We're Moving!

Click for more info.

UNBOXING: Merkur Pierre Paulin Mechanical Chrono

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
MoT
Site Admin

UNBOXING: Merkur Pierre Paulin Mechanical Chrono

Post by MoT »

Using a code rememberd by [mention]AndroidIsAwesome[/mention], I was able to pick up this "Pierre Pauling" ST19 based chrono from Merkur for $179. It lists for $229 on their website

After a week in transit (including the 4th of July holiday) it arrived this morning. I did a "live" unboxing on our Discord chat server and now I am posting the pics here.

The box was triple-wrapped in plastic and Fedex mailers. It was actually somewhat tough to get through. Inside was a simple cardboard box.

The package was wrapped in enough bubble wrap to be five layers thick. Inside the bubble wrap is a fairly nice zippered case.

Opening the case reveals more bubble wrap on top of the watch head, along with a lot of ephemera, including an instruction manual, signed, stamped and dated warranty card, cleaning cloth, business card and an invitation to play a "game" on WUS by posting the watch there. (No thanks.)

The watch head was wrapped in plastic, and removing that showed that both the front and rear crystals had additional protectors (hard to see in the photos).

The strap is fine. It is fairly soft, and smells nice. Certainly like leather. The buckle is signed. As per usual, it is just long enough, I am able to wear it on the last hole.

I quickly switched it to a long flat black lizard, and I feel it suits the look much better.

Just for fun, here it is next to my vintage chrono with a Landeron 48.

Overall, it is a pretty impressive amount of packaging, and watch for the price paid. I wound it, which was quite smooth, and reset the chrono which sprang back to zero with a nice audible click and tactile sensation.

It's a very handsome watch, and the 38mm x 47mm size with 18mm lug width hits the sweet spot for so many collectors.

Thanks for looking!
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
MoT
Site Admin

Re: UNBOXING: Merkur Pierre Paulin Mechanical Chrono

Post by MoT »

1:17 of chronograph action.

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

[emoji33][emoji33][emoji7][emoji7] what a gorgeous watch. And a mechanical chrono with what looks like a nicely finished movement is absolutely mind boggling at that price. Thanks for the review, and I can't wait to hear some updates once you have had some time with it.

P.S. the excessive packaging looks similar to every watch I have ordered from Russia. It always amazed me that they felt the need to so heavily protect a $42 vintage Poljot[emoji23]
Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

This may very well be the watch to scratch my mechanical chronograph itch, but I'm thinking it will have to wait until after the MoT Cincinnati Watch Co collab to be purchased. It really is amazing what your good friend Pierre was able to do at that price point. Keep the pics and videos coming!