As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
WPybus
MoT Member

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by WPybus »

Yeh most regulators I’d looked at were big, this one at 38mm is perfect, the movement is a Perseus 7046 (eta7001 with calendar) and I offered him £240 including postage!!

Let’s just hope the missus doesn’t catch the postman with the davosa argonautic and the formex essense that should also be arriving this week....!
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

WPybus wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:16 am Yeh most regulators I’d looked at were big, this one at 38mm is perfect, the movement is a Perseus 7046 (eta7001 with calendar) and I offered him £240 including postage!!

Let’s just hope the missus doesn’t catch the postman with the davosa argonautic and the formex essense that should also be arriving this week....!
Fabulous find. Double congrats!

Hahaha You need a WIS neighbor.
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

Happened to be in the vicinity of a Mido boutique on Monday and, as luck would have it, they had received a shipment of their new releases on Sunday.

I was offered 20% off list price and also a USD 100 voucher for sunglasses in their sister store (odd, but an easy present for the missus for some brownie points). Together that took it to around USD 900.

I was keen on this anyway, so that made it a no-brain instant purchase.

That said, I had a slight wobble because the black/orange on steel is absolutely gorgeous. The two-tone is also surprisingly nice - much more subdued and discrete than the renders would suggest. These are well worth checking out if you're a Mido fan (this is my first) or want a true GMT for USD 1k.

Crap phone pics in bad light, but you get the idea [emoji6]
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

baldrick wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:13 am Image

Wow, congrats! Definitely a tough choice between the blue vs. orange.
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Re: Heads Up! I Saw A Bargain Here! 2020

Post by DogOnTime »

BillionaireDoors wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:07 pm Just arrived from ToM. Wow!

MVIMG_20200825_130632 (1).jpg

IMG_20200825_130646 (1).jpg
Love the green/yellow combo. It's atypical to see it balanced so well.
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

Yep I was all set on the blue heading in and then had to take a good 30 minutes thinking about the orange once I saw it.

A couple of things swung it:

- I have a few divers on steel already, so the blue strap was something different (and is very, very nice quality)

- The strap version was marginally cheaper

- The orange was much sportier. The orange numerals and hand stand out more than the blue/grey scheme, so it's a bit flashier and noticeable. I wanted something a bit more discreet, but the orange would have been the obvious choice otherwise.

As I say, though, the black/orange was gorgeous and I was sorely tempted. I was offered a greater discount if I bought both and I confess I thought long and hard about that. To be honest, I'm still thinking about it! [emoji1787]

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

baldrick wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:27 am Yep I was all set on the blue heading in and then had to take a good 30 minutes thinking about the orange once I saw it.

A couple of things swung it:

- I have a few divers on steel already, so the blue strap was something different (and is very, very nice quality)

- The strap version was marginally cheaper

- The orange was much sportier. The orange numerals and hand stand out more than the blue/grey scheme, so it's a bit flashier and noticeable. I wanted something a bit more discreet, but the orange would have been the obvious choice otherwise.

As I say, though, the black/orange was gorgeous and I was sorely tempted. I was offered a greater discount if I bought both and I confess I thought long and hard about that. To be honest, I'm still thinking about it! [emoji1787]

Great-looking watch! I like how it has a timing bezel (vs a 24-hr bezel on a lot of GMT "divers"...which technically takes the "diver" out of the divers...). I'd be tempted if it were smaller!
Potato_With_Arms
MoT Member

Post by Potato_With_Arms »

baldrick wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:13 am
ImageImage
Nice watch 🤤
BATMAN
MoT Member

Post by BATMAN »

baldrick wrote:Happened to be in the vicinity of a Mido boutique on Monday and, as luck would have it, they had received a shipment of their new releases on Sunday.

I was offered 20% off list price and also a USD 100 voucher for sunglasses in their sister store (odd, but an easy present for the missus for some brownie points). Together that took it to around USD 900.

I was keen on this anyway, so that made it a no-brain instant purchase.

That said, I had a slight wobble because the black/orange on steel is absolutely gorgeous. The two-tone is also surprisingly nice - much more subdued and discrete than the renders would suggest. These are well worth checking out if you're a Mido fan (this is my first) or want a true GMT for USD 1k.

Crap phone pics in bad light, but you get the idea [emoji6]
ImageImageImageImage

Nice watch! And cool mug

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

aldi
MoT Member

Post by aldi »

My Proxima MM300 Soil/Earth Grade 5 Titanium which I've been eagerly anticipating for the past 2 months just arrived earlier this week.

My reason for purchasing this watch was to fulfill my lust for a deep red/burgundy dial watch with applied indices. I considered several red dial watches e.g. Orion Hellcat, Oris Big Crown but ultimately felt that the value for money this Proxima offered was too hard to pass by.

In that sense, I view this as a counterpart to my SARB017: unconventional colored dial with gold hands, while introducing some unique features (grade 5 titanium/sapphire bezel vs inner rotating compass bezel) at a reasonable pricepoint.

I also like how Proxima is introducing unconventional color choices and introducing new materials (PVD/titanium) as opposed to other homage manufacturers which seem intent on making lazy improvements off conventional models.

Good:
- Value for money at 290 USD shipped
- I like the color palette of a rich burgundy dial contrasted with thickly lumed applied indices and gold hands along with a gunmetal titanium case/bracelet
- Strong lume which can last for hours
- Good customer service. See the videos/photos below which Proxima sent me before shipping the watch.

Bad:
- Bezel has significant backplay, around 1/2 a minute
- Stamped stainless steel clasp feels flimsy
- AR is non-existent

Comments:
- I'm still not convinced on the functionality of the day function since the day text is color matched to the dial i.e. you can only see it when under lume
- I'm not sure if this actually is Grade 5 titanium since I've already noticed some hairline scratches on the bracelet after 2 days of use.
- In my opinion, I would prefer if they used a date-less hi-beat movement e.g. PT5000 or 9015 and would pay at most 400 USD, if they also upgraded the clasp.

Pictures are on my 6.75 inch / 17.15 cm wrist

Proxima pre-shipment deliverables:

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

aldi wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:13 am My Proxima MM300 Soil/Earth Grade 5 Titanium which I've been eagerly anticipating for the past 2 months just arrived earlier this week.

My reason for purchasing this watch was to fulfill my lust for a deep red/burgundy dial watch with applied indices. I considered several red dial watches e.g. Orion Hellcat, Oris Big Crown but ultimately felt that the value for money this Proxima offered was too hard to pass by.

In that sense, I view this as a counterpart to my SARB017: unconventional colored dial with gold hands, while introducing some unique features (grade 5 titanium/sapphire bezel vs inner rotating compass bezel) at a reasonable pricepoint.

I also like how Proxima is introducing unconventional color choices and introducing new materials (PVD/titanium) as opposed to other homage manufacturers which seem intent on making lazy improvements off conventional models.

Good:
- Value for money at 290 USD shipped
- I like the color palette of a rich burgundy dial contrasted with thickly lumed applied indices and gold hands along with a gunmetal titanium case/bracelet
- Strong lume which can last for hours
- Good customer service. See the videos/photos below which Proxima sent me before shipping the watch.

Bad:
- Bezel has significant backplay, around 1/2 a minute
- Stamped stainless steel clasp feels flimsy
- AR is non-existent

Comments:
- I'm still not convinced on the functionality of the day function since the day text is color matched to the dial i.e. you can only see it when under lume
- I'm not sure if this actually is Grade 5 titanium since I've already noticed some hairline scratches on the bracelet after 2 days of use.
- In my opinion, I would prefer if they used a date-less hi-beat movement e.g. PT5000 or 9015 and would pay at most 400 USD, if they also upgraded the clasp.

Pictures are on my 6.75 inch / 17.15 cm wrist

Proxima pre-shipment deliverables:

If you don't mind, could you also repost this in the watch review section?
viewforum.php?f=36
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
aldi
MoT Member

Post by aldi »

TheJohnP wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:50 am If you don't mind, could you also repost this in the watch review section?
viewforum.php?f=36
OK done.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2040

I do apologize for the visual clutter. In retrospect, my post was best suited as a standalone thread.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

aldi wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:56 am
TheJohnP wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:50 am If you don't mind, could you also repost this in the watch review section?
viewforum.php?f=36
OK done.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2040

I do apologize for the visual clutter. In retrospect, my post was best suited as a standalone thread.
Nothing to apologize for.
Great post and deserved to be shared in the review section as well!

Please keep sharing your thoughts.
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I ordered this over a month ago when it showed up as available randomly on Amazon.
Until I opened the box, I was fairly convinced this was going to be some other **** Time watch.
But here we are, I've got the Starlight now.

Click Icon To Contact Me

cheddar
MoT Member

Show Off Your New Watch

Post by cheddar »

TheJohnP wrote:I ordered this over a month ago when it showed up as available randomly on Amazon.
Until I opened the box, I was fairly convinced this was going to be some other **** Time watch.
But here we are, I've got the Starlight now.

Oh nice, love that watch but gave up on trying to find it due to secondary prices. Congrats!