As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by Split-Time »

PetrosD wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:54 pm After considering a couple of other higher end watches, finally decided to go with the Moon watch. This one's going to fun to try with different straps. This one is on a Ritche silicone strap.Image
Congratulations! A classic for sure.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Show Off Your New Watch

Post by Sporkboy »

What’s up with all the new Chronographs on here lately? Are there subliminal messages going through the forum somehow? Perhaps we are developing a hive mind of sorts. I just picked up this beautiful Timex military Chrono and finished cleaning it up. I don’t always see them on the original bracelet, so that was a plus. I was the only bidder at $30, so maybe everyone was on vacation as these usually don’t go that low.

This feels like a solid $30 keeper to me as it is a good size for me and just feels right. I do have a thing for sub 40mm black dial field watches, so that might be it.

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:34 am What’s up with all the new Chronographs on here lately? Are there subliminal messages going through the forum somehow? Perhaps we are developing a hive mind of sorts.

Well I suspect there will likely be one holdout at the very least. Not a chrono fan myself.

Although I do own one that my wife gave me. But since it is a 50+mm Invicta, not one for regular rotation!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:34 am What’s up with all the new Chronographs on here lately? Are there subliminal messages going through the forum somehow? Perhaps we are developing a hive mind of sorts. I just picked up this beautiful Timex military Chrono and finished cleaning it up. I don’t always see them on the original bracelet, so that was a plus. I was the only bidder at $30, so maybe everyone was on vacation as these usually don’t go that low.

This feels like a solid $30 keeper to me as it is a good size for me and just feels right. I do have a thing for sub 40mm black dial field watches, so that might be it.

I think that might be my old watch! The one I had (and sold) had a scratch on the crystal in the same place and roughly the same length.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Here's another chronograph to add to the collective, and another Timex to boot. ;)
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190822100729616_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190822100729616_COVER.jpg (164.41 KiB) Viewed 8518 times
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

I've been meaning to post here since this watch arrived. I guess I've had it about 2 weeks now and all I can say is this is a German beast!
Very well made and feels great on the wrist.i have a thin flat wrist and it sits very nicely.
Extremely accurate movement. From the few timing records I've done, it runs about 2-5sec fast a day, but if I leave it flat on the counter it slows down and catches up and even out almost spot on!
What I love most about it is it's versatility. It has a nice sporty look but the polished surface dresses it up a bit. I've worn it on bracelet, leather, and NATO (soon will try it on rubber tropic). It looks good in all situations.
The lume is outstanding. Extremely bright and lasts throughout the night.
I could not be happier with this purchase!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Bbrou33 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:04 am I've been meaning to post here since this watch arrived. I guess I've had it about 2 weeks now and all I can say is this is a German beast!
Very well made and feels great on the wrist.i have a thin flat wrist and it sits very nicely.
Extremely accurate movement. From the few timing records I've done, it runs about 2-5sec fast a day, but if I leave it flat on the counter it slows down and catches up and even out almost spot on!
What I love most about it is it's versatility. It has a nice sporty look but the polished surface dresses it up a bit. I've worn it on bracelet, leather, and NATO (soon will try it on rubber tropic). It looks good in all situations.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Versatile may be an understatement! I really liked it on the bracelet more than I anticipated when I saw it in the LWDS thread, but some of your other combos are just fantastic. Very happy for you!
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Thanks to the heads-up by [mention]Grailroad[/mention] my Timex Snoopy "Journey to Deep Space" watch arrived this weekend! I was opening the box and my wife asked, "What is that, a new watch? Did you get a deal." I said, "Nope! Paid full retail." She has already threatened to leave me if I purchase a speedmaster without her knowledge (I would never do that). So as I'm opening the package I said, "this is a space watch." 8-) She peeked over my shoulder and sort of chuckled when she saw it. Wore it to church yesterday but our four-year old hasn't noticed yet.

This is my first Timex and my first Snoopy watch that I know of. I has a very loud tick and the second hands don't hit the marks. Other than that I am very happy! It is a fun watch.
IMG_7570.jpg
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Bbrou33 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:04 am I've been meaning to post here since this watch arrived. I guess I've had it about 2 weeks now and all I can say is this is a German beast!
Looks great! Didn't realize it came with the bracelet too. I especially like that leather but it will really look good on anything. And I'm surprised by the lume. At some point I hope to own a Sinn and a 104 will definitely be in the running. Enjoy it!
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Split-Time wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:41 am Thanks to the heads-up by @Grailroad my Timex Snoopy "Journey to Deep Space" watch arrived this weekend! I was opening the box and my wife asked, "What is that, a new watch? Did you get a deal." I said, "Nope! Paid full retail." She has already threatened to leave me if I purchase a speedmaster without her knowledge (I would never do that). So as I'm opening the package I said, "this is a space watch." 8-) She peeked over my shoulder and sort of chuckled when she saw it. Wore it to church yesterday but our four-year old hasn't noticed yet.

This is my first Timex and my first Snoopy watch that I know of. I has a very loud tick and the second hands don't hit the marks. Other than that I am very happy! It is a fun watch.

IMG_7570.jpg
Very cool! Indiglo shot when you get a chance please!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=63
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Split-Time wrote:Thanks to the heads-up by [mention]Grailroad[/mention] my Timex Snoopy "Journey to Deep Space" watch arrived this weekend! I was opening the box and my wife asked, "What is that, a new watch? Did you get a deal." I said, "Nope! Paid full retail." She has already threatened to leave me if I purchase a speedmaster without her knowledge (I would never do that). So as I'm opening the package I said, "this is a space watch." 8-) She peeked over my shoulder and sort of chuckled when she saw it. Wore it to church yesterday but our four-year old hasn't noticed yet.

IMG_7570.jpg
This is an awesome watch! I keep saying I'll get a Timex and I think a Snoopy version is very high on the list to be the one! Although they do make a few LSU watches sooo maybe I'll get 2

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

yinzburgher wrote:
Looks great! Didn't realize it came with the bracelet too. I especially like that leather but it will really look good on anything. And I'm surprised by the lume. At some point I hope to own a Sinn and a 104 will definitely be in the running. Enjoy it!
I hope you're able to get one! I didn't think I'd like the H link bracelet but I'm digging it now that I'm wearing it.
Just checked watch recon and a few blue and grey dials for sale. Really like the look of both. The grey strap is really enticing and I may grab one. (Strap, not watch. The gf would kill me if I got another expensive watch right now haha)
But owning this now really has me wanting another Sinn in the future.

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

yinzburgher wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:20 am
Split-Time wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:41 am Thanks to the heads-up by @Grailroad my Timex Snoopy "Journey to Deep Space" watch arrived this weekend! I was opening the box and my wife asked, "What is that, a new watch? Did you get a deal." I said, "Nope! Paid full retail." She has already threatened to leave me if I purchase a speedmaster without her knowledge (I would never do that). So as I'm opening the package I said, "this is a space watch." 8-) She peeked over my shoulder and sort of chuckled when she saw it. Wore it to church yesterday but our four-year old hasn't noticed yet.

IMG_7570.jpg
Very cool! Indiglo shot when you get a chance please!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=63
I posted something over there. Thank you for the suggestion! I misunderstood what Indiglo was...I thought it was their name for a fully lumed dial. I learn something every day ;)

Meanwhile, this thing is already on a nato. Not that I love natos and not that there was anything wrong with the leather band...it just didn't want to stay in a comfortable spot on my wrist.
IMG_7575.jpg
norsairius
MoT Member

Show Off Your New Watch

Post by norsairius »

Arrived today! Citizen Promaster "Fugu" NY0090-86E ordered from Dutyfreeisland shop 1 week ago to the day.

The watch is fantastic! I'm bummed that the movement doesn't hack, but hard to complain for the price. Solid endlinks and links in the bracelet are nice. Kinda stinks though that the clasp uses stamped steel and doesn't offer micro adjustments, especially because the watch is probably about half a link too big to my tastes. If I remove a link, it becomes too tight, so I've opted to let it be a bit loose. I might look into a clasp replacement sometime or just finding a replacement strap.

I may keep an eye out for the other color options sometime, but I'm very happy with this watch for now. I'm a fan of the signed/knurled crown, the 60-click bezel action, and the angry-looking puffer fish on the caseback. The dial is also a much deeper black than I expected and pictures can't quite capture it. The Asian language day wheel is also nice, if I decide to give it a try.

Edit: the character shown appears to be “5” in Chinese, so I don’t think it’s a Japanese day wheel as I originally noted. The watch is currently running in the time range where you shouldn’t change the date so I’ll be checking the day wheel again tomorrow.

Edit 2: Definitely a Chinese day wheel. Not a bad thing, of course!

Lume is decent, but blue lume also isn't typically as strong as green lume. That, and Citizen isn't exactly known for lume like Seiko is. Overall great watch! Glad I picked one up! Fits in nicely with all of my other divers, which easily make up more than half of my collection since they're my favorite type of watch.
20190826_221835840_iOS.jpg
20190826_222536698_iOS.jpg
20190826_221845923_iOS.jpg
20190826_222002884_iOS.jpg
20190826_223641664_iOS.jpg
Edit 3: The bracelet is fantastic with its solid endlinks and links, but the clasp is a pretty big downside on this one. It's not that comfortable and the lack of microadjustments, as noted above, means it's difficult to get an ideal fit. I've tried looking for aftermarket options, but I found an issue with this particular bracelet/clasp design. The NY009 divers' bracelets attach to one end that's 18mm (blue arrow in pic below) and then 16mm (red arrow) at the other. I don't know of any aftermarket replacement clasps that are made to accommodate that, unfortunately. I'm open to any recommendations if anyone knows of any though!
20190828_011922779_iOS.jpg
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

OK, I tend to fall in love with a style of watch and then start chasing the color ways. Happened with my Seiko SKX, Seiko KS, Timex Marlin, Sharkeys, HMT redials, Glycines and more. That's how I ended up with over 400 watches. Well, the Citizen Bullhead bug got me.....real bad. 3 color ways and nearly $850 later here they are:

$318 - Gold dial sourced from India, 100% certain this is a genuine barn find with all original dial, bracelet and serviced movement.

$298 - Blue dial sourced from Korea. Definitely a redial, wrong bracelet, but fully serviced original movement.

$225 - White dial sourced from Mexico. Another redial, new hands, new Crystal, new bezel, correct replacement Citizen bracelet, claimed serviced movement, but doubting it. We'll see.

I also purchased 2 Repro Citizen bullhead bracelets from the Phllippines for $75. The gold hit customs today, expecting the other 2 in 2 weeks.