We're Moving!

Click for more info.

On The Desk: Grayton Quinary

Watch and watch accessory reviews written and posted by MoT staff members.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

*Full disclosure: Grayton graciously sent me this Quinary to write about, and in no way were my opinions influenced by that.*

Grayton Watches, part of the Montrichard Group contacted us a short time ago and asked if we'd like to post about their Quinary watch.

Since we don't like to turn down an opportunity, we said "Sure! But we'd like to see one in hand first!", and they agreed and sent me the model you see here, the Grayton Quinary in the "Black Russian" colorway.

Quinary is a 40mm, NH35 powered watch with colorways that are ****-themed. The watch, reminiscent of some of the "**** time" watches by Seiko has a handsomely styled dress/sport design with some nice finishing. The dial is a rich black with applied markers alternating between silver and gold. Gold-trimmed hands that are properly sized for the dial, and a gold-trimmed date window round out the dial.

The markers and hands are nicely lumed as well, bright after initial charging and they don't dim too quickly.

Case:

As mentioned, the stainless-steel case is 40mm in diameter and is 12.8mm thick, including the sapphire coated mineral crystal. The lug width is 20mm, and the length lug-to-lug is a reasonable 47.3mm. Partially because of the slightly downward curving lugs, Quinary is comfortable on the wrist, and I believe would be for those in the IBWC (Itty Bitty Wrist Club) as well.

The case is vertical brushed and features an attractive polished, beveled edge that helps break up the slab side. A signed crown (non-screw down, but Quinary is 100m water resistant) finishes the detailing and at 6.8mm is quite nice to operate and is easy to select between date setting and time setting positions.

The screw-in case back is your standard display window fare, but with some Grayton touches. "Grayton" is emblazoned on a bridge that crosses the window, and on this review unit, Grayton engraved "ManOnTime" onto the rotor, an interesting customization touch!

Bracelet:

The bracelet on Quinary is solid 3-link construction with vertical brushing that matches the case, and polished edges on the center portion of the links. It tapers from 20mm to 18mm at a decent solid, signed clasp. The clasp definitely beats other brands that still use stamped steel at this price point. The links are held together with friction pins, and six are removable to help get just the right fit. The clasp has four adjustments as well, to really help dial it in. Unfortunately, while the bracelet is very good, I do have a couple of issues with it:

Firstly, quick-release spring bars would be a nice added touch. It would make swapping the bracelet so much quicker and easier. Secondly, the edge finishing on the links could be better. On the model sent to me, they feel quite sharp and rough and detract from what otherwise is an above-average bracelet.

Strap:

Quinary is also available on a leather strap, and Grayton sent one to me as well. It is a black leather strap with a Grayton "G" signed buckle, with quick-release spring bars. The strap is soft, flexible and dresses the watch up nicely. This would be the combo I'd use if I were to wear Quinary to a theater performance or more formal dinner.

Packaging:

Quinary is sent in a nice rigid box that contains a felt pouch holding the watch. Also included is a hang-tag and a warranty card. The watch is warrantied for two years from the date of purchase. The packaging is understated but classy. The felt pouch will be a nice place to keep Quinary when not in use, or while in a suitcase or overnight bag.

Final thoughts:

Grayton Quinary is a classically styled watch that would be a good pick for roaming the urban landscape or putting in time at the office. A design that is both modern, yet calls back to style from the past.

Would I buy Quinary? Maybe. I think the listed $310 list price is competitive and Grayton offers a nice package. If the bracelet sharpness issue I noted above is an anomaly or can be easily corrected, and if Grayton includes the rotor customization (there is no mention of it on their website), then the price is at a sweet spot for a watch with these specs.

Thank you Grayton Watches for letting me take a look, and thank you for reading.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
pdsf
MoT Member

Re: On The Desk: Grayton Quinary

Post by pdsf »

Thank you @ManOnTime for a great review. Did you come up with “IBWC (Itty Bitty Wrist Club)”?? 😆
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Nice write-up, Matt. I normally like watches better on bracelet but I think this one really shines on the black strap. That felt travel case is a nice touch too.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

pdsf wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:08 am Thank you @ManOnTime for a great review. Did you come up with “IBWC (Itty Bitty Wrist Club)”?? 😆
I believe that honor goes to @Miggyd87 from a Discord chat.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

recapt wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:29 am Nice write-up, Matt. I normally like watches better on bracelet but I think this one really shines on the black strap. That felt travel case is a nice touch too.
I agree! The bracelet is nice, but the strap really classes it up.

The felt case is quite a nice touch, it has a hook-and-loop closure as well, so little risk of the watch sliding out.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

ManOnTime wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:53 am
pdsf wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:08 am Thank you @ManOnTime for a great review. Did you come up with “IBWC (Itty Bitty Wrist Club)”?? 😆
I believe that honor goes to @Miggyd87 from a Discord chat.
That honor actually goes to Jeni Elle on YouTube. She calls it IBWC (itty bitty wrist committee)

I am just a member of said club/committee

The champagne would be my color of choice. Very distinct and different than most color combinations.