Tips for cleaning used watches?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Tips for cleaning used watches?

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Do you guys have any tips for cleaning used watches? I have a couple used ones on the way and am wondering the best way to clean them. They're both 316L steel, one is hardlex the other is sapphire, and both have steel casebacks.The ones watch is well used and has a lot of gunk in tiny spots - Particularly the bracelet, caseback, and where the bezel meets the case on a diving watch.
I'll update with pics when I get it
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Tips for cleaning used watches?

Post by watchpalooza »

I typically remove the band, crown and movement / dial, then put the case and crown into an ultrasonic cleaner (also the bracelet if not a band). I run one cycle, then brush with a soft bristled toothbrush. While the US cleaner is running, I use a very soft makeup brush to gently remove any dust from the dial. If any grime remains on the case, around the bezel or lugs that isn‘t removed by the first two steps, I use a toothpick to scrape it off (amazingly effective). Then I dry with lint-free microfiber, let everything sit to be certain its dry, and reassemble. I check the seals and replace if necessary, or clean and apply fresh silicone. If it’s an acrylic crystal then I usually polish out any scratches before reassembling.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

I've started cleaning it up now, decided to go with dish soap and warm water. I took apart most of the bracelet and cannot believe how dirty it was. Here are some pics before cleaning (warning graphic content):

ImageImageImageImage
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Here's the progress so far. I used a soft bristle toothbrush, toothpicks, cotton swabs and paper towel. The toothbrush works wonders on the large surfaces. I used the toothpicks for every groove on the bezel and the crown. I used the cotton swabs on the bezel insert and crystal. I don't think I'll bother taking the caseback off or bezel off since I'd rather practice on a much cheaper watch first.
ImageImageImageImage
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Glad the seals held...often for used watches you cannit be sure.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

watchpalooza wrote:Glad the seals held...often for used watches you cannit be sure.
Yeah I was fairly confident it would be okay, since it's not too old. I took it slowly but it sat submerged for ~40 minutes and is fine. And my thought process was that since it's quartz, I could in theory buy a new movement for X amount of money and labor vs XX amount of money for the automatic version. Good to know I can actually swim with it now
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Here's the final result. I am quite happy how well it turned out. Took about 3 hours
ImageImageImageImageImage