We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

2020 is a Leap Year. Leap Years are quirky, weird and don't come around very often. In recognition of this I'd like to set a challenge.

During the month of February, those who join in with this challenge are to find and purchase a used watch, however, in recognition to the 29 days of February 2020 the watch must be special, weird, quirky or interesting. It's up to you to determine if you think it fits that category.

The rules:
  • The watch should cost no more than US$29, GBP£22, CAD$38, EUR€29, or equivalent (ok, a few extra cents/pence here and there is no issue).
    The watch should be for you, a friend or a loved one to actually own and use.
    The watch should be in a useable condition (it's ok if you need to stick a new strap on it or similar).
    The watch must be used.
    The watch must be purchased within the month of February.
    The watch must be presented to the forum on this page from the 1st March 2020, with the watch in use and the reason why it's special, weird, quirky or interesting.
    All competitors must be "signed up" by the 1st Feb.
    The other competitors collectively determine who "won" the challenge.
I hope that you'll join me in this bit of fun.

Please add your name to the list below:

1. Animal Mother
MoT
Site Admin

Re: The Leap Year Watch Challenge

Post by MoT »

I'm in.

2. ManOnTime
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I hate you...I am in also 😫
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

1. Animal Mother
2. ManOnTime
3. watchpalooza
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

You know I am in for this.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

1. Animal Mother
2. ManOnTime
3. watchpalooza
4. Sporkboy
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

For $30, I'm in.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

1. Animal Mother
2. ManOnTime
3. watchpalooza
4. Sporkboy
5. TheJohnP
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Funny, the rules didn’t show up for me in Tapatalk. For some reason it doesn’t like bullet points. I am still in, The idea appealed to me and regardless of the rules I just should have read them first.

Edit:
Rules clarification question. The watch should be in usable condition. Just as you would need to add power to a manual watch by winding, I am assuming that I can add a new battery to a quartz/digital watch to get it going. Is that correct?

Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:06 pm Funny, the rules didn’t show up for me in Tapatalk. For some reason it doesn’t like bullet points. I am still in, The idea appealed to me and regardless of the rules I just should have read them first.

Edit:
Rules clarification question. The watch should be in usable condition. Just as you would need to add power to a manual watch by winding, I am assuming that I can add a new battery to a quartz/digital watch to get it going. Is that correct?
Yes, that's no problem. As is adding a strap, a bit of a service, etc.
ShoreFire77
MoT Member

Post by ShoreFire77 »

I'm up for this. Hopefully the distraction of looking for a quirky £22 watch will stop me looking at watches I really shouldn't be buying!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Animal Mother wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:06 pm Funny, the rules didn’t show up for me in Tapatalk. For some reason it doesn’t like bullet points. I am still in, The idea appealed to me and regardless of the rules I just should have read them first.

Edit:
That’s great. Buying a used watch can be a crapshoot, so doing some light service is always needed. They all need cleaning.

I am curious to see everyone’s approach to this challenge. One type of watch popped into my
mind immediately, and it is within budget, but I am trying to keep an open mind. I will also be trying to find some quirky watch lots with bad/fuzzy pictures.

Did a particular watch type or specific watch pop into your mind or are you going into this blind and seeing what you find?
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:30 am
Animal Mother wrote:

Edit:
That’s great. Buying a used watch can be a crapshoot, so doing some light service is always needed. They all need cleaning.

I am curious to see everyone’s approach to this challenge. One type of watch popped into my
mind immediately, and it is within budget, but I am trying to keep an open mind. I will also be trying to find some quirky watch lots with bad/fuzzy pictures.

Did a particular watch type or specific watch pop into your mind or are you going into this blind and seeing what you find?
My first thought was a “jump hour” in line with “leap year”, but I am going less restrictive with “unusual” or “unique” and aiming for something not totally weird that I might actually wear.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:
Animal Mother wrote:

My first thought was a “jump hour” in line with “leap year”, but I am going less restrictive with “unusual” or “unique” and aiming for something not totally weird that I might actually wear.
My mind did register a jump hour as a possibility, but I do have a strong use case for the one that I am thinking about. I may hunt for a funky vintage digital, but I have a fallback option with my first thought.

One thing that I noted about the challenge is that it stipulates used and not vintage, so the field is wide open, only restricted by the price.

I do like the idea of the challenge, and would likely participate in similar challenges in the future that stated at or below this price point. I will have to think about other challenges that could be posed in the future.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:58 am
watchpalooza wrote:

My mind did register a jump hour as a possibility, but I do have a strong use case for the one that I am thinking about. I may hunt for a funky vintage digital, but I have a fallback option with my first thought.

One thing that I noted about the challenge is that it stipulates used and not vintage, so the field is wide open, only restricted by the price.

I do like the idea of the challenge, and would likely participate in similar challenges in the future that stated at or below this price point. I will have to think about other challenges that could be posed in the future.
True...not necessarily vintage. I have a few ideas that could be interesting either way. There are so many possibilities for future challenges....already thinking about these here as well. Too much fun to be had!
Click Icon To Contact Me