We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Post by yinzburgher »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:37 pm Curious as to why they would put genius in quotes. George Daniels clearly was one.
I didn't notice that at first. The writer may not be convinced. But it looks like maybe because they are quoting a Robb Report article that uses that term. Now that I look at it, that may be the better article. People have a tendency to use the term pretty loosely but I think it's pretty safe to say Daniels was a bonafide genius, no quotes.

Exclusive: One of the Most Important Modern Pocket Watches of All Time is Coming Up for Auction at Phillips
juderiverman
MoT Member

Post by juderiverman »

Pictures rule.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

The sad thing is the rolex will probably go for more than the Daniels' piece.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Breitling has already withdrawn from next year's Baselworld, at least in part due to a scheduling conflict. It is unclear if the brand will return the following year. However Rolex and Tudor have plans to pick up some of the slack.

Rolex and Tudor to take additional space at Baselworld, but Breitling confirms its withdrawal

An extensive article from Hodinkee's Joe Thompson discusses plans and speculation regarding Baselworld going forward. The article was published prior to the Breitling news being confirmed.

In-Depth: What's Next For Baselworld?
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

yinzburgher wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:46 am Breitling has already withdrawn from next year's Baselworld, at least in part due to a scheduling conflict. It is unclear if the brand will return the following year. However Rolex and Tudor have plans to pick up some of the slack.

Rolex and Tudor to take additional space at Baselworld, but Breitling confirms its withdrawal

An extensive article from Hodinkee's Joe Thompson discusses plans and speculation regarding Baselworld going forward. The article was published prior to the Breitling news being confirmed.

I suspect the Internet is largely responsible for this. Physical trade shows are just not as important for selling and buying products in some industries as they were even ten years ago. And to tie back to that article, many trade shows across many industries have gotten a lot more expensive to attend for manufacturers and the other attendees.

Many manufacturers probably get more value out of promoting their products online than they do from spending money to attend Baselworld. Similarly for retailers, there is so much information online about individual watch models, why do they even need to go to the show? I understand the advantages of seeing a watch in person, but that has rarely slowed many of us down. :lol:
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

cel4145 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:34 am
yinzburgher wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:46 am Breitling has already withdrawn from next year's Baselworld, at least in part due to a scheduling conflict. It is unclear if the brand will return the following year. However Rolex and Tudor have plans to pick up some of the slack.

I suspect the Internet is largely responsible for this. Physical trade shows are just not as important for selling and buying products in some industries as they were even ten years ago. And to tie back to that article, many trade shows across many industries have gotten a lot more expensive to attend for manufacturers and the other attendees.

Many manufacturers probably get more value out of promoting their products online than they do from spending money to attend Baselworld. Similarly for retailers, there is so much information online about individual watch models, why do they even need to go to the show? I understand the advantages of seeing a watch in person, but that has rarely slowed many of us down. :lol:
Yea, I think the internet and online marketing is a huge part of it. Also, Breitling may find that they don't have to spend near as much money for their own Breitling Summit as they would for Baselworld. Sure, it will be a much smaller audience but they get to be the star of the show rather than playing second (er....third or fourth) fiddle to Rolex. I'm guessing the state of Baselworld will continue to get worse before it gets better. But I do hope it gets better.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

The Triton is yummy, however, they are filet mignon prices and I'm on a chuck steak budget. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:29 am
Britons aren’t just stocking up on essential medicines and toilet paper in case Brexit cuts off supplies from the rest of the world. Retailers are hoarding Swiss watches, too.
In Case of Brexit Emergency: A Stockpile of Luxury Swiss Watches
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ss-watches
A follow-up to the story about British retailers stocking up on luxury watches in anticipation of leaving the European Union: Swiss watch exports to the United Kingdom increased 52% in the first quarter of 2019. For comparison, exports to Hong Kong, USA and China were up 0.1%, 2.6% and 3.4% respectively.

HODINDEE - Brexit Stockpiling Skews Swiss Watch Export Growth
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Evine has received a $6 million investment from Invicta.

From the press release:
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... s-CEO.html
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Jaeger‑LeCoultre has announced a new customer care program that will now be providing an 8-year warranty, surpassing the 5-year warranties of Rolex, Omega, and Ulysse Nardin and the 2-year warranties of most other luxury brands.

Jaeger-LeCoultre Press Release

The Jaeger-LeCoultre Care Progam

Article from Revolution

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:23 pm Add two more notable watches to the list of upcoming auctions. On May 12th, Christie's will auction a rare vintage Rolex chronograph owned by Andy Warhol. Also in May, a Grand Complication pocket watch hand-made by George Daniels will be auctioned by Phillips and is expected to bring in $1.5 million.

Andy Warhol’s Rolex whipping up a storm of interest for watch auction

[img]https://1afctp46bx432tis5o1jynp3-wpengi ... -Rolex.jpg[/img]

A British 'genius' painstakingly made 23 pocket watches entirely by hand in his lifetime, and one of those is expected to go for more than $1.5 million at auction

[img]https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/ ... 0-1440.jpg[/img]

[img]https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/ ... 6-1152.jpg[/img]
The Rolex chronograph owned by Andy Warhol sold for $471,000 while the George Daniel pocket watch brought in a staggering $2.4 million.

Andy Warhol's Rolex sells for £362,000 at Christie's

Phillips’ George Daniels Pocket Watch Tops the Geneva Auctions at $2.4 Million
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Unexpected Relations Between The Hamilton Khaki & Seiko SARB017 Alpinist.

For Hamilton Khaki fans, this is good news that the SARB Alpinist Strapcode bracelets are apparently a good fit

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Omega has announced that earlier this year, the Seamaster Planet Ocean Ultra Deep Professional set a new world record for deepest diving watch when it plunged 10,928 meters into the Mariana Trench while strapped to the side of adventurer Victor Vescovo's submersible, the Limiting Factor.

MONOCHROME ARTICLE

FRATELLO ARTICLE

HODINKEE ARTICLE

sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:35 am Omega has announced that earlier this year, the Seamaster Planet Ocean Ultra Deep Professional set a new world record for deepest diving watch when it plunged 10,928 meters into the Mariana Trench while strapped to the side of adventurer Victor Vescovo's submersible, the Limiting Factor.

MONOCHROME ARTICLE

FRATELLO ARTICLE

HODINKEE ARTICLE
While it's a very impressive achievement, I think it's probably telling that they don't include any any wrist shots. :roll: