Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
cortman
MoT Member

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by cortman »

Got my Eterna!

quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

Rabirnie wrote: Thank you kindly! I’m loving it so far. The lines and finishing on the case, the gilt that sucks to photograph but in person is immense, high beat Miyota (I haven’t noticed the unidirectional winding yet), and just the thinness makes it hug the wrist.

It probably helps/stands out more because it easily became the most expensive piece in my modest collection. I’d love to compare it to some more comparably priced offerings out there to see how it really stacks up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ikr! If I don't already own the Carolina, I would have jumped on this!

Like you said, 28.8k movement, thin, great finishing, Gilt dial...

Wear it in good health!
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

TheJohnP wrote:There's a little bit of dial, but trying out a new strap.

Really great combo. I love how all the colors match up.
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

cortman wrote:Got my Eterna!

I'm just blown away by all these really charming new acquisitions.

I don't think it is easy to get the white right. Your eterna has that very very classic look done exactly right. Love it!

Meanwhile, here's my new watch

ImageImage
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

quincas wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:45 am
cortman wrote:Got my Eterna!
I'm just blown away by all these really charming new acquisitions.

I don't think it is easy to get the white right. Your eterna has that very very classic look done exactly right. Love it!

Meanwhile, here's my new watch

ImageImage
Thank you! I agree that it's done very well.
That Citizen is a beauty too! Love the polished chamfers, really elevates an otherwise stark modern look.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

whoagorgeous wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:54 pm Minus the cheapy strap, I think this is perfect. Will be Gifting this to my dad next month for his birthday and will be replacing his Glycine combat.

ImageImage
Today's his birthday. I want one for myself now lol.

vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

Finally received the Octon I ordered from the HUISABH thread back in May. COVID-related delays pushed it back, but better late than never. It was going to be my summer watch, so at least there's still some summer left.

One difference from what I spec'd at order time is that I was notified they didn't receive enough Lunar Blue dive bezels, so I opted for a silver 12-hour bezel which I think works nicely. I prefer 12-hour bezels anyway.

It arrived in a nice Pelican-style case:

Inside, there was the watch on a bracelet, two extra straps, a black rubber strap and a royal blue Perlon (the extra was included to make up for the delay), two Octon-branded screwdrivers, and an Octon-branded spring bar tool.

Haven't sized the bracelet yet, but it looks good and should be comfortable if you can size it.

Unfortunately, the reason I haven't sized it is that it's an exercise in frustration. You'd think screwed links would make it a doddle, but there's something wrong as the screws just seem to turn endlessly (and no, they aren't split pins, they really are screws). Looks like one on each side, which is weird, and you have to hold one side in place while unscrewing the other (maybe that's why they included two screwdrivers). Which means it's probably going on a C&B Chevron sooner rather than later.

Anyway, there you go. I like it overall, though I wish the bracelet was normal. And I still get some summer wrist time with it.

Tap. Talk. Buy a watch. Repeat.

Last edited by vta_watch on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

larand wrote:Finally received the Octon I ordered from the HUISABH thread back in May. COVID-related delays pushed it back, but better late than never. It was going to be my summer watch, so at least there's still some summer left.

One difference from what I spec'd at order time is that I was notified they didn't receive enough Lunar Blue dive bezels, so I opted for a silver 12-hour bezel which I think works nicely. I prefer 12-hour bezels anyway.

It arrived in a nice Pelican-style case:

Inside, there was the watch on a bracelet, two extra straps, a black rubber strap and a royal blue Perlon (the extra was included to make up for the delay), two Octon-branded screwdrivers, and an unbranded spring bar tool.

Haven't sized the bracelet yet, but it looks good and should be comfortable if you can size it.

Unfortunately, the reason I haven't sized it is that it's an exercise in frustration. You'd think screwed links would make it a doddle, but there's something wrong as the screws just seem to turn endlessly (and no, they aren't split pins, they really are screws). Looks like one on each side, which is weird, and you have to hold one side in place while unscrewing the other (maybe that's why they included two screwdrivers). Which means it's probably going on a C&B Chevron sooner rather than later.

Anyway, there you go. I like it overall, though I wish the bracelet was normal. And I still get some summer wrist time with it.

Tap. Talk. Buy a watch. Repeat.
The one watch I have that has screwed lugs is like that: there’s a screw on one side that screws into the threads in the lugbar, but the lugbar also is slotted and you have to use a second screwdriver or your fingernail to keep it stationary while screwing the screw in.
Klaatu3
MoT Member

Post by Klaatu3 »

New Zelos Swordfish 40mm, from the sold-out launch special last week. Delivered from Singapore to my wrist (in Texas) in 1 week--not bad.
z009ER.jpg
z001ER.jpg
z002ER.jpg
- Klaatu3

"I don't have time to set all these &%#* watches!"
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Alright this has already been debuted on Discord- now I am able to show it off here. Finally got my real only attainable grail. Feels pretty good, even though it's a bit more worn than I had expected in some areas.

Without further ado... the Fortis Official Cosmonauts Chronograph Exclusive MoT Unboxing Experience! :lol:

Extra straps were included.

All included with the sale. Stock bracelet too which I was pretty pleased about.

Here's where things got a bit hairy. The box is completely falling apart. I don't know if it got doused with some kind of chemical or something but the pleather and foam inside is sticky and coming off in ugly chunks. The foam had been touching the watch crystal when the box was closed, and when I opened it big sticky chunks came off and stuck to the watch. It sure was an ugly mess.
A few minutes and a bunch of windex and paper towels later, things are looking presentable. I also put it on the stock bracelet right away.

And the watch itself!

Wound up being already sized perfectly.

The size is just dreamy. 38mm case diameter, 45mm lug to lug, 13.7mm thick, 20mm lug width. The fit is just so perfect.

There was some wear I wasn't expecting on this watch. The lume plots at 10 and 35 are gone. The lume plot at 25 is hanging crooked, by a thread. There are a number of either nicks in the external AR or else dust specks under the crystal. The 12 hour register hand doesn't snap back exactly to 12.

But it's still such a cool watch. And even with the imperfections (and this is a 20+ year old watch) I think I will be keeping it. It came with box, paperwork (including unsigned warranty card) and bracelet with extra links, which is an extremely rare find these days. Plus it has just (within the last couple months) undergone a complete movement service and gasket replacement, complete with pressure testing, so this should be good to wear for years.
It's been an interesting experience acquiring a grail. I'm not really a grail person. I don't generally have a ton of interest in very expensive (for me, $1k+) watches. This watch has been kind of an exception- it's one that caught my eye early on in my watch journey, from an Urban Gentry video, and has always stuck in the back of my mind. The only other watch that may occupy "grail" position for me may be the Breitling Navitimer.
I'm a stickler about buying watches with boxes and paperwork and full kit. I collect a number of other things and that mindset has carried over into watches. But with these Fortis Cosmonauts that's a fairly rare find. I'm really pleased that not only was I able to get a "grail", it was a good, complete example of it.

I can never predict how a watch will stick. Some I've thought I would never sell, some I thought would just be a quick trial purchase and wound up staying around. I think this one will be around for a while. It may finally be the chronograph that sticks with me, and certainly my end-game space/pilots watch.

As a teaser there will be a pretty fun strap coming for this watch courtesy of [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] - who very kindly is sending it gratis. Pics will be forthcoming!

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

cortman wrote:Alright this has already been debuted on Discord- now I am able to show it off here. Finally got my real only attainable grail. Feels pretty good, even though it's a bit more worn than I had expected in some areas.

Without further ado... the Fortis Official Cosmonauts Chronograph Exclusive MoT Unboxing Experience! [emoji38]

All included with the sale. Stock bracelet too which I was pretty pleased about.

Here's where things got a bit hairy. The box is completely falling apart. I don't know if it got doused with some kind of chemical or something but the pleather and foam inside is sticky and coming off in ugly chunks. The foam had been touching the watch crystal when the box was closed, and when I opened it big sticky chunks came off and stuck to the watch. It sure was an ugly mess.
A few minutes and a bunch of windex and paper towels later, things are looking presentable. I also put it on the stock bracelet right away.

And the watch itself!

The size is just dreamy. 38mm case diameter, 45mm lug to lug, 13.7mm thick, 20mm lug width. The fit is just so perfect.

There was some wear I wasn't expecting on this watch. The lume plots at 10 and 35 are gone. The lume plot at 25 is hanging crooked, by a thread. There are a number of either nicks in the external AR or else dust specks under the crystal. The 12 hour register hand doesn't snap back exactly to 12.

But it's still such a cool watch. And even with the imperfections (and this is a 20+ year old watch) I think I will be keeping it. It came with box, paperwork (including unsigned warranty card) and bracelet with extra links, which is an extremely rare find these days. Plus it has just (within the last couple months) undergone a complete movement service and gasket replacement, complete with pressure testing, so this should be good to wear for years.
It's been an interesting experience acquiring a grail. I'm not really a grail person. I don't generally have a ton of interest in very expensive (for me, $1k+) watches. This watch has been kind of an exception- it's one that caught my eye early on in my watch journey, from an Urban Gentry video, and has always stuck in the back of my mind. The only other watch that may occupy "grail" position for me may be the Breitling Navitimer.
I'm a stickler about buying watches with boxes and paperwork and full kit. I collect a number of other things and that mindset has carried over into watches. But with these Fortis Cosmonauts that's a fairly rare find. I'm really pleased that not only was I able to get a "grail", it was a good, complete example of it.

I can never predict how a watch will stick. Some I've thought I would never sell, some I thought would just be a quick trial purchase and wound up staying around. I think this one will be around for a while. It may finally be the chronograph that sticks with me, and certainly my end-game space/pilots watch.

As a teaser there will be a pretty fun strap coming for this watch courtesy of [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] - who very kindly is sending it gratis. Pics will be forthcoming!

Congrats man! Such a cool watch. Fortis is a brand I would love to own one day

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
BATMAN
MoT Member

Post by BATMAN »

cortman wrote:Alright this has already been debuted on Discord- now I am able to show it off here. Finally got my real only attainable grail. Feels pretty good, even though it's a bit more worn than I had expected in some areas.

Without further ado... the Fortis Official Cosmonauts Chronograph Exclusive MoT Unboxing Experience! [emoji38]

And the watch itself!

Sweet watch and it fits you perfectly

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Gorem
MoT Member

Post by Gorem »

My Zelos swordfish is here

tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

cortman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:16 pm Alright this has already been debuted on Discord- now I am able to show it off here. Finally got my real only attainable grail. Feels pretty good, even though it's a bit more worn than I had expected in some areas.

Without further ado... the Fortis Official Cosmonauts Chronograph Exclusive MoT Unboxing Experience! :lol:

And the watch itself!

As a teaser there will be a pretty fun strap coming for this watch courtesy of @Sporkboy - who very kindly is sending it gratis. Pics will be forthcoming!

Very cool watch, love the size never saw this watch before I can see why it was your grail watch!

Were you able to workout a deal with the seller regarding the condition, they must not have shown nice sharp close-ups, or mention the case issue ect.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

tjcdas wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:35 am Very cool watch, love the size never saw this watch before I can see why it was your grail watch!

Were you able to workout a deal with the seller regarding the condition, they must not have shown nice sharp close-ups, or mention the case issue ect.
Thank you! I'm really enjoying it so far.
I'm still communicating with the seller. The pictures were blurry and not very good. A bit of a risk, but ebay sellers are pretty protective of their feedback so I'm going to wait to give that until things are resolved.