We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Traska Summiteer

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

The Traska Summiteer

Post by tommy_boy »

Many of you know of, and some own Traska's first offering, the Freediver. He made a lot of fans with that one, and I expect he'll make more with his second, a charming tool watch, the Summiteer. The KS price was $400. He lists it for $500 on his site.

I've looked at a number of 3/6/9/Triangle designs but didn't bite. The 1016 was never on the table, so I just kept looking. What appealed to me about the Summiteer was the choice of dial colors. I chose Sage Green. The others are a very dark blue and charcoal/black.

When the watch arrived (delayed, of course) I was impressed by the minimalist packaging. No massive, pretentious presentation box. Just a suitable leather travel case in a paper carton.

The watch itself presents a distinctly wearable mid-century vibe. It is a 38mm watch that wears like a 40. The sapphire glass (with underside A/R) measures 31.5. It measures 10.4mm tall, 46mm L2L. There is a touch of polished steel on the bezel, too. It appears again on the clasp's edge. It is powered by a Miyota 9039.

The slab-side profile is appropriate and the drilled lugs are a definite plus. It features a proprietary coating (rumored to be Ti) that yields a hardness spec of 1200 Vickers. The 7mm signed screw-down crown aids in its 100 meter WR rating.

As you expect in a field watch, it is very readable. The markers extend to the rim of the recessed dial. The minute hand extends to the track. The BGW9 lume is acceptable, with limited staying power.

I am a bracelet enthusiast. This is where some of my enthusiasm fades. It is 20mm at the lugs and 16 at the clasp. So far, so good. It is comfortable and appropriate for the design. Its clasp is signed and includes nice perlage.

(Incidentally, I chose the option of a solid case back. An exhibition case is standard.)

But perlage and $5 will get you a cup of coffee and a doughnut. The issue is with the soft screws and sharp edges of the links. I was able to size the bracelet with no issues (others have not been as fortunate.) I will soften the link edges with an emery board and see what happens.

My wrist measures about 6.75". Here's a wrist shot in full light to show the dial color you'll observe as you summit.

All-in-all, I think this is a great watch for the price I paid. I will throw it on leather, too, just for fun.
Last edited by tommy_boy on Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: The Traska Summiteer

Post by yinzburgher »

Very nice watch and review! If you think of it in a few months, I'd be interested to know how the proprietary coating holds up to normal wear and tear. It was pretty surprising when they announced that feature. A scratch-resistant coating isn't something you normally see with a microbrand, let alone a proprietary one.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:45 pm Very nice watch and review! If you think of it in a few months, I'd be interested to know how the proprietary coating holds up to normal wear and tear. It was pretty surprising when they announced that feature. A scratch-resistant coating isn't something you normally see with a microbrand, let alone a proprietary one.
That will be a small sample size, lol. In a few months, I will have worn it only a few times. I'll probably follow up, though.

I have a Damasko and a tegimented Sinn that are bullet-proof, for what it's worth.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Thank you for taking the time to write that great review. It is refreshing to read an honest review from a seasoned enthusiast and someone who we know and trust.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Thanks for taking the time to give us a great review. It looks very good on your wrist. Will it have some tough time competing with your Damasko and Sinn? Time will tell perhaps. :)
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:45 pm Very nice watch and review! If you think of it in a few months, I'd be interested to know how the proprietary coating holds up to normal wear and tear. It was pretty surprising when they announced that feature. A scratch-resistant coating isn't something you normally see with a microbrand, let alone a proprietary one.
Not a scientific view, but I can vouch for durability. I have a Freediver with the coating and have been impressed with its scratch resistance compared to other watches I own.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Dius
MoT Member

Post by Dius »

Great review, couldn't agree more. Loving my midnight blue, but will say the lume is the major drawback imo.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

While I work to refine the bracelet, I have it on this Gunny strap. Its blasted hardware seems to compliment the case's treated finish.