As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

File Under: Kids Say the Darnedest Things

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
deckeda
MoT Member

File Under: Kids Say the Darnedest Things

Post by deckeda »

I came home from a trip a few days ago sicker than a dog. "Dad, if you die can I have your atomic watch?"

HA! Joke's on him; I have TWO atomic watches! :? I figure, if he's gonna "get" it someday, he might as well "work" for it.

Never having tried all functions before I just noticed the one he's referring to (a used, recent eBay purchase) wasn't quite working. I couldn't hear the alarm from my G-Shock GW-5600J. Well, I could barely, but only if I held it close to my ear and it was so faint it was hearing it several rooms away.

But ... I'd already been into this watch a month ago, swapping the module into another case/"dial"/bezel combo and so maybe I screwed that up and misaligned (or lost?) the tiny spring that contacts the caseback for the alarm ...

The Boy already had a headlamp on, working on his Nintendo Switch controller. I shoved him the watch and asked him to remove the caseback and silicone shock absorber underneath. Nothing looked amiss and so we bolted it back together, with me ready to ask online WTF do I do now .... But when he started pressing buttons I heard it beep-beep-beeping with each button press.

"Did you activate that feature? Because I can't remember if I'd turned it off previously."

"No."

We set a quick countdown timer to verify the alarm is audible, which it also now is.

And now for the punchline, "It's like I'm a Mechanical Genius!"

Yeah, kid. "Like."

The picture below, after last month's operation.
Attachments
GW-5600J red bezel copy.png
GW-5600J red bezel copy.png (323.62 KiB) Viewed 2675 times