We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Best place for Seiko movement replacement?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
cel4145
MoT Member

Best place for Seiko movement replacement?

Post by cel4145 »

I've got a Seiko SRP313 that has a bad movement. I'm not handy enough myself with this kind of thing, and my one reliable watchmaker where I live has retired. Anyone have a recommendation for somewhere inexpensive to do the job online?

The crystal also has a tiny scratch in it. So if it's a Seiko modder repair service that could put a domed sapphire crystal in it, that would be a plus.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: Best place for Seiko movement replacement?

Post by Dub Rubb »

I wish I had a little more faith in myself. Modding my own watches is one thing, but I don't trust myself with someone else's.

That being said, Seiko movements are VERY forgiving. You say your not handy with mods, but really, the ONLY tricky part about this swap is the seconds hand. I would be more than happy to help walk you through it if you decide to DIY. It really isn't as hard as you think. I am ham fisted AF and have done it a few times without any catastrophic failure.

If you have any disposable watches to practice setting seconds hands, I would suggest that. If not, I can send you one of the ones I practiced with. An NH36 is like $35, so it may be worth a shot!

Last resort, I know a guy or 2 from the BSHT thread that could tackle it, but there will be some wait time.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Dub Rubb wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:19 am I wish I had a little more faith in myself. Modding my own watches is one thing, but I don't trust myself with someone else's.

That being said, Seiko movements are VERY forgiving. You say your not handy with mods, but really, the ONLY tricky part about this swap is the seconds hand. I would be more than happy to help walk you through it if you decide to DIY. It really isn't as hard as you think. I am ham fisted AF and have done it a few times without any catastrophic failure.

If you have any disposable watches to practice setting seconds hands, I would suggest that. If not, I can send you one of the ones I practiced with. An NH36 is like $35, so it may be worth a shot!

Last resort, I know a guy or 2 from the BSHT thread that could tackle it, but there will be some wait time.
I have a torn ligament in my right hand that the orthopedic surgeon told me not to have surgery on (and when they tell you that, you don't get the surgery because they like to do surgery--lol). So not great fine motor control any more in my dominant hand.

I know the NH36 is cheap. But I think it only comes with a white date wheel, and the Dracula Monster needs black. Doesn't that make it more complicated to change the date wheel, too?
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

cel4145 wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:19 am I wish I had a little more faith in myself. Modding my own watches is one thing, but I don't trust myself with someone else's.

I have a torn ligament in my right hand that the orthopedic surgeon told me not to have surgery on (and when they tell you that, you don't get the surgery because they like to do surgery--lol). So not great fine motor control any more in my dominant hand.

I know the NH36 is cheap. But I think it only comes with a white date wheel, and the Dracula Monster needs black. Doesn't that make it more complicated to change the date wheel, too?
Definitely makes it more complicated, but only slightly since you already have those parts in tour watch now. What exactly is wrong with the movement?(runs fast/slow, doesn't run etc.)

cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Dub Rubb wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:42 am
cel4145 wrote:

Definitely makes it more complicated, but only slightly since you already have those parts in tour watch now. What exactly is wrong with the movement?(runs fast/slow, doesn't run etc.)

It's a used watch that I picked up locally a few years ago, and the movement is completely erratic. Tried degaussing it, but that didn't help.
jcombs1
MoT Member

Post by jcombs1 »

Try a Duarte at Northeast Watch Works.

http://www.newatchworks.com/

He does good work is reasonably priced and communication is good.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

jcombs1 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:24 am Try a Duarte at Northeast Watch Works.

http://www.newatchworks.com/

He does good work is reasonably priced and communication is good.
Thanks!