As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

2019 Watch Mod of the Year

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sussa
MoT Member

Re: 2019 Watch Mod of the Year

Post by Sussa »

@sporkboy It's incredible that you've come up with so many unique designs for your YPA mods. You've inspired me to try waterslide decals in the near future. Do you think they could be applied to a crystal (underneath, inside the case) or would that distort legibility too much?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Sussa wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:34 am @sporkboy It's incredible that you've come up with so many unique designs for your YPA mods. You've inspired me to try waterslide decals in the near future. Do you think they could be applied to a crystal (underneath, inside the case) or would that distort legibility too much?
@Sussa
Thank you, it has been a ride and a quick progression of projects, I will pull out the original one shortly.

It is possible to apply to glass, but my quick test with the clear decals on hand was not satisfactory, I will post pictures in a bit, but it looks like these decals will always leave a sort of film where it is clear. There may be workarounds, but I haven't gotten there yet. There are some really good instructions on the application of decals at https://www.jonbius.com/2018/07/20/basi ... de-decals/
I wish I would have read that first.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I went through all of my pictures and there are a lot of mods. I may do a best of since there are a lot of them.

Caseback Painting- Amphibia and Timex Expedition
G-Shock NATO Adapters
MoT Watches
-HMT Janata
-8926 (full lume green, full lume blue, full lume 4:1 blue, black dial/green lume)
-Amphibia
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

G-Shock to 22mm NATO Adapters
March 2019
IMG_6657.jpg
IMG_6654.jpg
IMG_6694.jpg
IMG_6781.jpg
These were 3D printed and heavily modified from an original that I found on Thingiverse that kind of worked, but was very clunky. I slimmed everything down and revealed the adapter inside.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

I am envious of each of these mods. Maybe envy isn’t the correct word, but you catch my drift. Perhaps one of my New Years resolutions should be to finally try something with the Invicta I have been sitting on for a year.

These post have been great motivation!
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Dub,

I have to give commendations on the Alpha Exlorer I, I have never seen a safety pin used as a min. hand. The more I think about these mods as experimentation, creative self expression and improvements on an original, the more appealing modding becomes to me.

I have to say about the SARB, you hit it out of the ball park, elevated it to a whole other level. Awesome!

Sporkboy,

I really like your commemorative watch. Great design and layout. Absolutely awesome looker! As for the MoT watch (s), they are destined to become forum classics. Well done!

It was your thread about the creation of these MoT watches, with your appeal and receptivity to input from others as you took us through the modding process, that for the first time piqued my interest in modding. Thank you.

We've seen some great mods, hope to see some more. I'm not sure how the modding community see's it, I think the most important thing about modding is that the mod look great to the modder, keeping in consideration that people mod for various reasons.
Last edited by PetWatch on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I don’t know about everyone else, but I am looking to make something that is a little more personal visually, allow myself a platform for learning some skill or customizing the functionality to suit my own needs.

For me, my set of current watches is approaching a very happy place with regards to what I enjoy and wear. Modding watches is a way for me to continue to grow. I also like tinkering with things.

The dials are coming soon, I promise. With the YPA watches the dial luming, decal and sealing processes are coming together. I have to prep a lot of dials though. That any of the MoT watches and dials become part of this community is amazing and I am touched and honored each time I see a wrist shot.

I definitely have more mods to post, so you have those to look forward to.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

2019 Watch Mod of the Year

Post by Sporkboy »

September 2019
MOT Watch Full Green Lume with Black Dial
Dial Style- MoT_02IA_r19
Invicta 8926 Case
Murphy Mfg. Bezel
Stock Hands/Matching Lume
IMG_9949.jpg
IMG_9755.jpg
For me, this is my favorite mod I've done this year. There has been a solid evolution of the design, and I've taken it to a place where it makes me happy. There is a wait list for others to get this particular dial design with slightly different lume, so I must have done something right. It's easy to read with chunky indices and numerals. I really need to get some new handsets in for this watch though as it deserves better. I am excited to see what people do with the dial once I get it out there.

If I had a contender for mod of the year, I think it would be this one. It was a team effort and there are a lot of hands in the design pot here. I am always open to thoughts on any of my designs, and they have generated some really great ideas. From kerning suggestions to how to give myself credit, you guys haven't held back and the design is all the better for it.
Last edited by Sporkboy on Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:17 am September 2019
MOT Watch Full Green Lume
Dial Style- MoT_02IA_r19
Invicta 8926 Case
Murphy Mfg. Bezel
Stock Hands/Matching Lume

IMG_9949.jpg

IMG_9755.jpg

For me, this is my favorite mod I've done this year. There has been a solid evolution of the design, and I've taken it to a place where it makes me happy. There is a wait list for others to get this particular dial design with slightly different lume, so I must have done something right. It's easy to read with chunky indices and numerals. I really need to get some new handsets in for this watch though as it deserves better. I am excited to see what people do with the dial once I get it out there.

If I had a contender for mod of the year, I think it would be this one. It was a team effort and there are a lot of hands in the design pot here. I am always open to thoughts on any of my designs, and they have generated some really great ideas. From kerning suggestions to how to give myself credit, you guys haven't held back and the design is all the better for it.
I may be a bit biased, but this one is my absolute favorite.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Yellow Pie Antiques 25 Years Commemorative Watch )1 of 4 unique watches #4. Did I totally forget to post #3? Anyway, here's number 4.
Vintage Vostok Amphibia.
IMG_0654.jpg
IMG_0655.jpg
IMG_0678.jpg
IMG_0650.jpg
I did make a bit of a mess of the 25 minute marker, but I ran out of time. I printed it yellow and with the blue background it came out orange, so I covered it with some yellow paint. Not proud of that bit, but I guess it proves that I did it. Had the yellow been better, this may have been my favorite. I think it came out well.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Well here is my latest mod of 2019. This watch was up for sale for about 2 months and I recieved only trade offers. Once I had a dial on order, the wheels started turning and I pulled the listing. Here are the specs and modifications:

-Donor watch was a Save The Ocean Samurai

-Black PVD turtle bezel from Namoki mods(fits on samurai)

-Stainless Steel bezel insert from Namoki

-hand set from Namoki

-Turtle chapter ring from you guessed it, Namoki. This was not a direct fit. Had to file down the feet and use dial dots

-BSH Mariana no date dial with Seiko 3:00 feet. This also did not fit and I had to sand down the dial edge about 1/2mm or so for it to fit in the case. Unexpected and frustrating, but made it work.

-Beads of rice bracelet from Uncle Seiko

While there were some speed bumps, I am loving how it turned out! It seems not many people are modding Samurais aside from bezel swaps, since all of my questions went unanswered and I had to just test the waters myself.

Before and after
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Forgot to add that the Sammy has a modded bi-directional friction bezel(aka I forgot to put the click spring back in). It actually has the perfect amount of tension, and can't be bumped out of position without really trying, so I am keeping it this way!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Last mod of the year for me. I made this based on previous dial designs. It came together quickly. It was given away in the annual holiday yankee swap event. The person that opened it tucked it away and the. Put it on so that people wouldn’t see it laying in her lap. The new owner is proudly wearing it today.
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

Elevated Scout on Red Wing Leather
ImageElevated Scout by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageElevated Scout by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen:
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

A few days left for any last minute entries and votes. Will tally vote count Sunday at 9pm PST or soon thereafter.

We have seen some great mods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk