We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Let's talk G-Shocks, ProTreks, and other Casio's

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
AndyS
MoT Member

Let's talk G-Shocks, ProTreks, and other Casio's

Post by AndyS »

Been wanting to start a thread for G-shocks for awhile, and figure we could include other Casio's as well. So lets see and talk about your G-Shocks, your ProTreks, your Edifices, and maybe even your Oceanus' if you're fancy. Maybe even humble Casio Royales or Duros.

So here are a few of mine:

GWB5600AR-1
GWB5600AR 01.jpeg
DW5610 in aftermarket aged metal set
5610 Aged Metal 01.jpg
GA-1100
GA-1100 Wrist.jpg
GWX-5700CS before I stripped the paint off the bezel letters to black it out:
GWX-5700CS.jpg
PRG-600Y
ProTrek PRG-600Y-1CR.jpg
MDV-106 Duro
MDV-106 on black and red silicone.jpg
AndyS
MoT Member

Re: Let's talk G-Shocks, ProTreks, and other Casio's

Post by AndyS »

And for some news, these NASA squares are cool. Not really a white watch guy, but this one makes sense:

Hodinkee article.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Not much to contribute other than to say that I really want one of the new MIP LCD G-LIDE's, specifically the green one.

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

ManOnTime wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:35 pm Not much to contribute other than to say that I really want one of the new MIP LCD G-LIDE's, specifically the green one.

Those are cool. And like my GD-350, they seem to have a vibe alarm. A great feature. Used to always use it to track my kid's travel ball softball game times that were played based on a clock then finish the inning in many cases. Generally, they never put time on the scoreboard, only the umpires had it. Didn't want an audible alarm setting behind home plate (daughter's a catcher). So the GD-350's watched many softball games with me.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

My only two G-Shocks are Squares. They both get worn a fair amount. They seem to fit my wrist perfectly and are very comfortable for me. A lot of other G-Shocks are too big for my tastes but I've been thinking about adding another if I can find the right one. If anyone has any thoughts about the comfort and size of the 5700 line, I'd be interested. At one point I was looking at the Sneaker Freaker edition because I like the idea of a grey G and the red display. Any other recommendations for smaller Gs would also be welcome. I've never owned a Protrek and have no plans to but I've owned countless other Casios over the years, mostly cheap digitals.

Just adding some mentions so some of our Casio and G-Shock enthusiasts get to see this thread. [mention]BostonCharlie[/mention] [mention]Rocat[/mention] [mention]deckeda[/mention] [mention]BATMAN[/mention] [mention]horhay86[/mention] I'm sure there are plenty of others that I'm missing.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

The 5700's are the same modules as the 5600's, in fact, you can interchange the bezels. The 5610's are slightly different, but basically the same size with different button spacings. So if you like the square size, try one.

You can see my GWX-5700CS above. It's nice because it's a positive display, solar, atomic. And I think I bought it on one of the MLTD coupon deals for like $60, so it was a great deal.

I also wish I'd bought a Sneaker Freaker on the MLTD deal when you could get one for $100 after coupon. Regrets.

Other smaller G-Shocks that are popular right now are the "Casioaks". GA-2100 and GA-2110's. They're smaller and the thinnest G-shocks available due to their carbon core construction.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

AndyS wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:59 am ...

Other smaller G-Shocks that are popular right now are the "Casioaks". GA-2100 and GA-2110's. They're smaller and the thinnest G-shocks available due to their carbon core construction.
My son has a CasiOak, and he reports that it fits comfortably on his 6" wrist.
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:15 am My only two G-Shocks are Squares. They both get worn a fair amount. They seem to fit my wrist perfectly and are very comfortable for me. A lot of other G-Shocks are too big for my tastes but I've been thinking about adding another if I can find the right one. If anyone has any thoughts about the comfort and size of the 5700 line, I'd be interested. At one point I was looking at the Sneaker Freaker edition because I like the idea of a grey G and the red display. Any other recommendations for smaller Gs would also be welcome. I've never owned a Protrek and have no plans to but I've owned countless other Casios over the years, mostly cheap digitals.

Just adding some mentions so some of our Casio and G-Shock enthusiasts get to see this thread. @BostonCharlie @Rocat @deckeda @BATMAN @horhay86 I'm sure there are plenty of others that I'm missing.
Yinz,

Try the G/GW2310 series. They are a on the smaller side (relatively speaking). They fit smaller wristed folks quite well. The module is pretty much standard fair. But it can display two time zones simultaneously. The atomic GW-2310 is usually in the mid $80's but can go up and sometimes Amazon will post it in the mid $70's which they did last week. The solar but non atomic looks better in my opinion and is cheaper. It is usually in the lower $60's. There is no functionality difference between the two other than atomic sync. They are very robust watches and are actually modeled after the first generation Frogman. I've had both models many times and I always end up selling them only because they do not fit my wrist well. The straps are stiffer than most G-Shock straps but will conform to your wrist over time. The case design makes them nearly indestructible. Also, the EL back light on these are very bright. The digits on the 23XX series are on the smaller size compared to other G-Shocks. But since you have two squares, you will be used to the smaller digits and it will not cause you any issues.

This one is an older G-2300 model with the (in some peoples mind, better module).
IMG_2361.jpg
Here is the monochromatic Atomic GW-2310.
IMG_2723.JPG
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

Great! I ordered the G-2310R last night along with another GD-350. Amazon is obviously running understandably behind and had not processed my order. I canceled that order earlier tonight thinking that would be more money toward the SBBN031 Tuna. Then I read and replied to your post. I looked over the old photos and thought, "Why the hell not!" So thanks to you I caved and reordered just the G-2310R. Who knows, maybe if you play your cards right I might end up flipping it after I come to my senses. I mean, I don't really need it as I have plenty of digital watches. But I don't have this case shape so there's that. lol

If there members here who don't know this scene, well then, you're not a Movie Buff and....you're dead to me.. lol
3yngix.jpg
Last edited by Rocat on Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

Well if we're just posting any Casio...then this came in a couple of days ago. I'm impressed with the blue. It's so much better than the black version with the atrocious red second hand. And yes, the blue bezel and dial match.
IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:15 am My only two G-Shocks are Squares. They both get worn a fair amount. They seem to fit my wrist perfectly and are very comfortable for me. A lot of other G-Shocks are too big for my tastes but I've been thinking about adding another if I can find the right one. If anyone has any thoughts about the comfort and size of the 5700 line, I'd be interested. At one point I was looking at the Sneaker Freaker edition because I like the idea of a grey G and the red display. Any other recommendations for smaller Gs would also be welcome. I've never owned a Protrek and have no plans to but I've owned countless other Casios over the years, mostly cheap digitals.

Just adding some mentions so some of our Casio and G-Shock enthusiasts get to see this thread. @BostonCharlie @Rocat @deckeda @BATMAN @horhay86 I'm sure there are plenty of others that I'm missing.
I feel like we need to talk about those shoes :shock: . FWIW I run but all of my shoes are very subdued and I prefer grey. However, I have been toying with getting a pair of really loud shoes for races.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Rocat wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:33 pm Well if we're just posting any Casio...then this came in a couple of days ago. I'm impressed with the blue. It's so much better than the black version with the atrocious red second hand. And yes, the blue bezel and dial match.

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2667.JPG
Looks nice in the sun! I've thought about getting one of these to go with my black one, but I doubt I'd wear it as much as I do my Citizen BN0151. But if I didn't have that watch, I'd probably have one.

Looks nice on the orange NATO.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I have been gradually getting more into G-Shocks, mostly squares, but already have my on eye the G-7900 and GD-350. Originally had my eye on the King but I don't want negative display and not willing to pay the positive display price, besides I feel it's way to big and probably wouldn't get much wrist time. Will post a few of mine.

20191112_091554 (2).jpg
20191111_102322 (2).jpg
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Had to work hard to hunt this one down at a good price. Now I'm not sure it's a keeper. Thought I would really like the clear transparent strap but it's not what I envisioned and the yellow is lighter than I like, maybe a black band will enhance it.

20191225_151153 (2).jpg
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Split-Time wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:52 pm

I feel like we need to talk about those shoes :shock: . FWIW I run but all of my shoes are very subdued and I prefer grey. However, I have been toying with getting a pair of really loud shoes for races.
Sure lol. I also wear a lot of grey and other plain drab colors. Much of my wardrobe is maybe just slightly flashier than your standard civil war uniform. But shoes are one of the things that those of us with relatively plain wardrobes can use to make things a bit more colorful without going overboard. Same goes for socks, sunglasses, watches, straps, backpacks, belts maybe. As a conservative dresser, I think you'll find it's easier to "get away" with a bright orange pair of kicks than a bright orange shirt, for example. I'd say go for it on the loud shoes but don't plan on bright blue Nikes helping you run races any faster. You'll just look cooler. 8-)

And on the topic of running, G-Shock has recently come out with it's first watch with a heart rate monitor, the G-Shock Move GBD-H1000. Plenty of other tech too. Read about it HERE. Pics below.

I appreciate all the suggestions for reasonably-sized Gs. I like the size of the GW2310, although not sure about the stiff strap. Casioak is an option although I had something digital in mind. I'm in no rush but I may look to pick up a cheap 5700 to see how it fits. Or maybe I'll opt for something bigger afterall......and loud and flashy.