We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Pangaea wrote:ImageBeen a huge fan of this site and the camaraderie since the beginning. Good to see people treating other people well, especially on the internet. I don't post much, mostly because I have been trying to stay away from deals in order to save for this- a long time coming. It arrived today from Crown and Caliber. I had never seen one in person, until today. It is everything I was hoping it would be.
Awesome watch, congratulations! That has been a grail for me for a while now. What year is it?
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Pangaea

Post by Pangaea »

Thanks AndroidIsAwesome! It has always been my grail as well. Makes me wonder... where do I go from here? According to Crown and Caliber it is an 114270 from 2001.
Last edited by Pangaea on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Pangaea wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:30 pm ImageBeen a huge fan of this site and the camaraderie since the beginning. Good to see people treating other people well, especially on the internet. I don't post much, mostly because I have been trying to stay away from deals in order to save for this- a long time coming. It arrived today from Crown and Caliber. I had never seen one in person, until today. It is everything I was hoping it would be.
Well, that's one way to make a long-overdue introduction! :D

Congratulations on the Explorer!
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Landed_Alien
MoT Member

Post by Landed_Alien »

Pangaea wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:30 pm ImageBeen a huge fan of this site and the camaraderie since the beginning. Good to see people treating other people well, especially on the internet. I don't post much, mostly because I have been trying to stay away from deals in order to save for this- a long time coming. It arrived today from Crown and Caliber. I had never seen one in person, until today. It is everything I was hoping it would be.
Congratulations, and well done on focusing on what you really wanted instead of chasing another deal like the rest of us :roll:

I've been on the waiting list at my local AD for the current gen Explorer for about 8 months now. I suspect Rolex will have updated it to a 41mm case before I every get one on my wrist.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Wow! Congratulations, that is an amazing pick up! I hope to see more of it in WRUW or LWDS. If I ever get a Rolex, this would be it or a 36 mm OP in turquoise.
Pangaea

Post by Pangaea »

Landed_Alien wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:58 pm
Congratulations, and well done on focusing on what you really wanted instead of chasing another deal like the rest of us :roll:

I've been on the waiting list at my local AD for the current gen Explorer for about 8 months now. I suspect Rolex will have updated it to a 41mm case before I every get one on my wrist.
I honestly don't think I could pull off the 39. I have 6.75in wrists, and the 36 Explorer wears bigger than some of my other 36 watches. 41 would be blasphemy. I hope it never gets to that point. :D
anjie

Post by anjie »

Conchita Turtle
MoT Member

Post by Conchita Turtle »

I have been hit by a meteorite...

The watch is an Aries Gold "Black Sea", from Singapore, with a NH35 movement. It came with a more than correct leather strap, but I like to have diver watches with straps that I can get wet, so I put a Nato while I get a Tropic type strap.

The back is customizable. Initially I wanted to have, not only my first watch with meteorite dial, but also erotic type, and I sent them a drawing of the Italian cartoonist Milo Manara... but it seems there were problems, so I sent another drawing of "Corto Maltese" sailor, an adventure comic of my youth. Although the drawing looks good, you can see dots, and maybe I was expecting a little better definition.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Conchita Turtle wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:52 am I have been hit by a meteorite...

The watch is an Aries Gold "Black Sea", from Singapore, with a NH35 movement. It came with a more than correct leather strap, but I like to have diver watches with straps that I can get wet, so I put a Nato while I get a Tropic type strap.

The back is customizable. Initially I wanted to have, not only my first watch with meteorite dial, but also erotic type, and I sent them a drawing of the Italian cartoonist Milo Manara... but it seems there were problems, so I sent another drawing of "Corto Maltese" sailor, an adventure comic of my youth. Although the drawing looks good, you can see dots, and maybe I was expecting a little better definition.

Aries Gold has some nice look designs. How would you rate the build quality?
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Conchita Turtle
MoT Member

Post by Conchita Turtle »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:11 pm
Conchita Turtle wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:52 am I have been hit by a meteorite...

Aries Gold has some nice look designs. How would you rate the build quality?

I discovered the watch through a blog from Singapore, WahSoShiok. It has a full review, and you can find a strong (wink, wink) discount on all watches from the brand, which leaves them at the level of Chinese hommage watches from Aliexpress.
https://www.wahsoshiok.com/aries-gold-b ... -included/

With the discount, they have a high quality, and a very good finish for the price paid. The meteorite dial is gorgeous, has a soft pearl-like luster, and a nice pretty pattern. Likewise, the presentation case, in wood and velvet, is very nice, one of the best I've seen in its category. The only downside, as I say, the drawing of the personalization I expected it with a little more definition, it seems to be made with a printer and you can see a little the dots of the drawing. I would not pay for it as an extra if I bought another watch.
THFPureAsGold
MoT Member

Post by THFPureAsGold »

472FE3C5-09B7-4BAC-924C-C47E318C53E2.jpeg
What a stunning watch! Have a great weekend :)
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

Loving the Reise Resolute at the moment!Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

Unplanned mall pick-up

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Picked this up for €26. Its a 21 jewel 7009A dated from June 1992. Arrived with a loose rotor, brittle gasket, -900 s/d rate with wide fluctuation, and a tendency to randomly stop running. End links were also bent and allowed enough play to turn.

Have not done a full cleaning, but blew out the dust, oiled the jewels, adjusted / regulated, re-attached rotor and rehydrated and lubed the gasket. Ultrasonic and brushed the grime from the bracelet, reshaped the end links and replaced the springpins. Also mangled my hands fighting with the bracelet to resize. Now fits, and getting +/- 20 s/d and a full reserve, but with 4ms BE. Will need a full service and possibly new spring and pallet fork to improve upon that.

Not sure how common it is, but love the Seiko 5 signed crystal. Looks great, but I think the endlinks can still use a bit of adjustment to lay flush with the lugs. Will try to get a better picture once the sun comes up.
483F9B77-B089-4A49-BB11-99D832F6FBF6.jpeg
9C87C983-0614-4F54-B121-7329D5677F09.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr