My Father’s Seiko Speedtimer

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

My Father’s Seiko Speedtimer

Post by Sporkboy »

I am working with Terry at Toxic NATOs to have my father’s JDM Seiko Speedtimer service’s and to have a new crystal installed. I have been saving up to have this serviced for a while as you know how it is with mechanical chronographs. Anyway, this one has some personal history to it so while it isn’t a watch I would pick for myself, I am keen to get it back into rotation.

Below are some notes on the watch history followed by a few pictures of how it looks today.

Watch History
-Purchased in Japan on my parents’ honeymoon ~1978
-Chosen because my dad needed something waterproof for his work on an oil rig off the coast of South America. I mentioned that the watch isn’t known for waterproofness and my dad said, ‘well just look at it.’ 
-Worn hard for about 5 years including some hang gliding.
-When I asked if it had ever been serviced, my dad laughed at me.
-Gifted to me in ~95-96 and was told that it never needed a battery (I was in the environmental club at the time).
-shortly after receiving the watch I snapped a springbar with the Velcro strap it came to me on while riding a bicycle. It took a hard hit on concrete to the lugs as can be seen in some of the pictures
-It had been in a box, moved from place to place with me until 2017.
-Worn sparingly as a grocery store timer until I found that the chronograph was running slowly. It has been awaiting service for the past year or so.

recapt
MoT Member

Re: My Father’s Seiko Speedtimer

Post by recapt »

Super cool. Thanks for posting. Excited to see how it turns out.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

You're going to keep the original parts that are replaced, right?

Also, I'm interested in what the servicing costs, and who is performing it. I have a vintage Tissot chronograph (Lemania 1281) that needs servicing. PM me if you're comfortable discussing it.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Awesome watch and story. Can't wait to see results!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Awesome history to that watch. On top of all of that, and the sentimental value, the watch just has so much cool going on!
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Love those bullhead chronos. Eager to see the finished product.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:You're going to keep the original parts that are replaced, right?

Also, I'm interested in what the servicing costs, and who is performing it. I have a vintage Tissot chronograph (Lemania 1281) that needs servicing. PM me if you're comfortable discussing it.
Sure thing. I will PM you.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Super cool!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Thanks everybody. For some reason I didn’t think anyone would find this interesting. I will keep everyone posted on the details as they evolve.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:15 pm Thanks everybody. For some reason I didn’t think anyone would find this interesting. I will keep everyone posted on the details as they evolve.
That is a fantastic vintage piece, even better that it was your dad’s. I love the old bullheads....haven’t found one as nice as yours. A new crystal and a cleaning will really bringe it back. Can’t wait to see the after shots.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:15 pm Thanks everybody. For some reason I didn’t think anyone would find this interesting. I will keep everyone posted on the details as they evolve.
That is a fantastic vintage piece, even better that it was your dad’s. I love the old bullheads....haven’t found one as nice as yours. A new crystal and a cleaning will really bringe it back. Can’t wait to see the after shots.
Oh yes. I Am totally painting that caseback when I get it back.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Sporkboy wrote:
watchpalooza wrote:
Oh yes. I Am totally painting that caseback when I get it back.
Great piece and history. Not sure if this is what you meant, but a Sporkboy logo would certainly add value to the family history lineage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:
ManOnTime wrote:You're going to keep the original parts that are replaced, right?

Sure thing. I will PM you.
Hit me up too bud. I have a Pogue in need of a service.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:Thanks everybody. For some reason I didn’t think anyone would find this interesting. I will keep everyone posted on the details as they evolve.
Wrong! A vintage Seiko chrono?!? Of course I am interested! Love the story behind it too. Thanks for sharing, its a beauty.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:29 pm
Sporkboy wrote:Thanks everybody. For some reason I didn’t think anyone would find this interesting. I will keep everyone posted on the details as they evolve.
Wrong! A vintage Seiko chrono?!? Of course I am interested! Love the story behind it too. Thanks for sharing, its a beauty.

I do feel silly having not shared this watch and its story before and for thinking that it would be of no interest.

Thank you all for the compliments about the watch. I have owned it for over 20 years and I have never really appreciated it the way I should. Hopefully going through the repair and sharing this with all of you will help me gain a greater level of appreciation for this watch.

I look forward to getting to know this better and to share the journey with all of my friends here.