SUPER CHEAP AFFORDABLE WATCHES! - THE $20 OR LESS THREAD

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: SUPER CHEAP AFFORDABLE WATCHES! - THE $20 OR LESS THREAD

Post by yinzburgher »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:47 pm
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
I'm really happy with mine! Timex makes some great looking watches. And I think everyone should own at least one watch with Indiglo!

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

yinzburgher wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:09 pm
Hidden Content
I'm really happy with mine! Timex makes some great looking watches. And I think everyone should own at least one watch with Indiglo!

I had assumed the hands were polished silver, but they look black in your photos -- very nice. I have a Casio with a white dial and polished hands, so it's just a little harder to read. Someday I'm going to take a sharpie to them.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:28 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:09 pm
Hidden Content

I had assumed the hands were polished silver, but they look black in your photos -- very nice. I have a Casio with a white dial and polished hands, so it's just a little harder to read. Someday I'm going to take a sharpie to them.
Yep, the hands are black which matches the numerals. The only legibility quibble I have is the white seconds hand on the cream dial.......which is completely forgiven at just 7 clams.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Amazon has some great prices on ultra-affordable watches right now. In most cases the prices have been lowered by a few bucks. Below is one instance in which the price is normally well over $20 but has come down significantly.

The Timex T80 digital watch - model T78587 - $16.45
- 34mm resin case (unlike the steel Speidel case) and comes with a 18mm expansion band that you can use on your Q reissue. As you can see, it is currently a lower price than the camels have previously recorded. The gold model T78677 is also available for $17.15. Link below. :geek:

Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 3.07.19 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 3.07.19 PM.png (73.49 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

yinzburgher wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:15 pm Amazon has some great prices on ultra-affordable watches right now. In most cases the prices have been lowered by a few bucks. Below is one instance in which the price is normally well over $20 but has come down significantly.

- 34mm resin case (unlike the steel Speidel case) and comes with a 18mm expansion band that you can use on your Q reissue. As you can see, it is currently a lower price than the camels have previously recorded. The gold model T78677 is also available for $17.15. Link below. :geek:

Seeing this made me suspect that Amazon is price matching somebody. Could it be Target? I think so, b/c Target's price for the T80 is the same:

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-timex-cl ... A-21542742

More fun at Target -- they have a few other cool candidates (that I bet Amazon is also matching):

target_casios.jpg
target_casios.jpg (67.28 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:41 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:15 pm Amazon has some great prices on ultra-affordable watches right now. In most cases the prices have been lowered by a few bucks. Below is one instance in which the price is normally well over $20 but has come down significantly.

Seeing this made me suspect that Amazon is price matching somebody. Could it be Target? I think so, b/c Target's price for the T80 is the same:

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-timex-cl ... A-21542742

More fun at Target -- they have a few other cool candidates (that I bet Amazon is also matching):

target_casios.jpg
Nice! I've also seen Amazon match pricing from other department stores like Macy's, Kohl's, and JC Penny. And I used to wonder if these quick Amazon deals had something to do with their algorithms matching those occasional super cheap in-store prices at various Walmarts throughout the nation.....which would occasionally show up on Walmart's site too.....double check on Brickseek......better confer with the camels.....aaand carry the 7.....this bump under my scalp seems too big to be a microchip......oh the headaches! Anyway, I could never quite connect things in my own mind, let alone provide any reasonable proof here.

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Cheap straps for cheap watches. Watchstation has some promising $3.75 - $7.50 straps after their 25% off newsletter signup code, incl. free shipping & free returns (tested). Some I removed from my cart after closely looking at the photos or reading reviews. And even though they show springbar attachment, most listings say they are for some smartwatch that is in their stable, so maybe the straps are short or somehow not suited for other watches. OTOH, their return policy is generous, so no worries. They have them in the smaller widths I need, and rubber straps are easy to mod.

Here is a strap search page sorted by price:
https://www.watchstation.com/en-us/sear ... _US&page=1

Here are some examples:

20mm Stainless Milanese bracelet w/ magnetic closure. Reviews say it is short but well made. $10 before code.
https://www.watchstation.com/en-us/prod ... S9296.html

20mm two-piece perlon -- other widths and colors available. $8 before code.
https://www.watchstation.com/en-us/prod ... S9244.html

20mm silicone strap. Of their various rubber strap offerings, I think these "Sport Strap+" look the most promising. Other colors available. $5 before code.
https://www.watchstation.com/en-us/prod ... S9306.html

20mm red NATO, $8 before code.
https://www.watchstation.com/en-us/prod ... B6045.html

They also have a 38mm Fisk watch that is $20.25 after code, so it almost qualifies for SUPER CHEAP (Fisk mini-review here). Skagen.com has other Fisks for ~$30, fwiw.
https://www.watchstation.com/en-us/prod ... W2916.html

Last edited by BostonCharlie on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

$7 Timex Rugged back -- or is it?

Their page says OOS atm, but clicking the orange See All Buying Options button gave me the $7 Amazon option, and it let me add to cart. That's stealth.

https://www.amazon.com/Timex-Ironman-Ru ... 00HYUT71W/

timex.jpg
timex.jpg (57.87 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
ohhenry1
MoT Member

Post by ohhenry1 »

BostonCharlie wrote:
They also have a 38mm Fisk watch that is $20.25 after code, so it almost qualifies for SUPER CHEAP (Fisk mini-review here). Skagen.com has other Fisks for ~$30, fwiw.
https://www.watchstation.com/en-us/prod ... W2916.html

Rakuten 6% cash back on Watch Station purchases actually gets the Fisk under $20. :)
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

A tale of two Casios. Each was $20 from Macy's half-price deal last week.

The 40mm Forester (it has a backlight feature which presumably is useful in a dark forest) came on an unworkable canvas and plastic strap. The 19mm lugs were an unpleasant surprise. Luckily a 20mm Lakehouse Leathers stitchless strap fit. Add a black buckle, and we're good to go.

The 42mm watch (no idea what the reference number is) seems a much better deal to me. Soft resin strap, day-date, 100M WR (stated), friction timing bezel. Very legible.

All in all, these two are worth $40 shipped. One can't have too many beaters, right? Right? :lol:
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

tommy_boy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:37 pm
The 42mm watch (no idea what the reference number is) seems a much better deal to me. Soft resin strap, day-date, 100M WR (stated), friction timing bezel. Very legible.

For anyone looking in the future, that's the MRW200H-7BV. The last three characters change for each color variation. Great beater!
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

My super cheap straps arrived. The perlon straps might not be worth it — the weave is wonky. But the silicone straps are looking good, esp. for the $3.75 price. Quick release springbars, even on the buckle. Good finishing on the buckle. Being my first silicone straps, I can only compare them to stock Casio straps and say that these feel more luxurious. Lots of holes allows for finer adjustment. The tail of the strap has a raised square (with logo) that catches the second keeper, so it stays put.

(Update to add that I returned the perlon straps today. Their shipping box included an adhesive prepaid return label and a form for marking which items I was returning. Easy peasy.)

My favorite thing about these kinds of deals is that I can try things I wouldn’t think to try otherwise:

6C3FE296-30B2-4C41-8238-A8D717217731.jpeg
474DCA88-1325-4BA8-8D7A-9CED65FB07F0.jpeg
Stock detail showing raised square and notched keeper:
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

36mm Timex w/ Indiglo for $15 shipped from your choice of sellers. My wife actually just bought this style of Timex -- only the inner circle lights up with Indiglo.

GooRoo:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Timex-Mens-T29 ... 3803468635

Ashford (Pop-up offers a 10% discount code, too.)
https://www.ashford.com/timex/t29321.html

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Hidden Content
Attachments
casio.jpg
casio.jpg (61.3 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Hidden Content
Attachments
casio.jpg
casio.jpg (57.9 KiB) Viewed 4171 times