We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by Split-Time »

yinzburgher wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:49 am A trio of noobs came in but I haven't worn any of them yet. My Citizen NJ0100-89L, Freddy C Junior, and Seiko Samurai SRPB55. The Sami's bezel lines up at 12 o'clock but the chapter ring is way off. A previous version of myself used to order 2, keep the better one and sell the other. I really should have done that this time. I'm getting stupider. :?

I really like the look of the Freddy. I had to look up the specs to see that the case is 38.5mm and they really do call it "junior" and designed it "for young gentleman 12-16 years of age." :oops: Maybe that's just a marketing thing and shouldn't bother me.

It seems to be a thing with Seiko, but how can they let watches get out as off as that?
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Split-Time wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:47 am
yinzburgher wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:49 am A trio of noobs came in but I haven't worn any of them yet. My Citizen NJ0100-89L, Freddy C Junior, and Seiko Samurai SRPB55. The Sami's bezel lines up at 12 o'clock but the chapter ring is way off. A previous version of myself used to order 2, keep the better one and sell the other. I really should have done that this time. I'm getting stupider. :?

I really like the look of the Freddy. I had to look up the specs to see that the case is 38.5mm and they really do call it "junior" and designed it "for young gentleman 12-16 years of age." :oops: Maybe that's just a marketing thing and shouldn't bother me.

It seems to be a thing with Seiko, but how can they let watches get out as off as that?
Thanks, me too. Yea, somebody mentioned the same thing about the FC when I posted it in the deals thread. While I agree that bit of marketing is strange, that sort of stuff doesn't really bother me a great deal. It may have worked in my advantage as far as pricing goes in that it decreases the demand. Other people don't want to buy a teenager's watch. But I don't really care. I'm more looking at the design, the style, the size, the finishing, the integrity, the specifications, the movement rather than the labels/marketing/intended customer. It might actually have been even better if it was considered a ladies watch. There is in fact a ladies watch out there that I occasionally look for my own collection if I can get it at the right price. One of the reasons I bought the FC is because I've always seen people talking up the watches but most don't appeal to me. I actually like this one so it was one of my few opportunities to try the brand. I try not to bash brands too much bc I really don't care that much what other people like and I'm not looking to insult someone else's tastes just because I don't quite understand them. To each their own. But people's love of FC has always kind of puzzled me. They make these 44mm dress watches. And the irony I think is that when a guy with a normal or large wrist wears one of these behemoths, it looks like a teenager's wrist in the photos due to the large proportions of the watch. Also FC cases, while nice and tasteful and classic, are very plain and simple. Not necessarily a bad thing.....it's worked for the Explorer and the Calatrava. Maybe that is part of the appeal. Anyway, I don't think this watch is a long term keeper for me but I plan to enjoy it while I have it. Another comment in the deals thread was about the date window. I know the majority of folks dislike this sort of aperture but I will always know what yesterday's date was and what tomorrow's date will be while others will be clueless. ;) As far a Seiko alignment goes, that could be a topic for a whole thread by itself. I've often had better luck with alignment with Seiko's 6R15 watches while I find 7S26 and 4R36 watches to be frequently not up to snuff......and this one is a 4R36. As long as people (myself included) continue to buy them, I guess they don't have much reason to improve. But I should think they would want to improve just to take pride in their product and work. At this point I know what to expect from Seiko so I guess I really only have myself to blame.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

yinzburgher wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:27 pm
Split-Time wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:47 am

Thanks, me too. Yea, somebody mentioned the same thing about the FC when I posted it in the deals thread. While I agree that bit of marketing is strange, that sort of stuff doesn't really bother me a great deal. It may have worked in my advantage as far as pricing goes in that it decreases the demand. Other people don't want to buy a teenager's watch. But I don't really care. I'm more looking at the design, the style, the size, the finishing, the integrity, the specifications, the movement rather than the labels/marketing/intended customer. It might actually have been even better if it was considered a ladies watch. There is in fact a ladies watch out there that I occasionally look for my own collection if I can get it at the right price. One of the reasons I bought the FC is because I've always seen people talking up the watches but most don't appeal to me. I actually like this one so it was one of my few opportunities to try the brand. I try not to bash brands too much bc I really don't care that much what other people like and I'm not looking to insult someone else's tastes just because I don't quite understand them. To each their own. But people's love of FC has always kind of puzzled me. They make these 44mm dress watches. And the irony I think is that when a guy with a normal or large wrist wears one of these behemoths, it looks like a teenager's wrist in the photos due to the large proportions of the watch. Also FC cases, while nice and tasteful and classic, are very plain and simple. Not necessarily a bad thing.....it's worked for the Explorer and the Calatrava. Maybe that is part of the appeal. Anyway, I don't think this watch is a long term keeper for me but I plan to enjoy it while I have it. Another comment in the deals thread was about the date window. I know the majority of folks dislike this sort of aperture but I will always know what yesterday's date was and what tomorrow's date will be while others will be clueless. ;) As far a Seiko alignment goes, that could be a topic for a whole thread by itself. I've often had better luck with alignment with Seiko's 6R15 watches while I find 7S26 and 4R36 watches to be frequently not up to snuff......and this one is a 4R36. As long as people (myself included) continue to buy them, I guess they don't have much reason to improve. But I should think they would want to improve just to take pride in their product and work. At this point I know what to expect from Seiko so I guess I really only have myself to blame.
I really do like it, but personally don't love the date window. However, I commented about the same type window on a Raymond Weil dive watch and someone pointed out that it may be for times when the minute hand is blocking the current date. That changed my opinion somewhat. If there is a design reason for that...very well, and I'm happy to have learned something. I'm fairly new to this hobby to I learn something everyday.

As for the size, I just ordered a 36mm that I hope will become a primary wearer and 38.5 sounds pretty "normal" to me. :lol:

I would also like to try a FC someday so I will be looking forward to your thoughts on this one.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

This guy just showed up. It's amazing, I'm very impressed with the polishing and the bracelet.

Video:
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Managed to get this up and running. Hard to believe it's over 45 years old

Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

My first watch of 2020 is my last purchase of 2019. I have been wanting a GMT to wear that does not look like a Rolex homage, and this Glycine Airman No 1 36mm ticked a lot of boxes. Thanks to [mention]yinzburgher[/mention] who sort of pushed me over the edge. ;)

Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:57 pm My first watch of 2020 is my last purchase of 2019. I have been wanting a GMT to wear that does not look like a Rolex homage, and this Glycine Airman No 1 36mm ticked a lot of boxes. Thanks to @yinzburgher who sort of pushed me over the edge. ;)

Lovely watch you have there pal. Enjoy it. I certainly enjoy wearing mine. Welcome to the Airman club. 8-)
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:57 pm My first watch of 2020 is my last purchase of 2019. I have been wanting a GMT to wear that does not look like a Rolex homage, and this Glycine Airman No 1 36mm ticked a lot of boxes. Thanks to @yinzburgher who sort of pushed me over the edge. ;)

8-) Looks great! Love the lugs and the plexi.....and I always love a stainless steel bezel. Enjoy! I'm renewing my own No 1 search.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Animal Mother wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:04 pm

Lovely watch you have there pal. Enjoy it. I certainly enjoy wearing mine. Welcome to the Airman club. 8-)
Thank you. I'm starting to wish I had joined the club a little earlier!
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:11 pm

8-) Looks great! Love the lugs and the plexi.....and I always love a stainless steel bezel. Enjoy! I'm renewing my own No 1 search.
I'm loving the dome, bezel and lugs, too. So vintage. I ended up going to the office today, even though I planned to be off, so things were pretty busy. Several times I checked my wrist for the time and it was almost a surprise to look at this piece. It is so different from what I normally wear and have become accustomed to.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:57 pm

I'm loving the dome, bezel and lugs, too. So vintage. I ended up going to the office today, even though I planned to be off, so things were pretty busy. Several times I checked my wrist for the time and it was almost a surprise to look at this piece. It is so different from what I normally wear and have become accustomed to.

That's the stuff right there.......a brand spanking new watch with vintage appeal, and a brand new proven and reliable movement. 💚 A bit jealous, just until I track mine down, that is.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Split-Time wrote:

Beautiful watch! Did yours arrive all aligned? My Airman came with the gmt hand misaligned

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Just arrived! Thing is beautiful!

#throwback to my first Hamilton. Wish I had kept it. Ended returning it.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

whoagorgeous wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 pm Just arrived! Thing is beautiful!

#throwback to my first Hamilton. Wish I had kept it. Ended returning it.
Very, very nice! Congratulations!
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

First of all, I think the way CW ships their watches is really cool. Really like the box. And impressed at how quick it gets here.
Also, the sale bracelet I ordered does not fit this variant of C65. It's too thick. So I'll need to send that back and think if I want to buy a full price bracelet.
The aged strap it came with is really cool. But not wearing it for now in case there watch goes back with the bracelet. Quick release though so I'll need to look for my extra 22mm spring bars. Threw it in this Barton strap for now.

ImageImage

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33