As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Logos - Let's Discuss

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Logos - Let's Discuss

Post by TheJohnP »

Let's start with Christopher Ward, shall we?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Logos - Let's Discuss

Post by TheJohnP »

Shout out to [mention]isotope[/mention], [mention]recapt[/mention], [mention]deckeda[/mention], [mention]tjcdas[/mention], [mention]peskydonut[/mention], [mention]cortman[/mention], and [mention]Robotaz[/mention]
Click Icon To Contact Me

Rixsler86
MoT Member

Post by Rixsler86 »

The overall consensus seems to be people don’t like the logo. But what do you replace it with: a symbol or wording? Where should it go:12, 3, 6, or 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nikon Z6

Tudor Black Bay Steel
Longines Hydroconquest GMT
Breitling Chronomat
Alpina Alpiner Extreme
Bulova x Complecto Jet Star
Brew Retromatic Copper
Fossil Mickey Mouse
Ernest Borel Athletic
Casio GWB5600AR-1
G-Shock DW5040PG
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I like the logo. It’s a Bauhaus design and it’s clean.
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

I hope they stick with the centered logo at 12:00 wordmark they have been using on their latest releases (e.g., the Military Collection). It's not perfect but it's fine. The models that have the wordmark at 9:00 and that embossed symbol at 12:00 is goofy enough to keep me from buying even though I like some of their designs.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I'm going out on a limb, but actually liked their name at 9.
Especially with a date window at 3. Felt more aesthetically balanced.

But I will say that they need to figure out their branding and stick with it. The constant changing can't be doing them any favors.
Click Icon To Contact Me

IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

I think the dual flag logo would make a great logo to replace the Christopher Ward text. However, I have owned every version of the CW logo over the years......and none really bothered me or became a favorite feature of the watch. It was just a logo, sometimes different than the last time. This CW logo talk is like the Seiko fans that ache over the Prospex logo.
-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

Rixsler86 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:03 pm The overall consensus seems to be people don’t like the logo. But what do you replace it with: a symbol or wording? Where should it go:12, 3, 6, or 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since they seem to sell really well, I don't think the overall concensus is that the logo is unliked...well at least to the extent of preventing a sale it isnt. I think the haters are a vocal minority though. The logo could be better......but I think we can find something about any watch that could be better. Don't even get me to talkign about the poor regualtion on Seiko automatics. :)
-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Since the title says "Logos," I suppose we can point out other brands.

What does the Azzaro logo signify? Soap bubbles?
Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 11.04.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 11.04.15 PM.png (361.64 KiB) Viewed 8756 times
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

I am guilty of not having a clue of who Christopher Ward is, or was.

Whether or not it's a real person, or maybe a, "Oh by the way, which one's Pink?" scenario, I don't care. The fact that the company hasn't drawn me in to care is more their problem, not mine. Names of two different dudes perhaps? Oh, great.

Listen, I'm not **** on the brand. I KNOW they make great watches. Stylish ones, also.

-- got no "problem" with a 9:00 placement, except that it never fit as well which is why it's really not done.
-- had a bigger "problem" with the Chr.WARD abbreviated iteration.
-- the little "square dots"? What did that represent, my interest breaking away?

Sans serif fonts read well online, although in recent years serif fonts' appearance have improved with screen resolutions. But dials are printed or plated or ... you can afford to make a serif font that looks classier than yes, Arial or something that reminds of Arial.

My criticisms have less overall to do with the logos and more so withe the brand name. And so it makes the logo more difficult than it needs to be. If your brand includes a proper first name, it carries some added baggage of provenance, history, tradition and so on. Brand names are usually surnames, because let's face it: "Christopher" ain't gonna live forever but "Ward" can go on, assuming suitable heirs.

I'm over thinkin' it but you get the point here. The brave move would be to keep the name but drop it from the dials. Get a nice logo (image) and stick with it. But recognizable logos without text are as rare as Apple's apple or Chevy's bowtie.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:07 pm Since the title says "Logos," I suppose we can point out other brands.

What does the Azzaro logo signify? Soap bubbles?

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 11.04.15 PM.png
I thought a more encompassing discussion for logos would be best.

I've seen that Azzaro logo and wondered about it myself.
Odd that it doesn't seem to be used across the other Azzaro fragrance or fashion portfolio. Only thing that seems to come up is this description from an Overstock post, where it is called "Azzaro icon rings."

But still can't seem to find the icon rings used elsewhere.
Click Icon To Contact Me

deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

valuewatchguy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:02 pm ... This CW logo talk is like the Seiko fans that ache over the Prospex logo.
That's never bothered me, apart from adding to models that are the same as older models that were just as "professional" without it. Hearing people pronounce it like, "prospect" (short "O" sound) is gonna make Baby Jesus cry tho.
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:07 pm What does the Azzaro logo signify? Soap bubbles?
HA! Two minutes of my life I'll never get back found me this info on their site:

"LORIS AZZARO
50 YEARS OF SHINE

The house of Azzaro was founded in 1967 by Loris Azzaro, who not only designed for the label but was the man behind its business success. Over the course of his long spanning career, Azzaro built a strong celebrity following dressing iconic beauties such as Sophia Loren, Raquel Welch and Marisa Berenson. Creating a dynamic aesthetic for himself, his trademarks were alluring colors, ornate beading and daring cut-outs. Famous for silk jersey, sparkled embroideries, and the signature “Three Rings” dress, the name Azzaro is synonymous with timeless elegance, and continues to bring luxurious simplicity."

I have no idea what the Three Rings dress looked like, nor did I find any watches on their site, but there you have it (I think.)
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

deckeda wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:49 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:07 pm What does the Azzaro logo signify? Soap bubbles?
HA! Two minutes of my life I'll never get back found me this info on their site:

"LORIS AZZARO
50 YEARS OF SHINE

The house of Azzaro was founded in 1967 by Loris Azzaro, who not only designed for the label but was the man behind its business success. Over the course of his long spanning career, Azzaro built a strong celebrity following dressing iconic beauties such as Sophia Loren, Raquel Welch and Marisa Berenson. Creating a dynamic aesthetic for himself, his trademarks were alluring colors, ornate beading and daring cut-outs. Famous for silk jersey, sparkled embroideries, and the signature “Three Rings” dress, the name Azzaro is synonymous with timeless elegance, and continues to bring luxurious simplicity."

I have no idea what the Three Rings dress looked like, nor did I find any watches on their site, but there you have it (I think.)

And NOW it all makes sense.

Click Icon To Contact Me

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

TheJohnP wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 pm
deckeda wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:49 pm

"LORIS AZZARO
50 YEARS OF SHINE

And NOW it all makes sense.

------

Or doesn't.