We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Islander Dive Watch from Long Island Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

The Islander Dive Watch from Long Island Watch

Post by yinzburgher »

Marc Frankel, the owner of Long Island Watch, has announced that he is launching his own brand starting with today's introduction of the Islander Dive Watch. The new watch is basically a Seiko SKX007 (which has now been discontinued by Seiko) with what he sees as all the improvements that most consumers have wanted and asked for over the years. The watch is currently available with either a dive time bezel or a 12 hour bezel and he reports that more variations will be coming in the future. The price on the site is $299. Link below.

CHECK OUT THE NEW ISLANDER WATCH HERE

LONG ISLAND WATCH ON INSTAGRAM

LONG ISLAND WATCH ON FACEBOOK

Islander watches are developed by Island Watch to offer a you a greater value than many of the comparative options available in the marketplace. The first watch in the series is the Islander dive watch. It has a familiar diver look and form, but it has a number of upgrades that increase its value and performance.

The Islander comes with an NH36, 24-jewel automatic movement (hand winds, hacks), a black dial with luminous hours and hands, a ceramic bezel insert with SuperLuminova markings, a domed anti-reflective sapphire crystal, a solid link-solid end link bracelet with screws for size adjustments, and a push-button deployant clasp.

Additional watches are in development so more models will be coming in the future. So, stay tuned for more Islander models.

Details and Specifications
SII NH36 Movement with day and date
43mm x 14mm x 46mm
Solid screw back, etched
Flat sapphire, blue AR underside
Bracelet with solid end links, solid links, screw-type size adjustment
Flip-lock deployant with 3 position micro adjust
Water Resistant to 200 Meters
120 click bezel, Dual Time
Superluminova C3 Luminous ceramic insert
Drilled end lugs
C3 superluminova
1 yr warranty

MoT
Site Admin

Re: The Islander Dive Watch from Long Island Watch

Post by MoT »

Looks pretty dang good.

Deep Blue's Nato Diver is very comparable and comes in much cheaper after the perpetual 40% off discounts.

I hope LIW does well, it's always good to have another player in the market.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BruceR
MoT Member

Post by BruceR »

Seems like a lot of watch for the money, particularly the bracelet (solid links, screws, micro adjustments). And I like drilled lugs.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Agree with all of the above. While LIW is generally well-known and thought of as a very reputable dealer, their prices are rarely the best available. However I think this price-point brings a lot of value based on the upgraded features and specifications. I might consider one for myself at some point. If you have never purchased from LIW before, you can sign up for the newsletter at the link below to get 5% off your first purchase, dropping the price of this to $284.05.

cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

These have good looks. I could wish they were a little different from the SKX, especially in the handset. I feel that could have been improved to push these a little bit beyond obvious SKX homage, but the specs are excellent for the money and the overall appearance is quite good.
I doubt I'll ever buy one, but I wouldn't feel bad about recommending one to someone.
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Looks like Marc, Tisell and Heimdallr have a lot of the same sources for their watches.

Nice drilled lugs, day date and Sapphire.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. This is literally just the Heimdallr/Sharkey skx with the long island logo. Like it's 1:1 identical but costs more.

Edit- I guess drilled lugs is new but I think Heimdallr added that to theirs recently

Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Yankeexpress
MoT Member

Post by Yankeexpress »

ordered the Heimdallr SKX for $149 delivered, basically the same watch, maybe the same factory, NH36, sapphire, ceramic and a choice of colors.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Marc from LIW put out a short video today touching on some future plans. He says there will be a 38mm diver (SKX013 case, I imagine) in both black and pepsi varieties available mid to late October. There should also be an aviator/flieger/pilot watch coming before the end of 2019.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

LIW now has the mid-size 38mm Islander Diver for sale on their website for $299. The case appears to be the same as the Seiko SKX013/SKX015.

Black dial and bezel #ISL-05

Blue dial and Pepsi bezel #ISL-06

deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

The Heimdallr homage, as far as I'm aware, doesn't fully lume the entire bezel insert as the Islander does. Only the pip. That quibble aside I do agree it's "essentially" the same spec on paper as the Islander.

That being said, it's always the details and execution that matter, and absent anyone directly comparing the two, it's a bit presumptuous to assume they're the "same" watch (in my opinion.) And then there's the matter of service before/after the sale ... would they really be comparable?

I did my one "online assessment" of the Deep Blue Nato last year but basically wrote it off (as a direct competitor to the SKX, and now the Islander) for two reasons.

For one, it's larger and for many of us the SKX's 42mm is already "big enough." The other is that the Nato's dials always seem to have a heavy sheen about them in photos that just says, "Hey! I'm aluminum, you knew that, right? ALUMINUM."

I like competition and choice, and as a practical matter all 3 watches likely represent just that, especially if you want something like a less-common dial color.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Long Island Watch has now added orange and yellow dial variants to the line-up.

LINK TO THE FULL LINE-UP OF ISLANDER WATCHES

cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

deckeda wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:27 am The Heimdallr homage, as far as I'm aware, doesn't fully lume the entire bezel insert as the Islander does. Only the pip. That quibble aside I do agree it's "essentially" the same spec on paper as the Islander.

That being said, it's always the details and execution that matter, and absent anyone directly comparing the two, it's a bit presumptuous to assume they're the "same" watch (in my opinion.) And then there's the matter of service before/after the sale ... would they really be comparable?

I did my one "online assessment" of the Deep Blue Nato last year but basically wrote it off (as a direct competitor to the SKX, and now the Islander) for two reasons.

For one, it's larger and for many of us the SKX's 42mm is already "big enough." The other is that the Nato's dials always seem to have a heavy sheen about them in photos that just says, "Hey! I'm aluminum, you knew that, right? ALUMINUM."

I like competition and choice, and as a practical matter all 3 watches likely represent just that, especially if you want something like a less-common dial color.
Really the source of the parts, while important, is almost less so than the QC that a particular brand performs. That's where an Islander may well be worth more than a Heimdallr.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Blue and white dial Islander watches have been added to the line-up. Marc mentions in the video that this is the last of the SKX-style variants to be introduced for the time being. The next announcement will introduce a new style of watch. I think both of these look good but I almost always prefer that the hands completely match the indices.

LINK TO THE WHOLE LINE-UP

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

The blue/white one is HOT. :shock:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody