We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
quincas
MoT Member

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by quincas »

Sporkboy wrote:OK, the movement wasn’t budging. I am not to the point where I am servicing movements yet, so it gets bagged for another time. I am no expert, but I think the hairspring is toast.

I had another movement that was in the same family, only with a day/date complication. I removed that and when I removed the seconds hand, the hand came, but the barrel held tight to the pinion.

Luckily the watch had a huge crystal that could handle the extra pinion length. That means that the hands are away from the dial and there is no seconds hand at the moment. Just realized I had a spare handset for this movement ::facepalm::

There was a screw that held the movement to the case that was loose, so that was an easy fix to get the movement to stop moving around. I will need to order a couple of spare movements and wait for them to arrive before I can call this done, but I am enjoying it for now.
ImageImage
Is it the real deal? I’ve also read that the indices are “sort of” applied.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Show Off Your New Watch

Post by Sporkboy »

quincas wrote:
Sporkboy wrote:OK, the movement wasn’t budging. I am not to the point where I am servicing movements yet, so it gets bagged for another time. I am no expert, but I think the hairspring is toast.

I had another movement that was in the same family, only with a day/date complication. I removed that and when I removed the seconds hand, the hand came, but the barrel held tight to the pinion.

Luckily the watch had a huge crystal that could handle the extra pinion length. That means that the hands are away from the dial and there is no seconds hand at the moment. Just realized I had a spare handset for this movement ::facepalm::

There was a screw that held the movement to the case that was loose, so that was an easy fix to get the movement to stop moving around. I will need to order a couple of spare movements and wait for them to arrive before I can call this done, but I am enjoying it for now.
ImageImage
As far as I can tell, this is a legitimate Big Zero. It is hard to tell on the indices, but they do look more shiny than they would be if printed. I will have to check under magnification the next time I have it out of the case.

It is a very modern feeling vintage watch and I totally get the appeal now. It is 39 or so and it feels a bit larger. Very noticeable and I will wear it proudly.

I have ordered a batch of spare 2609 HA movements, so I guess I will learn how to service them now. Then it should have all the right parts in it.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

quincas wrote:

ImageImage
If you've read the same TBWS article that I read, I think Kaz is either confused about or is using a different definition of "applied". These are not applied in the sense that they are separate pieces physically attached to the dial. They are ever so slightly raised perhaps, but they are definitely not "applied" in the sense that I understand applied indexes.

Living a comeback montage.
quincas
MoT Member

Show Off Your New Watch

Post by quincas »

peskydonut wrote:
quincas wrote:

ImageImage
If you've read the same TBWS article that I read, I think Kaz is either confused about or is using a different definition of "applied". These are not applied in the sense that they are separate pieces physically attached to the dial. They are ever so slightly raised perhaps, but they are definitely not "applied" in the sense that I understand applied indexes.
I think so, yes.

I think he meant they are stickered on and not printed on.

My newfound love. It’s like the Russian watches. So easy to own. And own... and own...

Mind you, this is a 40mm watch on a 7.25” wrist. Extremely wearable and flashable. Much more pleasant than the citizen full lume ny0080 LD asian promaster.

Speaking of which, anyone interested in 1? [emoji6]
Osteoman
MoT Member

Post by Osteoman »

Bought this Zelos Swordfish bronze with black sand dial recently when they had a clearance.

Strange question. I took it off after wearing it a few days and put it in my watch box. Got it out today and it was still running! And had the exact right time! It was in the watch box for two weeks without being touched. How does that happen with an automatic????? I do not understand.

Please help me understand what happened here. No one else wore it. It was in the box untouched for two weeks and running. Image

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Osteoman wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:16 pm Bought this Zelos Swordfish bronze with black sand dial recently when they had a clearance.

Strange question. I took it off after wearing it a few days and put it in my watch box. Got it out today and it was still running! And had the exact right time! It was in the watch box for two weeks without being touched. How does that happen with an automatic????? I do not understand.

Please help me understand what happened here. No one else wore it. It was in the box untouched for two weeks and running. Image

🤔 No idea but if you figure that out please let us know. Hard to believe that Zelos would have come up with the secret sauce for a 14 day power reserve.......and then not bothered to tell anyone. Some creature of the night is definitely wearing your Zelos while you sleep. Out of curiosity, is it the Seiko or ETA movement? Nice looking watch. Enjoy it!
Osteoman
MoT Member

Post by Osteoman »

Thank you and it is the Seiko movement $249 on their clearance recently.

I just don't understand at all what happened

BATMAN
MoT Member

Post by BATMAN »

Osteoman wrote:Thank you and it is the Seiko movement $249 on their clearance recently.

You were sleep-winding

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Another square.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Osteoman wrote:Thank you and it is the Seiko movement $249 on their clearance recently.

I don't know what happened either but I do know it didn't run for two weeks without winding. [emoji3]

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Tried bright orange watches, didn't work out on the wrist. Time to try bright yellow.

Osteoman
MoT Member

Post by Osteoman »

PetWatch wrote:

I don't know what happened either but I do know it didn't run for two weeks without winding. [emoji3]

I hear ya. I'm wondering if maybe me moving the watch box to open it was enough to get it started and I just happened to get the watch out at the exact same time of the day that the watch stopped. It was to the minute.

This is a more logical explanation.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

The Halios Seaforth Bronze arrived. I chose the sunburst fume grey dial and I'm thinking I made the right choice. The blue looked great too but I think this color will look best once the bronze case has oxidized or developed some patina.

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

So I purchased a Citizen Nighthawk and decided that the first time is wear it would be during my trip in Jerusalem.
I have to be honest, while I liked the look of the watch, I was nervous about whether or not I'd actually enjoy it since I'm not a huge fan of quartz. Boy was I wrong! I have loved every ticking second of having this watch on my wrist! The bracelet is phenomenal for the price. Watch is really easy to read despite the complex dial and inner bezel. The second time zone really comes in handy when it's needed. And it just looks and feels great! It can pull off the most casual of outfits as well as dressing up with a sporty flair!
This guy will certainly stay on my wrist often

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
Osteoman
MoT Member

Post by Osteoman »

Bbrou33 wrote:So I purchased a Citizen Nighthawk and decided that the first time is wear it would be during my trip in Jerusalem.
I have to be honest, while I liked the look of the watch, I was nervous about whether or not I'd actually enjoy it since I'm not a huge fan of quartz. Boy was I wrong! I have loved every ticking second of having this watch on my wrist! The bracelet is phenomenal for the price. Watch is really easy to read despite the complex dial and inner bezel. The second time zone really comes in handy when it's needed. And it just looks and feels great! It can pull off the most casual of outfits as well as dressing up with a sporty flair!
This guy will certainly stay on my wrist often

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I agree with all your points. I have this one and the blue Angels one and they are two of my favorite irregardless of price.