We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
balcorn80
MoT Member

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by balcorn80 »

Put this guy together over the weekend.

I have a thing for the Eterna KonTikis.
I have 3 from the late 50s or early 60s, and 2 that are mods running modern movements.
KIMG1363.jpg
One is in a vintage case, and this one is in a 90s reissue(the 'Kontiki 1958' models) case, which I wanted because it was made to run the 2824.

I prefer the larger 37mm case to the smaller 34mm case, but I still like them all. Stoked to have one with a darker dial in my collection. Image

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Now that I have one, all the praise this Ratio Freediver gets from @Bolster and most recently @recapt is well deserved. What a fantastic watch, and absolute thievery at $68 ($76 including shipping) from Creation Watches. I think this is my best buy for 2021.

This is why it wears so well on essentially everyone:

It's quite thin.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

ManOnTime wrote:Image

Now that I have one, all the praise this Ratio Freediver gets from [mention]Bolster[/mention] and most recently [mention]recapt[/mention] is well deserved. What a fantastic watch, and absolute thievery at $68 ($76 including shipping) from Creation Watches. I think this is my best buy for 2021.

This is why it wears so well on essentially everyone:

It's quite thin.
Really glad you like it… I would have felt a bit guilty otherwise [emoji28]

The value for money really is off the charts.
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

The Longines Heritage Military Marine Nationale L2.833.4.93.2 arrived today.

Dial is a nice light yellow/light gold biased champagne dial with maybe some dots sprinkled at random. I find sometimes 2 or 3 but seem to lose them on second inspection. It's not easy to find them with my cheap magnifying glass either. I was only able to see the speckled design when using the zoom on my phone's camera as seen on photos below.

So, I am happy the fauxtina(if I can even call it that) is not over done/look artificial like on the Heritage Military linked here

The color on the dial seems to change depending on the source of light and time of day. Outside it's a nice fresh light yellow/light gold tint. Indoors or when its turning dark, the dial has more silvery tint to the yellow and dial gains depth somehow. A very lovely 3mm tall boxed domed sapphire crystal paired with dainty drilled lugs that makes the watch seem delicate. It's 12.5mm from top of crystal to the bottom of the case.

I never thought I'd find a "sei tacche" caseback on a brand new watch but the faithful reproduction is welcome though slightly less text would have been better. I also wish they upped the water resistance to from 3 bar to a bit more but I am never letting this watch drown so not going to be an issue.

The 7.7mm crown is nice, oversized and buttery smooth to turn. Strap is a little stiff and squeaks now and then at buckle and the drilled lugs. I wish it was 18/20mm but due to the proportion, I think 18mm would have made it a bit too small and 20mm would be comically large. This is the only watch I own with 19mm lugs but now that I have it in hand, I see the proportions are correct. I'm unsure if Longines could have made it "better" while keeping it close to the original proportions though the original was a 33m watch with 18mm lugs and 13mm thickness.

The arabic numbers are crisply printed and black lumed. They glow blue when lighted up with an UV torch. Lume however is short lived and with the overcast day here I didn't see it light up at all when coming in from the outside. I don't think lume is necessary but I'll take it as a bonus since its there.

The best part of the watch are the heat blued hands. I find myself turning the watch(very often) to an angle just to see it. Happy with the purchase.

Some pictures below
Last edited by pgcity on Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

That's gorgeous @pgcity !
Congrats on a spectacular purchase.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:17 am That's gorgeous @pgcity !
Congrats on a spectacular purchase.
Thank you sir :)
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

pgcity wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:13 am The Longines Heritage Military Marine Nationale L2.833.4.93.2 arrived today.

Dial is a nice light yellow/light gold biased champagne dial with maybe some dots sprinkled at random. I find sometimes 2 or 3 but seem to lose them on second inspection. It's not easy to find them with my cheap magnifying glass either. I was only able to see the speckled design when used the zoom on my phone's camera as seen on photos below.

So, I am happy the fauxtina(if I can even call it that) is not over done/look artificial like on the Heritage Military linked here

The color on the dial seem sto change depending on the source of light and time of day. Outside it's a nice fresh light yellow/light gold tint. Indoors or when its turning dark, the dial has more silvery tint to the yellow and dial gains depth somehow. A very lovely 3mm tall boxed domed sapphire crystal paired with dainty drilled lugs that makes the watch seem delicate. It's 12.5mm from top of crystal to the bottom of the case.

I never thought I'd find a "sei tacche" caseback on a brand new watch but the faithful reproduction is welcome though slightly less text would have been better. I also wish they upped the water resistance to from 3 bar to a bit more but I am never letting this watch drown so not going to be an issue.

The 7.7mm crown is nice, oversized and buttery smooth to turn. Strap is a little stiff and squeaks now and then at buckle and the drilled lugs. I wish it was 18/20mm but due to the proportion, I think 18mm would have made it a bit too small and 20mm would be comically large. This is the only watch I own with 19mm lugs but now that I have it in hand, I see the proportions are correct. I'm unsure if Longines could have made it "better" while keeping it close to the original proportions though the original was a 33m watch with 18mm lugs and 13mm thickness.

The arabic numbers are crisply printed and black lumed. They glow blue when lighted up with an UV torch. Lume however is short lived and with the overcast day here I didn't see it light up at all when coming in from the outside. I don't think lume not necessary but I'll take it as a bonus since its there.

The best part of the watch are the heat blued hands. I find myself turning the watch(very often) to an angle just to see it. Happy with the purchase.

Some pictures below
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
balcorn80
MoT Member

Post by balcorn80 »

@pgcity that is stunning! Are those 36mm?

pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

balcorn80 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:04 am @pgcity that is stunning! Are those 36mm?

I measured 38.6mm across the case between the 2 and 8 hour markers. Longines lists it as 38.5mm so its fairly accurate. The crystal measures 32.4mm while the dial itself is 30mm. It wears slightly smaller than the 38.5mm suggests because of the stepped bezel so I feel its like a 37mm. Yes gorgeous :D
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Thanks @Miggyd87Image
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Picked this up from @ManOnTime for a song on the Sales Bazaar thread on the official MoT Discord.

More reason to check it out if you haven't.

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Alright I really need to do better about posting here instead of just on Discord- so here is the rundown of #watchtober for me. It's been probably my most hectic month for watch purchasing.

First these weren't really purchases, but just came back from a service- which as I wasn't able to really wear them before the service, so it's pretty much like getting new watches.

1. 1960's Ball Trainmaster, railroad approved. I love the RR dial, and the case shape with those jaw dropping bombe lugs is so cool.
PXL_20211020_142604033-01.jpeg
2. 1951 Elgin DeLuxe. This was recently acquired from my Mom. It was my late grandpa's dress watch. I don't have any recollection myself of him wearing it, but I cleaned it up and got it properly serviced. I'll pull it out for dress occasions, and I am really glad to have a memento of my grandpa.
PXL_20211015_025125341 (1).jpg
3. Certina DS PH200M, blue/gilt. This one has been on my mind ever since it was released last year. Love the blue and gilt and polish. A couple weeks ago a bunch of enablers in the MoT Discord found some good deals and I finally pulled the trigger. This thing is incredible- terrific, solid bezel action, and the black dial with gold/rose gold handset and accents is just stunning. It wears large, but not too large for my 7" wrist.
PXL_20211022_231746066-01 (1).jpeg
4. HMT Pilot. This just arrived today, and I am over the moon about it. An all original Pilot in mint condition, it's not an expensive watch but a tough one to find. This one came courtesy of our own @Halaku to whom I am indebted for giving me a great deal. I have read about HMT and researched them and enjoyed learning about the company for a long time but had yet to find the right piece to pull the trigger on. I am going to enjoy this one for a long time.
PXL_20211026_004653173.jpg
There will be one more coming for sure, and I'll update this when it arrives- I'm also very excited about it. Been one heck of a month, and it's not even Black Friday yet, lol.
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

This was a big week for me, watch-tastically-speaking. After 3 years of admiring and, at times, obsessing over the original Black Bay 58 I've finally added one to my collection.

I am thrilled. I love it.

I had a moment of clarity about a month ago and knew it was time for me to make this move. I realized that all I really had to do was sell a few pieces that I wasn't really bonding with to put in within reach.

This was absolutely the right decision.

Side note: Although admittedly esoteric, I feel the need to share that I have named him Jack Lambert, because he's number 58 and wears black and gold. IYKYK.

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

recapt wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:19 am This was a big week for me, watch-tastically-speaking. After 3 years of admiring and, at times, obsessing over the original Black Bay 58 I've finally added one to my collection.

I am thrilled. I love it.

I had a moment of clarity about a month ago and knew it was time for me to make this move. I realized that all I really had to do was sell a few pieces that I wasn't really bonding with to put in within reach.

This was absolutely the right decision.

Side note: Although admittedly esoteric, I feel the need to share that I have named him Jack Lambert, because he's number 58 and wears black and gold. IYKYK.

Absobloodylutely lovely! So happy for you.

Admittedly, a friend named mine Bert, for no good reason.