We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by whoagorgeous »

recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

This Farer Charlton just arrived. This watch has been on my 'Want to Try' list for a while, so when I saw a good deal on a pristine example with bracelet I took the plunge.

As you can see it's a stunning watch and when in-hand you can tell it’s exceptionally well made, but I can already tell it's a catch & release. Something about it just isn't clicking with me. The blue of the dial is striking but is a little too iridescent for my liking. And the dial material looks almost like it's made out of acrylic. Not that it's bad in any way, it's just not my taste when I see it in person. That being said, I think a lot of people would fall in love instantly.

It also wears a little bigger than I had hoped. I thought the 40.5 size would be counterbalanced by the thinness and short length, but both of those measurements are bigger than advertised, unfortunately.

The length is advertised at 44 but I measure it at 46. The thickness is advertised as 11.75 but I measure 12.5. Those are still VERY attractive measurements on paper but I find that it wears large on my extremely picky wrist. I included a photo that compares it to two 40mm watches in my collection that I think wear really well. You can get a sense of how it just comes across as a larger watch despite the 40.5mm case.

Given all the other watches I'd rather have (or at least try) I need to find this one a new home :(
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

I can understand where you are coming from regarding the blue dial [mention]recapt[/mention]. It jumped out at me immediately and I wasn’t expecting that. As you said, still a really nice watch and I am sure it will find a good home.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Just came in a couple of hours ago. I'm in love, such a nice watch.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Stretch44 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:15 pm Just came in a couple of hours ago. I'm in love, such a nice watch.

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Quick pic of this new arrival- the sunburst gray dial and polished bezel are gorgeous, and the mini SKX case is fantastic.
PXL_20210508_161943132.jpg
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Scratched my snowflake hands itch. The blue sunray dial with gilt trim is fun. The clasp is "meh". I'll check the lume later. The case is rather tall. Not a fan of an exhibition back on a diver. A blue tropical strap was included. Well packaged with foam to support its flight from China. Overall, a decent buy at $220.

Just my $0.02 USD as always.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Alpina Gyre in 36mm (for ladies apparently; the men's version is 44mm). Second time lucky (first time the watch was delivered...without the watch - only the watch box was sent to me..).

The black gyre case, the star of the show, that's made from ocean waste is really nice - it's light but it does not feel like cheap plastic. Should be able to withstand scratches well. The stock NATO and box are also made from ocean waste and recycled materials. Alpina donates $100 from each sale to the National Park Foundation.

The square-ish base of the case likely makes the watch wear larger; it extends beyond the 36mm bezel.

The AR on the crystal is well done. Most of the time I don't see any reflection at all. This likely contributes to...

Great legibility.

The blue is brighter irl; I take terrible photos.

I haven't formally measured its accuracy but so far it's been +3 to +5s within 12 hours.

I put it on an 18mm 1-piece Yellow Dog strap I have to see how it fit on my wrist as I did not want to unwrap the buckle of the stock NATO.

The spare leather straps they sent with the watch are actually for the 44mm variant haha.

Not sure if I am keeping yet... I have some time to think about it. It does make me realize I love smaller watches.
Gyre 1.jpg
Gyre 2.jpg
WPybus
MoT Member

Post by WPybus »

Great Alpina there [mention]pdsf[/mention] it has been on my watchlist!! And that size looks bang on!
WPybus
MoT Member

Post by WPybus »

3487CE8C-FC08-4EAF-9DD7-C75A6838BA45.jpeg
I finally cracked and got a new Nivada!!
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

WPybus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:01 am Great Alpina there @pdsf it has been on my watchlist!! And that size looks bang on!
Thanks! It does fit better than I expected. Your new Nivada looks very nice. Just checked the specs - great allrounder!
balcorn80
MoT Member

Post by balcorn80 »

WPybus wrote:
3487CE8C-FC08-4EAF-9DD7-C75A6838BA45.jpeg
I finally cracked and got a new Nivada!!
I'd love to see one in person... I have a handful of vintage Nivadas and this reboot kinda excited me.
I'm Kinda bummed I missed out on the Depthmasters... By the time I decided I could spend the dough on one they were sold out...
KIMG0788.jpg
Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Just my $0.02 USD as always.
bocbass
MoT Member

Post by bocbass »

Happy 40th birthday to me.
Landed_Alien
MoT Member

Post by Landed_Alien »

New to me, courtesy of [mention]Stretch44[/mention]'s downsizing.
PXL_20210514_173458692_r.jpg