As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Shipping watches - advice

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
chubbledouble
MoT Member

Shipping watches - advice

Post by chubbledouble »

Hi all.

As with many of you, I am accumulating watches at a rapid clip and need to sell some old ones to make room for the new (as well as avoid the future wife's wrath). My question for you all is what have you found to the best CONUS shipping option for watches? I obviously want to get packages safely and securely to buyers but I don't want the cost to be prohibitive to selling online. What do you usually budget for shipping in your pricing?

Any help, advice or suggestions will be appreciated.
AKAs: Chubley on WUS, DukeofChubley on r/watchexchange
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Shipping watches - advice

Post by watchpalooza »

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I use good ol' USPS first class and supply my own box. You put in the dimensions and weight and can buy and print postage online. They even take Paypal. It's usually between like $8 and $30 depending on size, weight, and insurance. Shipping my 5KX was like $12 and I think I spent $26 shipping my blue Alpinist because I insured it for the ~$800 sale price.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Second vote for USPS, but I usually opt for Priority Mail with insurance. Less time in transit is worth it to me. I sold handmade goods online for a couple years, plus some occasional eBay sales, always shipping with USPS even for international sales. The only problem was a large item that I did not pack or wrap well - my fault.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

USPS is the way to go.

Signature Confirmation.

Add that to your shipping cost as well.

Usually its $20 - $25. If it's heavy and fits in a flat rate, charge them the flat rate + signature.

[mention]BillionaireDoors[/mention] may offer some advice since this relates to his "side hussle."
BillionaireDoors
MoT Member

Post by BillionaireDoors »

whoagorgeous wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:59 pm USPS is the way to go.

Signature Confirmation.

Add that to your shipping cost as well.

Usually its $20 - $25. If it's heavy and fits in a flat rate, charge them the flat rate + signature.

@BillionaireDoors may offer some advice since this relates to his "side hussle."
Add insurance to USPS because their service has been terrible the last couple months.

The way to send any high-value item is USPS Registered Mail. Just shipped a $3000 basketball card this way. $25 total to ship.