We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Bulova Curv 96A185

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Bulova Curv 96A185

Post by PetWatch »

This is one of those watches that I had in storage for close to three years awaiting a final decision, keep or flip. It's my secret stash. Who would do such a thing? Why? Don's ask, suffice it to say wrist time is at a premium and watches are aplenty. Recently, I finally decided to give it a try. What a pleasant surprise I was in for! I have not been so overwhelmingly surprised by a watch in a very long time, granted that expectations were low, but nonetheless. Not flawless, but what watch is, yet its unique characteristics easily overcome its shortcomings. Fit and finish is what I would expect in this price range, no surprise there. Seen as a whole is when one notices the delightfully engaging fluid design the curve creates. How it truly outshines its price point.

The dial has an almost inky black appearance, except for the iridescent navy blue central segment extending from the 2/10 markers to slightly past the 4/8 markers, which appear as a very dark matt navy blue or black depending on light and viewing angle. As the central blue segment catches the light at the right angle it presents a seamless gradient between the rich irisdescent blue and deep black. Atop the dial the curved scratch resistant sapphire crystal is surrounded by a curved polished stationary bezel with dive watch markings sitting atop the 43mm, 10mm thick, 22mm lug width, 30m water resistance curved cushion case. The curved stainless steel case exhibits a radiant brushed oval top surrounded by a beveled polished surface extending to the lugs, followed by brushed sides with a polished inward bevel to the brushed solid screw down case back. The bracelet has large brushed links with dual polished stripes running down its length that nicely compliment the case, reflecting light one link at a time depending on the angle, it uses a double deployment clasp.

The dial has different but well counter balanced silver brushed hour markers. The minute markers and lumed squared hour markers sit on the chapter ring. The brushed rehaut subtly reflect the lume markers and minute markers when viewed at angles. The lume is on the weak side, will not last all night, only a few hours. The silver skeletonized, roughly brushed lumed hour and minute hands allow for relatively easy time reading from most angles. The minute hand exhibits an almost imperceptible downward curved tip to conform with the curved dial. The Bulova name is well proportioned centered right below the 12 'clock tuning fork logo.

The subdials concentric silver outer rings, whose appearance I earnestly doubted and the source of much hesitation to try on the watch, thinking it would look cartoonish or cheapen the overall looks, once on the wrist are transformed into aesthetic harmony with the rest of the dial, and case. The subdial markers, with small min and sec increment marks and one or two easily distinguishable large reference points, 30 and 60 min, 60 sec, and 6 and 12hr, in the corresponding subdial, make a quick accurate reading difficult. The chronograph consists of three subdials, 60 min and 12hr with silver polished hands that are either extremely visible or almost invisible depending on lighting, and the 60 sec.with a very visible red hand, the latter of which doubles as a running seconds subdial. The seconds subdial starts and stops when the chronograph is activated, then runs as a second hand moving two ticks in one second. The faux lock down polished screw down pushers have a sharp click but are easy to press. The push pull crown has the nice tuning fork logo on it.

With the worlds first curved chronograph movement, 8137 with 11 jewels and a 3 prong torsional quartz crystal running at 262.144 kHz conservatively rated at +/- 5 SPM, this movement should be able to perform under a minute per year, many will likely perform significantly better.

Appearance, pulling away to view it at a normal distance one readily appreciates how all the pieces flow seamlessly together, smooth, in harmony. The Curv's curvatures, the dial, crystal and case create a delightfully appealing presence viewed from any angle. Now for the other major on the wrist test, how well does it wear?. How does this unusual case design wear? Correctly sized it wear wonderfully well. The Curv comfortably hugs the wrist and keeps it in place. The deployment clasp bracelet has five full size links and two half links for adjustment, for some folks this may makes attaining a good fit a challenge. I discovered that when the bracelet is adjusted to fit loose enough so that it slips on the wrist the ends of the curved lugs will uncomfortably bite into the wrist more than a typical protruding rounded caseback, due to the sharp angles of the curved case back being flush against the wrist. Bottom line with a flush sitting case on the wrist and these types of bracelets, the question of a good fit is always dependent on individual wrist contour. I can usually find a good fit, in this case it's a great fit due to the hugging nature of the Curv. There's always the option of another bracelet or a strap. Final world, looks great on the wrist.

It took a long time for me to place this watch on my wrist, it won't take as long for the next one. There are quite a few design varieties available that can be purchased at very reasonable prices.

Photos here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=295
VCheng
MoT Member

Re: Bulova Curv 96A185

Post by VCheng »

PetWatch wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:37 pm This is one of those watches that I had in storage for close to three years awaiting a final decision, keep or flip. It's my secret stash. Who would do such a thing? Why? Don's ask, suffice it to say wrist time is at a premium and watches are aplenty. Recently, I finally decided to give it a try. What a pleasant surprise I was in for! I have not been so overwhelmingly surprised by a watch in a very long time, granted that expectations were low, but nonetheless. Not flawless, but what watch is, yet its unique characteristics easily overcome its shortcomings. Fit and finish is what I would expect in this price range, no surprise there. Seen as a whole is when one notices the delightfully engaging fluid design the curve creates. How it truly outshines its price point.

The dial has an almost inky black appearance, except for the iridescent navy blue central segment extending from the 2/10 markers to slightly past the 4/8 markers, which appear as a very dark matt navy blue or black depending on light and viewing angle. As the central blue segment catches the light at the right angle it presents a seamless gradient between the rich irisdescent blue and deep black. Atop the dial the curved scratch resistant sapphire crystal is surrounded by a curved polished stationary bezel with dive watch markings sitting atop the 43mm, 10mm thick, 22mm lug width, 30m water resistance curved cushion case. The curved stainless steel case exhibits a radiant brushed oval top surrounded by a beveled polished surface extending to the lugs, followed by brushed sides with a polished inward bevel to the brushed solid screw down case back. The bracelet has large brushed links with dual polished stripes running down its length that nicely compliment the case, reflecting light one link at a time depending on the angle, it uses a double deployment clasp.

The dial has different but well counter balanced silver brushed hour markers. The minute markers and lumed squared hour markers sit on the chapter ring. The brushed rehaut subtly reflect the lume markers and minute markers when viewed at angles. The lume is on the weak side, will not last all night, only a few hours. The silver skeletonized, roughly brushed lumed hour and minute hands allow for relatively easy time reading from most angles. The minute hand exhibits an almost imperceptible downward curved tip to conform with the curved dial. The Bulova name is well proportioned centered right below the 12 'clock tuning fork logo.

The subdials concentric silver outer rings, whose appearance I earnestly doubted and the source of much hesitation to try on the watch, thinking it would look cartoonish or cheapen the overall looks, once on the wrist are transformed into aesthetic harmony with the rest of the dial, and case. The subdial markers, with small min and sec increment marks and one or two easily distinguishable large reference points, 30 and 60 min, 60 sec, and 6 and 12hr, in the corresponding subdial, make a quick accurate reading difficult. The chronograph consists of three subdials, 60 min and 12hr with silver polished hands that are either extremely visible or almost invisible depending on lighting, and the 60 sec.with a very visible red hand, the latter of which doubles as a running seconds subdial. The seconds subdial starts and stops when the chronograph is activated, then runs as a second hand moving two ticks in one second. The faux lock down polished screw down pushers have a sharp click but are easy to press. The push pull crown has the nice tuning fork logo on it.

With the worlds first curved chronograph movement, 8137 with 11 jewels and a 3 prong torsional quartz crystal running at 262.144 kHz conservatively rated at +/- 5 SPM, this movement should be able to perform under a minute per year, many will likely perform significantly better.

Appearance, pulling away to view it at a normal distance one readily appreciates how all the pieces flow seamlessly together, smooth, in harmony. The Curv's curvatures, the dial, crystal and case create a delightfully appealing presence viewed from any angle. Now for the other major on the wrist test, how well does it wear?. How does this unusual case design wear? Correctly sized it wear wonderfully well. The Curv comfortably hugs the wrist and keeps it in place. The deployment clasp bracelet has five full size links and two half links for adjustment, for some folks this may makes attaining a good fit a challenge. I discovered that when the bracelet is adjusted to fit loose enough so that it slips on the wrist the ends of the curved lugs will uncomfortably bite into the wrist more than a typical protruding rounded caseback, due to the sharp angles of the curved case back being flush against the wrist. Bottom line with a flush sitting case on the wrist and these types of bracelets, the question of a good fit is always dependent on individual wrist contour. I can usually find a good fit, in this case it's a great fit due to the hugging nature of the Curv. There's always the option of another bracelet or a strap. Final world, looks great on the wrist.

It took a long time for me to place this watch on my wrist, it won't take as long for the next one. There are quite a few design varieties available that can be purchased at very reasonable prices.

Its a very nice and unique watch. I tried it on and decided I would pick this for my collection. Agree that once it fits just right, super comfy and nice feel as it wraps around. I was really surprised by the fit and feel. I am just figuring out would i like the modern variants of the same series more. Great catch, enjoy.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Re: Bulova Curv 96A185

Post by PetWatch »

VCheng wrote:
PetWatch wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:37 pm This is one of those watches that I had in storage for close to three years awaiting a final decision, keep or flip. It's my secret stash. Who would do such a thing? Why? Don's ask, suffice it to say wrist time is at a premium and watches are aplenty. Recently, I finally decided to give it a try. What a pleasant surprise I was in for! I have not been so overwhelmingly surprised by a watch in a very long time, granted that expectations were low, but nonetheless. Not flawless, but what watch is, yet its unique characteristics easily overcome its shortcomings. Fit and finish is what I would expect in this price range, no surprise there. Seen as a whole is when one notices the delightfully engaging fluid design the curve creates. How it truly outshines its price point.

Its a very nice and unique watch. I tried it on and decided I would pick this for my collection. Agree that once it fits just right, super comfy and nice feel as it wraps around. I was really surprised by the fit and feel. I am just figuring out would i like the modern variants of the same series more. Great catch, enjoy.
Thanks. Agree, this is one of those watches you have to see and try on the wrist to really appreciate what it has to offer.

I'm also watching an identical model with the rose gold trim. I like the skeleton dial and exhibition case back on the new one's, not so sure of the colorways and option to change straps. I hope they keep coming out with new models.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk