SPB153 / SBDC111 New Green Willy

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

SPB153 / SBDC111 New Green Willy

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

So I’m trying out the cousin of the SPB149 now. Very pleased so far.

-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
cortman
MoT Member

Re: SPB153 / SBDC111 New Green Willy

Post by cortman »

This is one of the few new dive watches that has really caught my eye. I'm really impatient for these to hit the used market and the price to drop a bit. I think there might be room in the collection for one. What's your favorite thing about it?
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

[mention]valuewatchguy[/mention] how does it compare to the turtle that I sold you eons back in terms of size?
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

Nsjong wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:20 pm @valuewatchguy how does it compare to the turtle that I sold you eons back in terms of size?
Its on-wrist feel is like a 3/4 scale SRP Turtle. I know paper dimensions only make it seem 10-15% smaller but on wrist it wears smaller than that. The short lug to lug, the smalelr dial opening, and the beveled glass all work together to reduce the bulk of the watch.

TURTLE
Dia: 44.3mm
L2L: 48 mm
Thicknes: 13 mm
Lug Width: 22 mm

WILLARD-X
Dia: 42.7 mm
L2L: 46 mm
Thicknes: 13.2 mm
Lug Width: 20 mm

There are some articles that say the willard is 15mm.....don't believe it! No way. I think they take the embossied logo into account and measure to the tip top of the domed glass. On wrist it wears like 13.2. I actually had trouble believing its thicker than the turtle.

I think the other big contibuting factor for the Willard to wear smaller is the 20mm lug width. Even on my 7.25" wrist many 22mm straps feel like a belt strapped to my wrist. Especially if the straps didn't taper. The 20mm tapering strap of the Willard is just more comfortable. (not sure if the bracelet tapers but the ruibber strap does)

The Turtle of which I have owned.....7 I think....always just felt like it took too much wrist real estate for me. This Willard fixes all that.
-- Enjoy your time
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

Deleted duplicate post
Last edited by IKEEPGOODTIME on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Enjoy your time
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

cortman wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:52 pm This is one of the few new dive watches that has really caught my eye. I'm really impatient for these to hit the used market and the price to drop a bit. I think there might be room in the collection for one. What's your favorite thing about it?
The color, the size, and classic willard case shape are my favorite aspects. I can't say that it presents a compelling value argument to justify the price though. The new Sumos' use the same movement, sapphire glass, and ceramic insert and are available for $600-$700 most places. The Mini-turtle which is scaled simialr to the willard is $400 and can add a sapphire for $75 presents a good smaller diver option too. The finishing on the willard is good but nothing special. Better than a Turtle but not as good as a MM200 is where I would put it.

BUT the looks of the Willard are iconic for Seiko. To me it is the watch that defines Seiko divers with the Tuna/MM300 a close second.

Consider the willard like a Doxa. Doxa is way way overpriced for what you get BUT if you want the look and the history that Doxa provide there is only one choice. Same story for Wilard.

That all sounds negative. But let me add this. I sold the SPB149 within 1 week of getting it and had it for sale with 72 hours. I knew it wasn't going to last for me. This willard feels like a keeper for me. I've owned probably 5 dozen different Seiko/GS watches over the last 10 years. This and my SLA017 are my only 2 Seiko's left and it will be staying unless they release a blue dial version then it will be traded in for that. So out of 50-60 Seikos this willard is one of two keepers.

YMMV
-- Enjoy your time
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

ImageImageAnother shot
-- Enjoy your time