We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Quick Look: Formex Reef

Watch and watch accessory reviews written and posted by MoT staff members.
MoT
Site Admin

Quick Look: Formex Reef

Post by MoT »

Markus from Formex, the Biel/Bienne based independent watch manufacturer was kind enough to send me a prototype example of their "Reef" dive watch now available for pre-order, for a quick look.

Reef is a 300m rated dive watch housing a Swiss Made Sellita SW300-1 with COSC certification. Four different dial colors and four different bezel covers give the customer a large set of potential combinations, and Reef comes on a rubber strap or an optional stainless steel bracelet.

The build quality of Reef is impressive. It is solid without being hefty, and chunky without being grossly oversized. The case profile belies the overall height of the watch and makes it appear slimmer than it is. It is listed as 11.4mm tall, but does not feel like it.

I love symmetry, and Reef fulfills that love. The case is perfectly symmetrical, slightly protruding opposite of the crown in a manner that matches the crown and crown guards. It is a nice touch that doesn't add any overall width to the watch. The dial is symmetrical as well, with the appropriate date placement at 6:00 leading the way. A color-matched date wheel is a nice touch, and definitely something all manufacturers should do.

The dial is quite nice to look at; an inky black with well placed and shaped applied markers. If I have one quibble, it is that I feel the hour hand is a bit stubby. BGW9 lume is well applied and is bright. It lasts, too. I was easily able to read the time in the wee hours of the morning. The ceramic bezel is nice, however, in this colorway, I found it quite tough to read at a quick glance.

Let me talk about the bracelet. It is fully articulated, has screwed links, and a stainless steel clasp with patented Micro-Adjustment System that makes finding the right fit quick and easy.

The showstopper, however, is Formex's crazy-cool Quick-Release System. Markus encouraged me to try Reef on different straps just to see how easy the changes are, and he was not kidding! A simple press of the button on the underside of the end links and the bracelet slides right off the case, allowing you to fit your strap of choice. This really is a brilliant bit of engineering that every bracelet should come with.

In summation, Reef is an excellent entry into the dive watch field. At first blush, the MSRP ($1,670 on strap, $1,790 on bracelet) may seem high, but when you consider the COSC certification, the overall build quality, and the innovative yet supremely comfortable bracelet, you may just realize you're getting more than what you're paying for.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody