Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by watchpalooza »

This just in...
81E801EC-9ED7-451B-9203-5D68EFB80844.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Here is my latest arrival from Tokyo- SBDY059 (JDM version of SRPE29K1), stock with Seiko's misaligned chapter ring print. Some quick photos before heading out to the mountains for a long weekend...

Living a comeback montage.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

peskydonut wrote:Here is my latest arrival from Tokyo- SBDY059 (JDM version of SRPE29K1), stock with Seiko's misaligned chapter ring print. Some quick photos before heading out to the mountains for a long weekend...

These new mini Tunas look great. I'm tempted to grab one if I see a good deal but doubt it'd be a keeper since I have a sbbn033 already. I love the lume bezel on them though!
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Seikos confuse me. I fail to understand the attraction with widespread misalignment / QC issues.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:15 pm Seikos confuse me. I fail to understand the attraction with widespread misalignment / QC issues.
Well...I can't speak for others, but in my case, it's pretty straightforward...I liked the look of the watch, so I bought it. Wasn't planning on misalignment, but that's what I got. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would I rather have a watch that's properly aligned? Of course. Do I have more pressing things to be preoccupied with than a 1/4mm imperfection on my luxury item? You bet.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

peskydonut wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:39 pm
watchpalooza wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:15 pm Seikos confuse me. I fail to understand the attraction with widespread misalignment / QC issues.
Well...I can't speak for others, but in my case, it's pretty straightforward...I liked the look of the watch, so I bought it. Wasn't planning on misalignment, but that's what I got. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would I rather have a watch that's properly aligned? Of course. Do I have more pressing things to be preoccupied with than a 1/4mm imperfection on my luxury item? You bet.
The watch is beautiful. Not a criticism at all....just surprised Seiko doesn‘t do something about it since it is pretty well-known. And hopefully the more expensive Seikos (> $600) don‘t have the same issues?
Click Icon To Contact Me

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:43 pm

The watch is beautiful. Not a criticism at all....just surprised Seiko doesn‘t do something about it since it is pretty well-known. And hopefully the more expensive Seikos (> $600) don‘t have the same issues?
No offense taken. I completely agreed on Seiko; it would behoove then to fix their QC issues. For what it's worth, I have a few Seikos and this is the first one with alignment issues. Both of the CW Dartmouths I received had slightly misaligned print on the bezel.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

peskydonut wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:09 pm Image

:shock:

I'mnotbuyinganotherwatchI'mnotbuyinganotherwatchI'mnotbuyinganotherwatch.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

ManOnTime wrote:

We both know that's not true.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

peskydonut wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:06 pm
ManOnTime wrote:

We both know that's not true.
If it were solar, I already would have. If I buy another Tuna, I want a solar one.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

From a business perspective they see no need to improve as long as they keep moving product.

Can't speak to the buyer's rationale though
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:43 pm

I don’t know why they don’t fix this either. It is probably a minority of people that notice it/care. If people buy the watches as they are then why address what is essentially a non-issue. On the other hand, the misaligned chapter ring is a craftsmanship/workmanship issue. If they allow poor detail work that you can see, just think of what they allow where you can’t see it.

I am not saying that there are internal issues, but once you see something like this over and over then doubts of the general quality surely creep into the heads of at least some potential customers.

That isn’t to say that Seiko doesn’t make good watches, they clearly do. Just with their move to go up-market you would think that there would be enough extra margin to address this issue and show people they care about the details that people obsess over.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

TheJohnP wrote:
From a business perspective they see no need to improve as long as they keep moving product.

I'm not sure what "buyer's rationale" there is to speak of. The rationale is the same as when you go to the grocery store and expect the food that you buy to not be spoiled or expecting the car that you purchase to be without flaws. The baseline expectation is to exchange money for goods; goods that are provided as advertised.

Is the implication that consumers are to blame because they don't collectively take action against Seiko (i.e. boycott or lawsuit)?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

peskydonut wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:30 pm
TheJohnP wrote:

I'm not sure what "buyer's rationale" there is to speak of. The rationale is the same as when you go to the grocery store and expect the food that you buy to not be spoiled or expecting the car that you purchase to be without flaws. The baseline expectation is to exchange money for goods; goods that are provided as advertised.

Is the implication that consumers are to blame because they don't collectively take action against Seiko (i.e. boycott or lawsuit)?
All I am implying is it seems everyone either complains and/or jokes about alignment issues with Seiko. But continue to buy them. Does the fault fall to Seiko?

As long as Seiko keeps selling heaps of watches with issues and no consumer blowback, they have no reason to improve. Or maybe there are people complaining to Seiko? I'm just watching from well past the sidelines.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

The thought of a flat dark earth dive watch has never crossed my mind, but "wow!" Very cool [mention]peskydonut[/mention] . Enjoy your time in the mountains!