We're Moving!

Click for more info.

2020 New and Upcoming Releases!

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
pdsf
MoT Member

Re: 2020 New and Upcoming Releases!

Post by pdsf »

Boourns wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:23 pm
pdsf wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:18 pm
pdsf wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 am Guinand recently posted this on this website:

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 11.53.49 AM.png

It's one of my favourite brands...and I have been looking to get a GMT (I think that's what it looks like). Can't wait!
This has been revealed. It's not a GMT! But pointer date with an interesting complication:

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 2.13.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 2.14.24 PM.png

The L2L of 51mm makes it too big for me. Phew! :)
That's really cool. I like the design a lot. The 51 L2L is also good for my bank account.
Exactly. That's why I enjoy being around big and/or ugly watches. Hmmm, maybe that should be my signature..
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Now some more Citizen Promaster "Fugu" releases for Asian markets. These have been upsized from 42mm to 44mm and upgraded from a mineral to sapphire glass. They also have a different strap and a 120-click bezel rather than 60. The retail price is HK$2,880 with the exception of the full lume dial variant, which is limited to 2000 pieces with a price of HK$3,380.

LINK TO THE CITIZEN PRESS RELEASE

LINK TO THE CITIZEN PRODUCT PAGES

NY0110-13E above

NY0118-11A above

NY0111-11E above

NY0119-19X above

Details and Specifications
Brand and model: Citizen Promaster NY011
Diameter: 44mm
Thickness: 13.1mm
Weight: 106 grams
Water resistance: Diver's 200m with screw-down crown
Movement: Automatic self-winding
Caliber: Miyota 8203
Power reserve: 40 hours
Accuracy: +/- 20 seconds per day
Crystal: Sapphire glass
Features: Day, date, unidirectional rotating bezel, luminous hands and indices, ISO 6425 compliance
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

I attended a virtual independent brand summit hosted by Oak & Oscar on Friday. I was pretty excited to hear from the owners of Lorier (Lauren & Lorenzo) that they have plans to release a GMT, possibly before the end of the year. I can’t wait to see what they come up with.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

yinzburgher wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:22 am Now some more Citizen Promaster "Fugu" releases for Asian markets. These have been upsized from 42mm to 44mm and upgraded from a mineral to sapphire glass. They also have a different strap and a 120-click bezel rather than 60. The retail price is HK$2,880 with the exception of the full lume dial variant, which is limited to 2000 pieces with a price of HK$3,380.

NY0110-13E above

NY0118-11A above

NY0111-11E above

NY0119-19X above

Features: Day, date, unidirectional rotating bezel, luminous hands and indices, ISO 6425 compliance
As the world's biggest fan of the Fugu (verified), this is utterly baffling. Upsizing this goes against all industry trends and is going to make this watch wear rather awkwardly. At 42 it wore small-ish and so well. Sapphire is a welcome upgrade, but still an 8 series Miyota? Also the 60 click bezel was the best!
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

cortman wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:11 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:22 am Now some more Citizen Promaster "Fugu" releases for Asian markets. These have been upsized from 42mm to 44mm and upgraded from a mineral to sapphire glass. They also have a different strap and a 120-click bezel rather than 60. The retail price is HK$2,880 with the exception of the full lume dial variant, which is limited to 2000 pieces with a price of HK$3,380.

NY0110-13E above

NY0118-11A above

NY0111-11E above

NY0119-19X above

As the world's biggest fan of the Fugu (verified), this is utterly baffling. Upsizing this goes against all industry trends and is going to make this watch wear rather awkwardly. At 42 it wore small-ish and so well. Sapphire is a welcome upgrade, but still an 8 series Miyota? Also the 60 click bezel was the best!
My beef is 82xx movement. For WIS sake, it wouldn't cost that much more to put a 9xxx in it.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

ManOnTime wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:17 pm
cortman wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:11 pm

NY0110-13E above

NY0118-11A above

NY0111-11E above

NY0119-19X above

My beef is 82xx movement. For WIS sake, it wouldn't cost that much more to put a 9xxx in it.
Couldn't agree more. Give me hacking or give me death. And we all know how I feel about large diameter cases.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
nicegator
MoT Member

Post by nicegator »

tsteph12
MoT Member

Post by tsteph12 »

I’ve read the newer Miyota 82xx movements have hacking function. Could potentially email dealer selling or Citizen directly to verify.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I'd like to offer a different take on the new Fugus. My view is probably less popular, less common, and more contrarian here. I imagine it'll go over like a lead balloon. :| But I also think my perspective might be held by some others that are less likely to express it here. For starters I should say that I also love the Citizen Fugu. I own and wear two (that I'll admit to :roll: ). Even though Seiko is by far my favorite brand when it comes to divers, my favorite diver is definitely my Promaster.

For the most part, my opinions on any given watch normally aren't far from many others here. But here is where my opinions will differ from most on the new Fugu. I basically see this new release as a positive development only. First of all, if you already have a Fugu, nothing changes. You can continue to enjoy your watch. And if you'd like to own a 42mm Fugu, same.....nothing changes. You can still buy one. In addition to the few variants produced over the course of a couple decades, you now have over a dozen new 42mm variants to choose from that have been introduced in the past two years. With the exception of some limited models, they are widely available for purchase. And there is no indication that production of 42mm models will stop. Likely, base on their success, there will be even more varieties in the coming years. Nothing is being taken away here. The only thing that does change is more more variety is being introduced with regard to size. So those people that maybe felt the Fugu was too small for them now have a larger 44mm option. Some of these people will have tree trunk wrists and some of them just prefer a huge watch on their tiny wrist. It's OK. My preference for most divers is a 40mm to 42mm range. But there is absolutely no shortage of WIS that like much bigger dive watches (43mm and up). If you're in doubt, check out a thread like THIS ONE. And as you might know, the Fugu visually appears slightly smaller than it's dimensions due to the slightly smaller bezel in comparison to the case and smaller insert in comparison to the bezel. So a 44mm watch with this style may very well be a preferred size for some. To keep in proportion the thickness has increased by half a mm and likely the lug width has increased slightly too. The takeaway here: even more people get to enjoy this watch. I don't see this as a bad thing.

Some will be turned off by the sapphire as it brings an added cost but I imagine most will welcome the trade-off. As for the softer strap, I think most will prefer it and I doubt it comes with a huge price increase. I don't have strong opinion regarding the 60 vs 120 click bezel. I would think more precision would be considered preferable as they mention in the press release, but I can understand the opposite preference too. The merits and flaws of the Miyota 8200 movements have been discussed and debated ad nauseum for years. I'm not under the impression that I'll change anybody's mind about them here. Some don't like the lack of hacking, low beat rate, indirectly driven second hand, rotor noise, etc. But the one thing I'm pretty damn sure of is that the day these things get upgraded to a 9000 series movement is the day that Citizen no longer considers these entry level dive watches and the price shoots way up in accordance. And that will trigger a whole new set of complaints (especially from the people that see the sticker price and think or pretend that it's the price everyone will actually pay). If you buy the movements on StarTime Supply there is only a $55 difference but I can promise you that Citizen will increase the price waaaayyyy more than that. The 8203 is reliable, serviceable, plentiful, and inexpensive. For those that need to coordinate military maneuvers or otherwise prefer hacking, it can be back-hacked. It is possible that the movements that come in these will be hacking as mentioned above. I would prefer this option to a 9000 series upgrade, and so would Citizen, as they could sell many more. But it's not particular likely as the listed power reserve is 40 hours rather than the 60 hours that come with the newer hacking version of the movement. The newer hacking movements would be a nice change but as I mentioned before, nothing is being taken away here.

I definitely won't be buying one of these.....they're too big for me. But Citizen will have no problem selling them. It's just one more option from which to choose, which I have trouble seeing as a bad thing. Unfortunately with watch forums, there's a tendency to focus on all the ways that a watch isn't perfect. And while these seem to be viewed negatively here (even with the "upgrades"), I can only imagine it will be worse when I post them over at WUS in the Promaster NY0040 thread. They're gonna hate it lol. Luckily there is always more brands and models and styles and new releases to choose from.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Thanks for sharing, [mention]yinzburgher[/mention]. I appreciate the different point of view, and it makes sense to me. As I got older I have realized that I can be inflexible in my thinking at times, so, any opportunities to shake things up and help me see a broader picture is always appreciated.
tsteph12
MoT Member

Post by tsteph12 »

I sent messages to two different sellers on EBay in Hong Kong asking to please clarify as to whether or not these new Fugu Promaster watches have hacking seconds. I’ll report back when and if they reply.
tsteph12
MoT Member

Post by tsteph12 »

Ebay seller (IVSHC) just replied. Said he checked and the new Fugu 44mm does NOT have hacking seconds function. Bummer.
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Saw this on Worn & Wound, so thought I’d share. Yema is releasing two new models: a pilot and a diver. I like them both, but being especially fond of the Oris 65 I’m a big fan of the Superman 63. Specs and prices below.

https://wornandwound.com/two-new-watche ... al-design/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Rabirnie wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:41 pm Saw this on Worn & Wound, so thought I’d share. Yema is releasing two new models: a pilot and a diver. I like them both, but being especially fond of the Oris 65 I’m a big fan of the Superman 63. Specs and prices below.

That pilot.
OH MY.
😳
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

TheJohnP wrote:
Rabirnie wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:41 pm Saw this on Worn & Wound, so thought I’d share. Yema is releasing two new models: a pilot and a diver. I like them both, but being especially fond of the Oris 65 I’m a big fan of the Superman 63. Specs and prices below.

That pilot.
OH MY.
[emoji15]
I know. Feel like they knocked both out of the park. Love that the pilot is more a mix-mash of pilot and tool watch features. Really makes it stand out from the crowd.