We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Share your Diver collection!

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
norsairius
MoT Member

Re: Share your Diver collection!

Post by norsairius »

Left to right: Orient Ray, Zelos Bronze Mako V2, Seiko SKX009, Citizen NY009 Fugu, Citizen “Prime”, and Steinhart Ocean 39 “Explorer” Gnomon Exclusive.

Also, my latest pickup during an overseas trip, 4th generation “J” model Seiko Monster:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

norsairius wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:44 pm Left to right: Orient Ray, Zelos Bronze Mako V2, Seiko SKX009, Citizen NY009 Fugu, Citizen “Prime”, and Steinhart Ocean 39 “Explorer” Gnomon Exclusive.

Also, my latest pickup during an overseas trip, 4th generation “J” model Seiko Monster:

That's a super collection. How do you like the Zelos? The Hammerhead in bronze has been a bit of a grail watch for me, I love the size and aggressive looks, but they're long ago sold out and rarely come up for sale.
I love the Fugu too, that's an old favorite for me.
norsairius
MoT Member

Share your Diver collection!

Post by norsairius »

cortman wrote:
norsairius wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:44 pm Left to right: Orient Ray, Zelos Bronze Mako V2, Seiko SKX009, Citizen NY009 Fugu, Citizen “Prime”, and Steinhart Ocean 39 “Explorer” Gnomon Exclusive.

That's a super collection. How do you like the Zelos? The Hammerhead in bronze has been a bit of a grail watch for me, I love the size and aggressive looks, but they're long ago sold out and rarely come up for sale.
I love the Fugu too, that's an old favorite for me.
Thanks! The Zelos is one of my favorites and the bronze has developed a nice patina. It also easily has the best lume of any of my watches.

Elshan Tang is the one-man show running Zelos and he’s amazing to work with too! I highly recommend picking up a Zelos if you find one you like.

matthewt
Has thanked: 0

Post by matthewt »

8VthPBi6RE+MMqPrdvTQ3Q_thumb_f6f.jpg
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

matthewt wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:26 am 8VthPBi6RE+MMqPrdvTQ3Q_thumb_f6f.jpg
That's a hell of a first post!
I wish that watch were 38mm?
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Boourns wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:42 am
Agreed, welcome! Strangely, I found myself not only looking for signs of authenticity of the Subs (not that I actually have this kind of discerning eye), but the grass as well.....as though it would somehow be a bad thing to have 9 authentic Submariners sitting on fake grass or Astroturf. :?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

yinzburgher wrote:
Boourns wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:42 am
Agreed, welcome! Strangely, I found myself not only looking for signs of authenticity of the Subs (not that I actually have this kind of discerning eye), but the grass as well.....as though it would somehow be a bad thing to have 9 authentic Submariners sitting on fake grass or Astroturf. :?
And here I was going to suggest the caption ‘Beater Picnic’. I didn’t even notice the fake grass. It is a cool picture, but if this is the diver collection of 1 person, then that is impressive, though they may think about branching out a bit[emoji6]
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Wow nice lineup, tell us a bit about them? I don't know much about Rolex much less vintage Rolex.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

OK so depending on your definition, only one of these is a true diver:

Bonus lume:

Divers I have once owned and have moved on from:

cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Boourns wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:26 pm OK so depending on your definition, only one of these is a true diver:

Bonus lume:

That's a great lineup, but I'm even more interested in the ones that are gone but not forgotten, as I've considered purchasing all of them! Mind saying what you liked or disliked and what caused you to move them on?
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

I have a lot of divers for someone with small wrists who spends as little time as possible in water. They're the best mod platform though. From left to right:
  • Seiko SNZH53 modded with a STO dial and 3D printed bezel insert. Originally intended to have minute markers on the bezel, but my ability to fill in the voids with paint was lacking. Flipped it over for a sterile bezel, trading form for function.
  • Seiko SNZH55 modded with 3D printed and cast bronze bezel insert
  • Vostok Amphibia 420 case modded with new bezel and bezel insert. Also had to swap the movement at one point.
  • Zelos Helmsman Gen 1 - inner bezel is loose, making it useless for timing. Fantastic customer service from Elshan helping me diagnose the problem well outside of the warranty period
  • Vostok Amphibia Scuba Dude - The classic
  • NTH Santa Cruz - fantastically thin and comfortable, smooth bezel action, with a color combo that's hard to find
  • Seiko SRP309 Orange Monster - Unlike anything else. A chunky beast that somehow manages to be comfortable.
Divers.jpg
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

cortman wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:20 pm
Boourns wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:26 pm OK so depending on your definition, only one of these is a true diver:

Bonus lume:

That's a great lineup, but I'm even more interested in the ones that are gone but not forgotten, as I've considered purchasing all of them! Mind saying what you liked or disliked and what caused you to move them on?

The Squale and Zelos probably stand out as my faves. I got the Zelos (Mako II) on preorder for a good price. It is a great watch. Everything feels super tight and the lume is awesome. My only squibble would be that the crown was a bit small, but I think he fixed that on the latest release.

The Casio was the first diver I ever bought. It costs $30 and is probably worth $100. The Chris Ward 300 was an opportunity purchase during their summer sale last year. I think I prefer my current Scurfa to the CW. The CW might be a little nicer (hard to remember) but it's also at least $100 more, so the Scurfa is a better value IMO. I do like that the CW comes in 38mm, which I think is a slightly better size for me.

The Squale was a watch I wanted for a very long time -- pretty much since I first saw it. So when someone on Reddit put one up for sale, I traded the CW 300 and Zelos for the Squale. (I think I had the CW for about 3 weeks). The quality of the Squale was fantastic, though it ran about 12 seconds fast per day. It's within spec for a 2824-2, but I have had other watches with that movement that were much more accurate. I sold it to fund the preorder for my current Zelos, the Horizons GMT. If I had the funds, I would have kept the Squale. It may be my favorite diver in terms of esthetics of all time.

The answer to why I moved on from just about all of them is that's kinda what I do. :lol: I have really enjoyed just trying out different watches, though I have slowed down flipping somewhat in the past 6 months. I almost always buy used (or on sale/pre-order discount), so I can minimize my losses.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Boourns wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:37 am
cortman wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:20 pm

Bonus lume:

The Squale and Zelos probably stand out as my faves. I got the Zelos (Mako II) on preorder for a good price. It is a great watch. Everything feels super tight and the lume is awesome. My only squibble would be that the crown was a bit small, but I think he fixed that on the latest release.

The Casio was the first diver I ever bought. It costs $30 and is probably worth $100. The Chris Ward 300 was an opportunity purchase during their summer sale last year. I think I prefer my current Scurfa to the CW. The CW might be a little nicer (hard to remember) but it's also at least $100 more, so the Scurfa is a better value IMO. I do like that the CW comes in 38mm, which I think is a slightly better size for me.

The Squale was a watch I wanted for a very long time -- pretty much since I first saw it. So when someone on Reddit put one up for sale, I traded the CW 300 and Zelos for the Squale. (I think I had the CW for about 3 weeks). The quality of the Squale was fantastic, though it ran about 12 seconds fast per day. It's within spec for a 2824-2, but I have had other watches with that movement that were much more accurate. I sold it to fund the preorder for my current Zelos, the Horizons GMT. If I had the funds, I would have kept the Squale. It may be my favorite diver in terms of esthetics of all time.

The answer to why I moved on from just about all of them is that's kinda what I do. :lol: I have really enjoyed just trying out different watches, though I have slowed down flipping somewhat in the past 6 months. I almost always buy used (or on sale/pre-order discount), so I can minimize my losses.
That's interesting to hear. That Squale case shape and colorway has always been quite a looker to me. It's a pricier diver though so I'm not sure if I'll ever like it enough to bite.
Zelos keeps coming up, I almost went for the Swordfish pre-order but didn't at the last minute.
I hear you on flipping. If you are careful about what you buy and watch for a good price you can enjoy quite a range without a ton of actually loss.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Sussa wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:31 am I have a lot of divers for someone with small wrists who spends as little time as possible in water. They're the best mod platform though. From left to right:
  • Seiko SNZH53 modded with a STO dial and 3D printed bezel insert. Originally intended to have minute markers on the bezel, but my ability to fill in the voids with paint was lacking. Flipped it over for a sterile bezel, trading form for function.
  • Seiko SNZH55 modded with 3D printed and cast bronze bezel insert
  • Vostok Amphibia 420 case modded with new bezel and bezel insert. Also had to swap the movement at one point.
  • Zelos Helmsman Gen 1 - inner bezel is loose, making it useless for timing. Fantastic customer service from Elshan helping me diagnose the problem well outside of the warranty period
  • Vostok Amphibia Scuba Dude - The classic
  • NTH Santa Cruz - fantastically thin and comfortable, smooth bezel action, with a color combo that's hard to find
  • Seiko SRP309 Orange Monster - Unlike anything else. A chunky beast that somehow manages to be comfortable.
Divers.jpg
That's a unique collection. Tell me more about that bronze bezel!
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

cortman wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:53 pmThat's a unique collection. Tell me more about that bronze bezel!
I wanted to try out a bronze watch, but the only one on the market that spoke to me was the Helmsman, which I was not so patiently searching for. In the meantime, I decided to make it myself. Picked up the SNZH55 for its mod-ability and price and went to work. I removed the bezel and bezel insert and measured the insert with digital calipers for precision. I used Adobe Illustrator to design the 2D model, then SketchUp to make the 3D version. Shapeways.com handled the printing. They 3D printed the model in castable wax, then poured the bronze (90% copper, 10% tin) version using lost wax casting. It was a perfect fit. All oxidation you see is natural.

I used Shapeways again for printing the SNZH53 bezel insert with Multi Jet Fusion nylon plastic infused with glass beads. I would have preferred a metal, but choice of materials is limited because of the thinness of the model.