We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Timex Mk1 Collective Review

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Timex Mk1 Collective Review

Post by Wolfsatz »

The Collective Review -

Let me begin by saying that I am an avid fan, follower, hard critiquer and above all those, lover of Timex Watches. I write this only to inform, help and share the excitement of the passion we all MoTs find from those unique pieces of horology that fill many acknowledge and many times those that we are not even conscientiously aware of.

A bit of background history in order to set up the needed perspective and contrast. In my collection, I have a few regular Scouts which are brass cases with very ‘cheap’ straps; there has been many very good color combinations of dials that when paired with the right strap; makes for a very good looking watch (type of beater if you must). A couple of years ago, Timex introduced the Archive collection and came up with a few ‘Allied’ models, to which I also own a few; however, they are nothing but a glorified Scout (same brass case) with a bit different dial markers and different hands to make them distinct from the Scouts. A few months later, they introduced the Mk1 Collection.

The Mk1 Collection is nothing like the Scout or Allieds. This is a serious watch, totally different case materials, a beautiful dome crystal, excellent quality on straps and relatively speaking decent lume. I have to add, that before acquiring my first (out of five now) Mk1, I was a bit skeptical, as I did not want another glorified Scout. In case you have to wonder, there is a reason why I have five in the collection.

The specs of the watch are just perfect, 40mm case, 20mm lugs, 9mm tall, lumed hands and markers; and for those that hate the loud ticking from Scouts and Expeditions; these are actually quiet.

The aluminum variants are super light yet very rugged and with an acrylic crystal, so those scratches can easily be buffed out. Timex has done multiple color variations, from matte black, stainless steel, gunmetal gray and even a matte blue.

At the time of this writing, these Mk1s have already been discontinued from TIMEX website because there is a new generation of the Mk1; but many of these are available on gray market at an excellent price.

The quality, finishing and obvious military heritage that these pieces bring to the table, will make them a good staple in any collection. For sure, they are keepers on mine and will be cherished for years to come.

And now, some eye candy!!!

ImageMk1 Bund by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageMk1 on Res Wing Bund by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageMk1 on Bund by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageTXMk1 Alum by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageMk1 Alum by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageTimex Mk1 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen:
cortman
MoT Member

Re: Timex Mk1 Collective Review

Post by cortman »

I have one of these too, the gray dial MK1. Really terrific field watch. Durable and good looking.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Thanks for the review [mention]Wolfsatz[/mention]. Do you notice any other differences between the steel and aluminum MK1. Is the volume of the ticking any different. Any other differences or is it mostly just the weight? I've thought about getting one of these. I'm not sure which but possibly one of the aluminum California variants. The blue one in the bottom pic maybe.

recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Wolfsatz wrote:The Collective Review -

Let me begin by saying that I am an avid fan, follower, hard critiquer and above all those, lover of Timex Watches. I write this only to inform, help and share the excitement of the passion we all MoTs find from those unique pieces of horology that fill many acknowledge and many times those that we are not even conscientiously aware of.

A bit of background history in order to set up the needed perspective and contrast. In my collection, I have a few regular Scouts which are brass cases with very ‘cheap’ straps; there has been many very good color combinations of dials that when paired with the right strap; makes for a very good looking watch (type of beater if you must). A couple of years ago, Timex introduced the Archive collection and came up with a few ‘Allied’ models, to which I also own a few; however, they are nothing but a glorified Scout (same brass case) with a bit different dial markers and different hands to make them distinct from the Scouts. A few months later, they introduced the Mk1 Collection.

The Mk1 Collection is nothing like the Scout or Allieds. This is a serious watch, totally different case materials, a beautiful dome crystal, excellent quality on straps and relatively speaking decent lume. I have to add, that before acquiring my first (out of five now) Mk1, I was a bit skeptical, as I did not want another glorified Scout. In case you have to wonder, there is a reason why I have five in the collection.

The specs of the watch are just perfect, 40mm case, 20mm lugs, 9mm tall, lumed hands and markers; and for those that hate the loud ticking from Scouts and Expeditions; these are actually quiet.

The aluminum variants are super light yet very rugged and with an acrylic crystal, so those scratches can easily be buffed out. Timex has done multiple color variations, from matte black, stainless steel, gunmetal gray and even a matte blue.

At the time of this writing, these Mk1s have already been discontinued from TIMEX website because there is a new generation of the Mk1; but many of these are available on gray market at an excellent price.

The quality, finishing and obvious military heritage that these pieces bring to the table, will make them a good staple in any collection. For sure, they are keepers on mine and will be cherished for years to come.

And now, some eye candy!!!

ImageMk1 on Res Wing Bund by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageMk1 on Bund by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageTXMk1 Alum by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageMk1 Alum by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageTimex Mk1 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
Your photos just pushed me over the top on the aluminum MK1, which just so happens to be available on Amazon for $33 right now (after $5 coupon). Just pulled the trigger... thanks and keep up the great work!

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Please quit taunting me with these watches. I am saving up for something else. Though I do have some baby stuff to sell on Craig’s List. Nope, that money is for something else.

These are nice looking field watches and my neighbor loves his MK1 chronograph, which seem to be around $40. I need another field watch like I need a hole in the head.

The only thing I don’t like is the Indiglo. In the indiglo watches I have, the black is never quite black enough for my tastes so that the Indiglo will work. I would want this simple watch to have super high contrast so that everything really pops. I think I am getting to the point where I am super picky about things like this.
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

yinzburgher wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:02 pm Thanks for the review @Wolfsatz. Do you notice any other differences between the steel and aluminum MK1. Is the volume of the ticking any different. Any other differences or is it mostly just the weight? I've thought about getting one of these. I'm not sure which but possibly one of the aluminum California variants. The blue one in the bottom pic maybe.

Sorry for the late response. If you handle them side by side ... you really cannot tell the difference between them. Someone asked me to weight them, which I already knew the aluminum would lighter, but did not know by how much. As far as loudness, they are both pretty equal. Not as noisy as the regular scouts.

ImageWeight by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
ImageWeight by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
ImageSide by side by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Mk1 Aluminum on Damasko Leather ImageSunday Tickers by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen: