $625 shipped.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

danktrees wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:57 am i dont find myself wearing this watch much at all. if anyone is interested i'm willing to let it go at a loss $625 shipped.
If you are serious, you are free to list it for sale in the MoT Bazaar here.. This will give you maximum visibility for members who may be interested.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
danktrees
MoT Member

Post by danktrees »

watchpalooza wrote:
danktrees wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:57 am i dont find myself wearing this watch much at all. if anyone is interested i'm willing to let it go at a loss $625 shipped.
If you are serious, you are free to list it for sale in the MoT Bazaar here.. This will give you maximum visibility for members who may be interested.
Thanks I'll need to get my post count up first so I'll post it at a later date.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk