Let's talk G-Shocks, ProTreks, and other Casio's

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
ohhenry1
MoT Member

Re: Let's talk G-Shocks, ProTreks, and other Casio's

Post by ohhenry1 »

yinzburgher wrote:Question: How do the (male) G-Shockers out there feel about wearing a Baby-G? THIS CASIO BABY-G BGD140-1A has me thinking about that......partly because it's only $36 from CWS with code BABYG right now. It has a rather subtle "Baby-G" (rather than G-Shock) stamped on the bezel. But it's also 42mm and does not look even remotely "feminine" to me in any way. I certainly don't need another watch, let alone another black digital one. But as someone that thinks most G-Shocks are a bit too big, I'm finding myself thinking about adding this Baby-G to the rotation.

Honestly? The question has less to do with the watch than it has to do with the would-be wearer. How secure are you (or any would-be wearer) with your masculinity? Enough to wear this watch without giving a damn that it says "Baby-G"? Such a wearer, in my humble opinion, merits respect, and not the derision that "won't be" wearers imagine and fear. I say go for it, especially as $36 isn't very much of a gamble.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:21 am Question: How do the (male) G-Shockers out there feel about wearing a Baby-G? THIS CASIO BABY-G BGD140-1A has me thinking about that......partly because it's only $36 from CWS with code BABYG right now. It has a rather subtle "Baby-G" (rather than G-Shock) stamped on the bezel. But it's also 42mm and does not look even remotely "feminine" to me in any way. I certainly don't need another watch, let alone another black digital one. But as someone that thinks most G-Shocks are a bit too big, I'm finding myself thinking about adding this Baby-G to the rotation.

I too have seen Baby-Gs and thought if it didn't have that silly badge I would wear it. As if anybody but me would even notice, lol.
BATMAN
MoT Member

Post by BATMAN »

BostonCharlie wrote:
yinzburgher wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:21 am Question: How do the (male) G-Shockers out there feel about wearing a Baby-G? THIS CASIO BABY-G BGD140-1A has me thinking about that......partly because it's only $36 from CWS with code BABYG right now. It has a rather subtle "Baby-G" (rather than G-Shock) stamped on the bezel. But it's also 42mm and does not look even remotely "feminine" to me in any way. I certainly don't need another watch, let alone another black digital one. But as someone that thinks most G-Shocks are a bit too big, I'm finding myself thinking about adding this Baby-G to the rotation.

I too have seen Baby-Gs and thought if it didn't have that silly badge I would wear it. As if anybody but me would even notice, lol.
At least they didn't go with Lady G

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

to answer your question.. I was very close to buying a baby G as amazon had pretty good deals a couple of months back. The Baby G gets bad rep for the 'baby' and Casio should consider doing another line without the baby name in it.

This was actually Wolf Jr very fist watch.. and he wore it for a few days to school (2nd grade or so) and he was totally shunned for it. I tried to teach him that he should not worry about what others think... but the bullying in grade school can be very harsh. I just put a new battery in it last year.

ImageBaby G by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen:
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

And to cover both cases.. for those that may mind the Baby ... and that size is the main consideration... there is also this one that has the same case size without the Baby

this one is also closer to a regular case watch with all the G shock features.. plus a very wide strap makes it very masculine. The price is also not bad at all G-Shock G300-3AV

ImageG Shock by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

Back to our regular programming

ImageGBX 100 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

Super Tool Watch of Choice

ImageEdifice by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

Tool of a Watch
ImageEdifice by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

... this one falls into the other Casios... but very well under represented.
These are a brush of genius just missing on the 200WR but excellent for us Desk Divers

ImageIlluminator by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageIlluminator by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

These fakes are getting really good.

Plus...holy...Ali Express being Ali Express on the GA2100. Skittles.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001442440923.html
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Speaking of AliExpress, I found what looks to be a really good deal on metal 22mm adapters. $4 for these.

Finish looks a bit suspect in the close ups, but worth the risk at this price IMO. Will report back in 2-3 months ;)
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

$30 pick up from a Walmart sale posted in the deal thread. I like it! Really thin at under 11mm, nice dial color. Took it off the included bracelet, but will eventually size that up and try it that way. Looked nice, but the bracelet has rattley hollow end links.

Biggest downside? The stupid 21mm lugs. It will work fine with the 22mm NATO's, but you have to squeeze 22mm bands on.

Here it is on a nice blue leather strap from my Momentum Flatline along with a shot on a NATO. I think it will look good on brown leather as well.

Edifice Model EFV-120DB-2AVRCR
20210205_103356~2.jpg
20210204_102928.jpg
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I got this one for the positive display, liking the gray colorway too. Really liking easy to set watches, in this case set local time zone and you're done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

PetWatch wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:31 pm I got this one for the positive display, liking the gray colorway too. Really liking easy to set watches, in this case set local time zone and you're done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Looks great. Can't believe they already cancelled that one. I want one.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Since they cancelled the "natural" color GA2110's in both blue and gray and gray/gray like PetWatch's above I decided to see if I could find the blue model before they're gone. Macy's has them and have 6% cash back via Rakuten and RetailMeNot right now. $110.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/g-sh ... ryID=23930

Beware, Macy's seems to never get the boxes right. I might return if they screw it up.

I'd much rather have a positive display and truly like the gray look, but like blue as well. I'd be tempted to positive display mod it, but suspect these will jump in value when they sell out like the gray. I suspect I might eventually flip this one if they jump in price, because to be honest, I think I'd be just as happy with the black one with white hands.

Wonder if the positive display selling out so fast will make Casio understand we like positive displays.

Started thinking about this when I saw this video: