Suggest a daily watch.

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
ossamanity
MoT Member

Suggest a daily watch.

Post by ossamanity »

Hi All,

I'm looking for a daily watch as a gift to my brother. My budget is $200 quartz or mechanical, used or new. I have seen him wearing some Tag Huer sports chrono homages/copies over the years. That's all the information I have right now and that is why I'm struggling to come up with options.

So I'm looking for a reliable watch with decent build quality which can be worn in most situations and doesn't look out of place. My brother works in IT so he doesn't really have a need for a "dressy watch".

Apologies for the limited information.

These are the watvhes I have looked at so far;
Orient Kamaso (green)
Orient Ray 2
Orient Bambino
Bulova Classic
Zodiac Grandhydra
Timex Todd Snyder
MArathon Navigator

Thank you!
Last edited by ossamanity on Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: Suggest a daily watch.

Post by Boourns »

Is this a proper gift that really should be new or would you consider buying second hand?
I wish that watch were 38mm?
ossamanity
MoT Member

Post by ossamanity »

Boourns wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:41 am Is this a proper gift that really should be new or would you consider buying second hand?
I can go for a good condition second hand. Majority of watches I buy are second hand and Ihave had pretty good luck with them so far (knock on wood).
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

One of the new Seiko 5 sports watches?
I believe River Edge will be bringing these in.

https://wornandwound.com/new-watches-in ... st-update/

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

My initial thought was the older style ETA khaki mechanical. It looks good on a NATO or a leather strap. And you can get them for $210 to $240. The only downside is it's manual wind, and if you aren't a watch person that may be annoying to you.

Otherwise I think some kind of Seiko solar/kinetic or Citizen Ecodrive is probably the way to go.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Boourns wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:34 pm My initial thought was the older style ETA khaki mechanical. It looks good on a NATO or a leather strap. And you can get them for $210 to $240. The only downside is it's manual wind, and if you aren't a watch person that may be annoying to you.

Otherwise I think some kind of Seiko solar/kinetic or Citizen Ecodrive is probably the way to go.
I want to like the Khaki mechanical so badly, but they appear to have actual problems with water resistance- many reports of water intrusion from relatively low-key interaction with it.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Hey [mention]ossamanity[/mention], very generous of you.....your brother should be happy no matter what. Really good suggestions so far in addition to your initial list. Hamilton KFM is basically a classic already and I really think those new Seikos can be considered future classics. That's not a term I use often but people are really falling hard for those.

My suggestion to add to the list is the Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster "Excalibur" BN0100. Some other reference numbers and info HERE but I usually see the black dial on bracelet. Just a touch of orange with the minute hand. Otherwise not real flashy due to the brushed case and matte black dial. But I think this would be appropriate for nearly any non-formal setting. I really like the size at 41mm and under 12mm thick. Only downside is that I just looked up the lug width at 23mm (Doh!). But I think if you bought it on a bracelet you could still find NATOs and rubber strap in the right size. I think it would would look pretty good on a NATO. I'm not sure how much of a watch guy your brother is but I think an Eco-Drive is a perfect gift for anyone whether they are WIS or not. Typically non-fussy movements with cool tech that last for a long time. And even if you never even get your watch wet, there is something pretty cool about knowing your watch is capable of going 200m underwater. Good luck with the hunt.
Also, which Todd Snyder Timex were you thinking about?