We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Direnzo DRZ03 Eclipse

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
Sussa
MoT Member

Direnzo DRZ03 Eclipse

Post by Sussa »

The eagerly anticipated third release from Direnzo was fully funded on Kickstarter in a matter of minutes, if not seconds. It's easy to see why. Direnzo has a strong design language that is unique but still safely within the boundaries of "normal" for most folks.

Basic specs:
Case: 316L Stainless Steel
Crystal: Double-domed sapphire with anti-reflective coating
Case diameter: 40mm
Height: 12.5mm
Lug to lug: 48mm
Movement: Sellita SW-200-1 Elaboré + Incabloc

What drew me to it:
The attention to detail in the design. The ball on the second hand traces over the outside edge of the inner ring, eclipsing the date window. The markers on the bezel are paired with the indices - that is, the round indices at 3, 6, and 9 have oblong indices on the bezel and vice versa for all other markers except the paired triangles at 12.
IMG_20200921_144954.jpg
Unboxing and first impressions:
The kit comes in a black, drawer-like box. The full kit for Kickstarter backers includes a canvas and suede three-slot watch roll, a black tropics rubber strap, a coordinating NATO strap, and the Eclipse on a steel strap. My first impression was that it looked larger than 40mm possibly because of the thin bezel. The bezel's coin edge is a little hard to grip, but the bezel action is smooth if a little stiff.
IMG_20200921_143040.jpg
IMG_20200921_143214.jpg
The bracelet is generously sized, fitting up to an 8.5" wrist. I removed 6 links to fit my 6.5" wrist, plus one notch in on the clasp microadjustment. There are 6 microadjustments available on the clasp, but no half links on the bracelet. The dual-lock clasp is nice and tight, but also very long to accommodate all of the microadjustments. It spans most of the width of my wrist. Someone with smaller wrists might have a hard time wearing the bracelet without replacing the clasp.
IMG_20200921_144903.jpg
Wearability
I find it very comfortable, especially on the rubber strap. It's rare that I can forget I'm wearing a 40mm steel watch, but this does it. There were some complaints pre-production about the lugs not curving down, but that doesn't bother me. It sits nicely on the wrist and the slimness helps it disappear.
PXL_20200922_204414081.jpg
How about that quick-change strap mechanism?
It works! Not as magically as I'd hoped, but no complaints. It works best with the bracelet which simply snaps back into place, no tools required. Regular spring bars also snap into place, but not quite as easily. I opted to use a spring bar tool to not damage the spring bars. The included NATO was a pretty tight fit, but still slipped on. Not sure how a thicker leather NATO would fare.
IMG_20200922_155102.jpg
Accuracy
I'll revisit this after a few days. So far it's +.2s/d, but not a statistically significant number of samples.

Complaints
The bezel is slightly, maybe 1/4 second, misaligned
The tan markers on the bezel are translucent, and I think the bezel structure underneath is showing. Here's my best attempt at a macro (camera phone + loupe) to show it:
bezel-market-loupe.jpg
Overall
It's a keeper. It's comfortable, accurate, and visually interesting. I wouldn't have paid full retail for it, but it also retails at a price range I rarely venture into (665 CHF/~$725USD) Considering the popularity of the Kickstarter, the black and blue models should be reasonably easy to pick up on the second hand market. If you want the Blood Moon (red), you're probably in for a good hunt.
IMG_20200922_122100.jpg
Last edited by Sussa on Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Direnzo DRZ03 Eclipse

Post by TheJohnP »

Great review!
I really love the Direnzo design language that he introduced in the DRZ02.
If I had any desire for a diver, I would've jumped on this one.

Curious to see what he plans for DRZ04...
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Great review! Made me re-examine my pre-production model, and oddly the bezel is precisely aligned (no 1/4s misalignment). I do see what you mean though about the bezel markers being translucent.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Very nice review!
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Updating with accuracy data. Over three days, it's averaging +1.8/s per day. I typically put it on around 6:30 or 7am and take it off around 5 or 6pm, storing it dial up at night. It seems to run a little faster in the watch box, but balances out when worn.
Screenshot_20200924-153747.png